Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr

Are you sure he said "Crap" or is that a alternative term they are using?

But lets try a test. Next time you are around a cop, call him a piece of crap or shxt and let us know what happens.

Let's try this test - next time you're around a cop, give him a nice, hard two-hand shove with an angry look, and see how that turns out.

It also is a bit annoying that certain talking heads took the pretend racial element and ran with it. Jalen Rose sounded like a complete tool on Sunday NBA Countdown.

Much like the media did with John Lewis's bogus accusation of racist slurs at a Tea Party rally.

I've gone back and forth on this thing a dozen times. Still not sure where I stand on Orr. But if all he said was the piece of crap comment then Smart got off easy with the 3 games. Not only is it assault and battery, but a fan just can't go into the stands. You just can't and it can't be tolerated at all. This whole thing could have escalated.

Let's try this test - next time you're around a cop, give him a nice, hard two-hand shove with an angry look, and see how that turns out.

Semi-clever comeback.

What we were discussing was the illegality or verbal assault (Calling names). And the advisability of it under situations where you aren't protected. We know putting your hands on someone os a bad idea. But if I was on that jury I'd vote to acquit in a heartbeat using the justification that Orr started it.

Easy to call people P.O.S. when you are sure they can't come and get you. Or should I say "cowardly". Because Orr is a coward and a moron.

Semi-clever comeback.

What we were discussing was the illegality or verbal assault (Calling names). And the advisability of it under situations where you aren't protected. We know putting your hands on someone os a bad idea. But if I was on that jury I'd vote to acquit in a heartbeat using the justification that Orr started it.

Easy to call people P.O.S. when you are sure they can't come and get you. Or should I say "cowardly". Because Orr is a coward and a moron.
do you think that if I call a cop a piece of crap he has the right to beat me up?

I know that most will do that if they think they can get away with it, because the fact of the matter is that most cops are pieces of crap, but what is fascinating is that you think that is OK and justified behavior.

You probably don't believe that, but you are willing to pretend that you are because that is the only "argument" you have left in your arsenal.

Townie72 said:
Semi-clever comeback. What we were discussing was the illegality or verbal assault (Calling names). And the advisability of it under situations where you aren't protected. We know putting your hands on someone os a bad idea. But if I was on that jury I'd vote to acquit in a heartbeat using the justification that Orr started it. Easy to call people P.O.S. when you are sure they can't come and get you. Or should I say "cowardly". Because Orr is a coward and a moron.

He might be a moron but how many times do you see someone get acquitted of assault and battery by using the defense "but he called me a name"?

Does worse stuff get said? Absolutely. The bigger question is, is this stuff getting out of hand? The reaction to the kid from Auburn, AL declaring that he is going to Alabama would be evidence that it is. The danger is to assume grownups calling college athletes names has always happened and always will, so there is nothing to get upset over.

A similar situation is fans getting in fights. Has that been going on since sports have been around? For sure. Will it always happen? Of course. But just shrugging and saying "boys will be boys" explains how hooliganism became an epidemic in 1980s English soccer.

Semi-clever comeback.

I really don't understand this attitude. If I'm at a bar and accidentally bump someone and they turn around and call me a piece of crap or a piece of shhh I don't push them or start swinging.

He might be a moron but how many times do you see someone get acquitted of assault and battery by using the defense "but he called me a name"?

I don't really know.

But I have been on a jury that acquitted a guy of a similar charge because they felt it was justified.

I really don't understand this attitude. If I'm at a bar and accidentally bump someone and they turn around and call me a piece of crap or a piece of shhh I don't push them or start swinging.

So words don't matter?

and what looks to be a person of color standing right behind him.

OSU has been losing, and Smart has been displaying increasing frustration. He snapped, its understandable and, I think, even somewhat excusable.

what is not excusable is trying to turn this into a racial incident with zero evidence. Orr is not the classiest guy on earth, to say the least, but in this day in age, painting someone as a racist is a terrible blow to someone's character. To do so falsely is far, far worse than what either he or Smart did, IMO.

Bullseye! I wish more attention would be paid towards this, as indeed, it is far greater the crime here...

Townie72 said:
I don't really know. But I have been on a jury that acquitted a guy of a similar charge because they felt it was justified.

So you've been on a jury that acquitted a person of assault and battery because the other person called him or her a piece of crap? I'll hold my comments on that type of jury.

So words don't matter?

In the grand scheme of things, MOST words don't matter. Yes, there are exceptions. But in my example above, what do I gain because I try and get physical with someone that called me a piece of crap/piece of ####? He has a friend and they both start wailing on me? He stabs me?

What did Marcus Smart gain by pushing Jeff Orr? A three game suspension and a whole lot of media attention.

In the grand scheme of things, MOST words don't matter. Yes, there are exceptions. But in my example above, what do I gain because I try and get physical with someone that called me a piece of crap/piece of ####? He has a friend and they both start wailing on me? He stabs me?

What did Marcus Smart gain by pushing Jeff Orr? A three game suspension and a whole lot of media attention.

Of course, he lost. He didn't gain.

But I'm trying to point out that it was Orr that provoked it. Orr says nothing and nothing happens.

I am also saying that it is fundamentally wrong for fans to verbally abuse players from the supposed safety of their seats. As it turns out, Orr has a history of this sort of thing.

Orr is the P.O.S. as is, IMO, anybody at a college sporting event that is verbally abusing players. And I doubt Or would call Smart a P.O.S. in a situation in where it was just Orr and Smart.

Bullseye! I wish more attention would be paid towards this, as indeed, it is far greater the crime here...

If that's what happened.

And if Orr said, "Go back to Africa", what's that? I thought Orr was a Air Traffic Controller and not a travel agent.

Semi-clever comeback.

Whew. Good thing you stopped short of calling him a "piece of crap". Otherwise, we could charge you with "verbal assault".

If that's what happened.

And if Orr said, "Go back to Africa", what's that? I thought Orr was a Air Traffic Controller and not a travel agent.

but he didn't say that. there is a mass of evidence that no racial or racially tinged comments were made . . . why keep pretending otherwise?

If that's what happened.

Well, I'm of the belief that had he made the 'N' word comment as Smart alleged, certainly folks around him likely would've heard it, therefore, revealed during the apparent investigation. It certainly doesn't appear to be the case. I think Smart quickly realized his huge blunder by assaulting the fan and the considerable fallout that would ensue, so he played the ultimate trump card. In my book, he's an opportunist...and a disgrace.

Well, I'm of the belief that had he made the 'N' word comment as Smart alleged, certainly folks around him likely would've heard it, therefore, revealed during the apparent investigation. It certainly doesn't appear to be the case. I think Smart quickly realized his huge blunder by assaulting the fan and the considerable fallout that would ensue, so he played the ultimate trump card. In my book, he's an opportunist...and a disgrace.

And how would you characterize Orr?

What's he?

but he didn't say that. there is a mass of evidence that no racial or racially tinged comments were made . . . why keep pretending otherwise?
Because their are large numbers of people out there who need an imaginary template when forming opinions about others - individuals or groups. Never mind that the template is not factual - what matters is the "feeling".

So you've been on a jury that acquitted a person of assault and battery because the other person called him or her a piece of crap? I'll hold my comments on that type of jury.

Thereby providing us the confidence that the legitimacy of our system of jurisprudence comes down to twelve people who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty.

Last edited:
And how would you characterize Orr?

What's he?

Well, as others have eluded, a jackass, heckler, etc. Over the many years of being at various venues watching sporting events, I've heard far worse...as others here have also mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom