Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft

There are often bad drafts. The 2002 NBA Draft is widely regarded as of the worst ever.

To be fair the 3 best players in that draft all had their careers ruined because of injury(Jay Will/Amare/Yao).

I don't get why people are shocked. You should have expected it. The only people who were shocked are the people who think it's still the 1990's and you need to average 20 a game in college to get drafted.

If combines were worthless how do you explain Dion/Malachi? I trust NBA experts more than I trust Biancardi and Vitale who are strictly college analysts, but that's my opinion.

Dion was somebody who rated highly on some of the advanced metrics that the Cavs used at the time, so they drafted him "higher" than what most projected.

That says nothing about his talent / potential -- just pointing out that's why he went #4.

Vitale was a regular at the Nike Elite camps in the 80s and 90s. Biancardi leads ESPN's high school scouting services. To discredit their words because they aren't in the NBA is foolish.

The irony here is that the knock on Chad Ford from the "he's not ready" crowd is that if he REALLY knew what he was talking about he'd be working for a team, not ESPN.

I don't get why people are shocked. You should have expected it. The only people who were shocked are the people who think it's still the 1990's and you need to average 20 a game in college to get drafted.

If combines were worthless how do you explain Dion/Malachi? I trust NBA experts more than I trust Biancardi and Vitale who are strictly college analysts, but that's my opinion.

Serious question because I've forgotten...didn't Dion skip the combine entirely?

Otherwise I agree entirely with your post.

To paraphrase Judge Smails, "Danny, the world needs ditch diggers, too". And likewise, the D league needs former 1st and 2nd round picks to fill their rosters.
Heh. Actually thought of that quote when I wrote this.

But he was talking about the massive declines in overall labor participation rates

Serious question because I've forgotten...didn't Dion skip the combine entirely?

Otherwise I agree entirely with your post.

We are half right. He got a guarantee and left

The irony here is that the knock on Chad Ford from the "he's not ready" crowd is that if he REALLY knew what he was talking about he'd be working for a team, not ESPN.

I guarantee he gets more from ESPN than he would a NBA team as a scout. Sports does not pay well outside of those actually producing the product. Front office positions (incl. GM) are low to mid six figures.

I guarantee he gets more from ESPN than he would a NBA team as a scout. Sports does not pay well outside of those actually producing the product. Front office positions (incl. GM) are low to mid six figures.

That's obviously true but it's a fact many on your side overlooked when Ford was projecting Cmac as a late first rounder.

We'll see. I've always thought combines were useless. You have two seasons worth of game tape. That should be enough to evaluate talent. When you have a number of talent evaluators, including Paul Biancardi and Dick Vitale among others, say he needs one more year, you have to consider what they are saying. People that I've talked to that have no ties/interest in SU basketball were legitimately shocked when he declared. On paper, this is a very deep draft. His production at the end of the year didn't do him any favors, but let other people on here tell it that I have an axe to grind.
Why would it be useless to see top talent gathered in one place, running through various drills and potentially going at each other head to head?

i read it's now $20 for a tyler lydon autograph ? maybe i can catch him pre game in hoopleville N.H. for a freebie.
IMG_0845.GIF

-Tyler Lydon

Why would it be useless to see top talent gathered in one place, running through various drills and potentially going at each other head to head?

I'm going to repeat myself. You have two years worth of game tape that tells you everything about a player including his strengths and weaknesses. If a couple of drills changes your mind, you're not a good scout.

I'm going to repeat myself. You have two years worth of game tape that tells you everything about a player including his strengths and weaknesses. If a couple of drills changes your mind, you're not a good scout.
It's the same reason they bring more than one player to their city. Instead of an individual workout, it's a group workout. Lots of things they see up close and personal. I think you know the process is more than what's on paper.

Can' wait til next year when Battle declares ...

Indeed. The comedy of this board is that, while today 90% of folks on this board fully expect Battle to leave after next season, once he does at least half of those same people will decry his decision as a bad one and proclaim that the world is spinning of its axis (which it may be, incidentally given the current state of our nation, but not because Battle did what we all know he will do).

Indeed. The comedy of this board is that, while today 90% of folks on this board fully expect Battle to leave after next season, once he does at least half of those same people will decry his decision as a bad one and proclaim that the world is spinning of its axis (which it may be, incidentally given the current state of our nation, but not because Battle did what we all know he will do).

Well, the reality is, if he isn't hitting 60% of his threes next year, he should definitely come back.

Where the heck is the sarcasm font again?

You're right. As you pointed out in an earlier post, it would be better to go with Dick Vitale's evaluation, as he's probably seen Lydon play a half dozen times in two years while babbling about something other than the game going on in front of him.

I'm not sure I quite understand why everyone who questions a player's decision is ridiculous. I mean, I'm pretty sure if a player blows up and puts up Kennard-like numbers the vast majority of people here, while perhaps disappointed, will wish the player well and thank our lucky stars that we recruited him. When a player is OK and/or struggles, it seems only natural to me to wonder about the decision to leave for the nba -- particularly in this case as we're not even sure he's a first-rounder anymore. Doesn't seem crazy or overboard to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom