Lydon on Draft Express | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon on Draft Express

Yup. Fair and Kris Joseph were both good players who looked better when they were a secondary option in my opinion.

Though Battle as a freshman showed a more developed offensive game than either of those guys. But we will definitely need some of the newcomers to be ready to contribute right away offensively.

I agree, Battle was much further ahead of them. One thing that could hurt Battle quite a bit is that there isn't another perimeter threat and the paint is going to be quite crowded when he tries to drive where as last season we had such weapons out there.

He has the tools and I think he can succeed, but he may have the most pressure on him than a single player for this program in a long time. Our season is going to rely on him so much.

I agree, Battle was much further ahead of them. One thing that could hurt Battle quite a bit is that there isn't another perimeter threat and the paint is going to be quite crowded when he tries to drive where as last season we had such weapons out there.

He has the tools and I think he can succeed, but he may have the most pressure on him than a single player for this program in a long time. Our season is going to rely on him so much.
Don't forget Thompson has a nice outside shot. I can see them running a lot of plays where Thompson cuts outside and brings his man with him and opens the lane for Battle. No matter who is running the point I think we see the ball in Battle's hands a lot this year. Similar to Silent G.

That's a fair assessment, but I also think he's a better shooter than he showed last year. Something just didn't seem right with him down the stretch.

Something definitely didn't seem right down the stretch. I think he finished the year 9 for his last 46 from three. The weird thing is that his form didn't deteriorate so the change in accuracy was kind of baffling. I do think he's a good shooter, I just worry about how he's going to do with bigger, better defenders on him.

I honestly think Lydon's shooting prowess is a bit overrated. He has a beautiful looking stroke, no doubt, and his numbers look pretty good on paper, and I'm sure he absolutely tears it up in shooting drills.

But I think you need to factor in that that 39.5% on 3s is on only WIDE OPEN shots. I mean, Lydon never ever ever shot the ball unless there was no one within 5-10 feet of him. Contrast that with Andrew White, who shot a higher percentage when many, many of those looks were contested. If you gave White the same exact same set of 3 point shots that Lydon took, I'd venture he'd have easily hit more than 50% of them, if not closer to 60%. I just really worry about Lydon's ability to get a perimeter shot off in the NBA, given his hesitance to do so in ACC play.

I would say in 2016 most of his shots were wide open. I'm not sure of that in 2017. Up until the game at Pitt he was playing pretty well and if you look at the tape he was making shots in peoples faces against UNC and Notre Dame. I do think he and White for whatever reason had a hard time sharing the court together. When White had a good game it seemed like Lydon would disappear and vice versa.

Something definitely didn't seem right down the stretch. I think he finished the year 9 for his last 46 from three. The weird thing is that his form didn't deteriorate so the change in accuracy was kind of baffling. I do think he's a good shooter, I just worry about how he's going to do with bigger, better defenders on him.
He had that stretch in the middle of the season where he was playing like a first team AA and then went cold. Had to be something either mental or physical or just plain fatigue but he definitely was a different player.

The question I have about Battle is if his shooting percentage decreases how do NBA teams view that? I could see him not shooting as well this year, but scoring more points just because he has more defensive attention on him. We've seen that before.

Don't forget Thompson has a nice outside shot. I can see them running a lot of plays where Thompson cuts outside and brings his man with him and opens the lane for Battle. No matter who is running the point I think we see the ball in Battle's hands a lot this year. Similar to Silent G.

I would not be surprised in the least if Thompson is our leading scorer in 2017-18. He was a very efficient scorer last year with the highest points per minute average on the team. I don't expect that average to stay above 0.5 points per minute when he's up over 30 minutes a game and he becomes a focal point of the offense, but it would be shocking if it fell off completely.

The question I have about Battle is if his shooting percentage decreases how do NBA teams view that? I could see him not shooting as well this year, but scoring more points just because he has more defensive attention on him. We've seen that before.

That's where I'm at with this. I wouldn't be shocked if he shot 33-34% from three this year or slightly less. I've seen other guards with amazing skills that couldn't shoot get drafted. I think they'll see the potential from his first year and give him the benefit of the doubt that he can shoot and it went down due to circumstance. Battle has a lot on his shoulders this year.

I really think if he gets drafted in the first round, it'll be late. I say second round. I know I'm in the minority around here with that opinion.

I basically agree. I see late first round at best and I still think he will land there. But I wouldn't be shocked at 2nd round. Hopefully he lands in a good situation regardless.

Worked out for the Magic yesterday who have pick 25.

Also Robey performed at a pro day with Kennard and John Collins.

I saw that. I said earlier in the thread that 25 is about the earliest he'd be drafted.

That pro day footage was all Kennard and Collins, with about 2 secs of TR not doing anything at the end. I think Collins is a future all star. Love his game for the NBA.

I really think if he gets drafted in the first round, it'll be late. I say second round. I know I'm in the minority around here with that opinion.

I think you're in the majority, honestly. Feel like I'm the only one who thinks he goes top 20, and has a chance at the lottery. Plus, I'm probably the only one willing to put my left nut on the line that he goes 1st round. Just no way he doesn't go 1st round unless something insane happens.

I think you're in the majority, honestly. Feel like I'm the only one who thinks he goes top 20, and has a chance at the lottery. Plus, I'm probably the only one willing to put my left nut on the line that he goes 1st round. Just no way he doesn't go 1st round unless something insane happens.
You should take your left nut and bet it on the warriors

I'll put your left nut on the line also. Won't put mine, but I'm okay with risking yours

I saw that. I said earlier in the thread that 25 is about the earliest he'd be drafted.

That pro day footage was all Kennard and Collins, with about 2 secs of TR not doing anything at the end. I think Collins is a future all star. Love his game for the NBA.

Hard to say for sure on Lydon. The Highest he's worked out for I believe is 17 and lowest is 27.

I know the board is down on Robey, but I'm sure he will get a shot in the D league. Maybe being away from JB can make him a better player.

You should take your left nut and bet it on the warriors

Funny you mention that. At the beginning of the season I made that offer on the gambling forum I reside at. I haven't even watched much NBA this year. Except for some Knicks, or Magic games and random games I bet on. Unless something crazy happens the Warriors win the next 3.

Whoops. Meant next 3 Championships, not games. Cavs probably snag one game.

Last edited:
I'll put your left nut on the line also. Won't put mine, but I'm okay with risking yours

Well, I'm not splitting the money then, if I have to be the only one that splits the sack of loose change.

I know it seems like a joke, but I would literally put my leftie up for some money. I'm a gambler, but this isn't even much of a gamble. Easiest bet of my life. Though, the Falcons blew a 25 point lead, and cost me like 7500.

Hard to say for sure on Lydon. The Highest he's worked out for I believe is 17 and lowest is 27.

I know the board is down on Robey, but I'm sure he will get a shot in the D league. Maybe being away from JB can make him a better player.

You really don't think Robey is even Gatorade League? I think he carves out a career overseas.

Yeah, I said I'm in the minority. I wouldn't be shocked by late first but I'm saying second. Hope like hell I am wrong.

Edit: OH, you said I'm in the MAJORITY? I misread that, probably because in my head, I expected you to say MINORITY. I really think most people on this board are projecting him to go higher than I am. One thing that might help Lydon is I haven't heard the foreign talent pool being that amazing this year.

Last edited:
You really don't think Robey is even Gatorade League? I think he carves out a career overseas.

I think there's a decent chance he can make a G league team. FWIW Cooney was starting by the end of the year. If he can show himself to be an elite rebounder there he will get a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom