Lydon | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon

I'm hearing that him going to the NBA is not a guarantee. Fully expect him to participate in the combine. Not saying he is coming back for sure but better chances than what I was hearing at the beginning of the season which the talk was he was 100% gone. That's all I got on it right now. Also fully expect Tyus to come back. A trio of Battle, Thompson and Lydon would be nice for next year.

I don't think he's coming back. I'd put his chances of being back at maybe 30%. That said, if he does, he needs to dedicate himself to getting into the weight room and working on his conditioning. He needs to add muscle and get into shape. I've said this over and over again, but it's apparent that he was not in great physical shape this year.

He played big minutes. (Ugh. I'm talking like the season is over.) I give him credit for that. But he looked like he was carrying too much weight and not good weight.

I have little confidence he will ever be an alpha dog but he CAN get in better shape.

Last edited:
I don't think he's coming back. I'd put his chances of being back at maybe 30%. That said, if he does, he needs to dedicate himself to getting into the weight room and working on his conditioning. He needs to add muscle and get into shape. I've said this over and over again, but it's apparent that he was not on great physical shape this year.

He played big minutes. (Ugh. I'm talking like the season is over.) I give him credit for that. But he looked like he was carrying too much weight and not good weight.

I have little confidence he will ever be an alpha dog but he CAN get in better shape.

I agree with this. He has regressed athletically from last year.

But it's not just physical shape. He appears to lack confidence in his game even at this level. Imagine him taking the next step.

I think he has issues beyond just physical development.

I don't think he's coming back. I'd put his chances of being back at maybe 30%. That said, if he does, he needs to dedicate himself to getting into the weight room and working on his conditioning. He needs to add muscle and get into shape. I've said this over and over again, but it's apparent that he was not in great physical shape this year.

That's way too low the way he has been playing.

I think both Battle and Lydon will be combine beasts and wind up going. We'll survive.

If that happens we become Bc, but its not going to unless both kids completely lose their minds.

He'd land a job next year or the year after playing in Europe making good money.

That's a job.

You can have your opinion that he eventually plays in Europe and that is fine but his first professional contract is going to be a 1st round NBA contract. What happens after that one is up to him

I think it comes down to how much he enjoys college if he hates school then leave. If he likes school then he should stay...

If he comes out this year in 4 years he could find himself in the exact same place in his career and that is playing over seas. If he stays in college at least he could leave with a degree I guess.

I loved SUNY Cortland. Had an awesome time. If someone gave me 1-1.3M a year for 3 years I would have left immediately

I think it comes down to how much he enjoys college if he hates school then leave. If he likes school then he should stay...

If he comes out this year in 4 years he could find himself in the exact same place in his career and that is playing over seas. If he stays in college at least he could leave with a degree I guess.

Also: He could have left last year, this year, next year, or after his senior year and the fact remains; he could still end up over seas 4 years after he goes pro.

Also: He could have left last year, this year, next year, or after his senior year and the fact remains; he could still end up over seas 4 years after he goes pro.
I'd give both my nuts for that option

I'd give both my nuts for that option

What option? Lol. I was saying he could still end up in Europe regardless of when he declared. Unless you'd give them up for you to go play overseas lol

this is the 5th or 6th time I've read the highlighted sentiment today, and I find it stunning.

your opinion is your opinion and I am not trying to denigrate it or talk you out of it . . . but, to me, basketball as it is being played in the NBA today is the best it has ever been. Maybe not if you are watching Sacramento vs Brooklyn, but even games between non-playoff teams - say, Minnesota vs Charlotte - are fun to watch and stocked with talented players doing amazing things. To me, it is college ball that is unwatchable. I grew up a Syracuse fan and that's why I still watch, but other than the Orange, the college game is putrid. And, frankly, even with the Orange the last few years.

And to get this back on topic: I don't see a postion for Lydon in the NBA. I'm sure he'll get drafted and fill out a roster for a few years, but he is much smaller than the typical NBA stretch 4 and he's not skilled enough to be a 3. And if he's afraid to shoot against the likes of Miami and Ga Tech, what's he going to do when Draymond Green is defending him?
I agree that the NBA product is far superior to what people on this board state. The college game is the one that is lacking. I disagree a little bit on Lydon at the next level. I think he finds a spot because he won't be being guarded by guys like Draymond Green. He will be the guy the other team lets beat them. I also think he hasn't been healthy all year and when he is healthy and playing in a system that fits his game - he is going to impact on the glass and with blocks. He's not going to be a star but I think he gets a second contract at minimum.

I put the chance Lydon returns at 60% yes. He does have one NBA level skill right now and that is his shooting. But he's having trouble getting his shot off against college players shorter than him right now. How's he going to do when guys are his height, quicker and more athletic? No matter what anyone says he isn't ready to be an NBA player. He may be ready to be drafted and make late 1st round money and spend a couple years becoming invisible and not playing any meaningful basketball though. I understand the money thing but it can be a little short sighted. Who has heard of Tyler Ennis, Chris McCullough or Malachi Richardson since they left outside of SU fans? If they had stayed in school each of them could have/would have been on the cover of magazines and leading highlight shows on the tip of everybody's tongue. Instead they are nobodies with a million or 2 bucks in the bank or on the way. They averaged a combined 8.8 points and 22 minutes per game this year. They are not relevant. I hope Tyler looks at that. Is going to class that much hassle? Ennis was never going to be drafted any higher. He also was never going to get any better and I am still waiting for him to display a single NBA level skill. Tyler will get better. He has an NBA skill but not skill(s). BMOC for another year and maybe develop into a lottery pick or ride the pine for a few hundred grand in the bank next this year. That's the choice.

One last point on lydon if I may. I believe some of you are confusing the actual triple threat position with shot fakes. Watched the DVR last night. My son just took a shooting clinic and the position he was taught includes bringing the ball up to about shoulder height. Don't fault him for having decent fundamentals.

One last point on lydon if I may. I believe some of you are confusing the actual triple threat position with shot fakes. Watched the DVR last night. My son just took a shooting clinic and the position he was taught includes bringing the ball up to about shoulder height. Don't fault him for having decent fundamentals.

I agree that the fundamentals are there, but I'd gather half of the times he does it he has the spacing and is in position to shoot.

I love the pump fake and I wish more of our guys over time utilized it but with Lydon it's really hurting the team and his own game.

I agree that the fundamentals are there, but I'd gather half of the times he does it he has the spacing and is in position to shoot.

I love the pump fake and I wish more of our guys over time utilized it but with Lydon it's really hurting the team and his own game.

Some of them are pump fakes. Others are not. It's just good ball position, which also resulted in at least 2 of his 4 assists yesterday.

The Nba playoffs are a lot of fun, the regular season is a bore, and everyone makes the playoffs, and this year there are two teams that can win a title.
well, there are two teams that are favored, but that's not the same as there being only 2 that can win. there are 3 teams that can come out of the West (and Utah is making a late push to be a legitimate 4th contender). In the East, Boston is a real threat to Cleveland. Toronto would be, too, if Lowry can get back. I would not be at all surprised if one or even both of Warriors/Cavs stumble before the Finals.

Do people believe that if he stays for a 3rd and or 4th year he will automatically be better and less likely to see the D-League?

Do people really not believe that playing basketball full time (NBA / DLeague) will make you better than being a college basketball player? More competition, better facilities, more coaching, no classes, etc.

I understand the look that if he goes and is on a DLeague team at ANY point next year people will view it as a failure - but it's not. It's a kid working his ass off to make it in the NBA. Staying at 'Cuse for a 3rd and or 4th year doesn't mean he will get better. I'd argue it hurts his chances. His chances. Not every basketball player who walks into the carrier dome. Every case is different.

It has nothing to do with D league vs college , getting better, etc. Those are all side issues. The only reason to come back is to get drafted higher because the higher you are drafted, the greater investment an organization made in you, and the more likely they are to give you every chance to succeed since they made that investment. It goes against the economic theory of sunk costs but it is how every single team operates.

well, there are two teams that are favored, but that's not the same as there being only 2 that can win. there are 3 teams that can come out of the West (and Utah is making a late push to be a legitimate 4th contender). In the East, Boston is a real threat to Cleveland. Toronto would be, too, if Lowry can get back. I would not be at all surprised if one or even both of Warriors/Cavs stumble before the Finals.

Golden state is vulnerable without a healthy durant. Cavs have no threat to them in the east if healthy . The celtics are a team whose record belies their peripherals. The raptors are second tier. the Wizzards are actually the only team I think that can hang with the cavs and only IF Beal and wall are on their games

It has nothing to do with D league vs college , getting better, etc. Those are all side issues. The only reason to come back is to get drafted higher because the higher you are drafted, the greater investment an organization made in you, and the more likely they are to give you every chance to succeed since they made that investment. It goes against the economic theory of sunk costs but it is how every single team operates.

IF he improves enough he can increase his stock. But how many times does that happen for guys coming back and getting into the lottery? I don't see it happening. If I were him I would leave and get taken by a team 18-25 because they are a better team, better situation.

i think sr. john wallace went 18th to the knicks. question . who was a better college player Jdub or Lydon ?

CUSE IS DA HOUSE!! OH MY GOD MY GOD

i think sr. john wallace went 18th to the knicks. question . who was a better college player Jdub or Lydon ?

CUSE IS DA HOUSE!! OH MY GOD MY GOD

Wallace was a better alpha dog and ball handler. Probably a toss up defensively though with edge to Lydon for his prowess blocking the ball and versatility on D, playing multiple positions. It is an interesting question but when you think about it, not a slam dunk in JW's favor like I initially thought it was.

Wallace was a better alpha dog and ball handler. Probably a toss up defensively though with edge to Lydon for his prowess blocking the ball and versatility on D, playing multiple positions. It is an interesting question but when you think about it, not a slam dunk in JW's favor like I initially thought it was.

What the hell are you talking about? SR Wallace had one of the single best seasons in 'Cuse history. Lydon is no where near Wallace. Also, Lydon's shot blocking numbers are pretty much identical to Wallace, so there is no edge there.

We probably will never see Lydon as a Senior so not sure why it is even a comparison. Their freshman and sophomore number should are pretty comparable. You can't compare players across eras anymore because we never see these guys reach Wallace senior year potential. Hakim Warrick is probably the last guy you will see like that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom