Marek Dolezaj | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

Also found a interview with him from 2015, at that point he was moving to Spain to improve his game, I am relying on google chrome to translate so things are confusing.

Many young players choose the American way, you think of it?

"In high school, I certainly would not go, because there is a basketball only three months into the season. That would be me missing. Attracted me. The university is but something else, what I like, but it's still young. "

Can we recruit her as a grad transfer, or does she need to sit out a year? Hoping the latter. She can stay with me off campus.

Would love to hear something on either. Hoping that Geno gets an offer. Love his game. Same with Marek. His height would be nice at the 3. Looks like he plays with a lot of energy, so would probably be a better defender than JT. Shooting TBD. Marek, and OB could handle the 3 then our frontcourt is good to go.
I thought all Euro dudes can shoot. Especially free throws.

I thought all Euro dudes can shoot. Especially free throws.

Unfortunately not. I could see him as a more skilled KOng. High energy, good defender, and rebounder with the ability to play the 3. Throw in better shooting, and scoring ability. Looks like he can shoot 30-35 percent from deep. Probably on the lower end at first, but we're all guessing. Good enough to keep the D honest, and can attack the basket. Hopefully can hit at least 70% from the line.

The staff likes him from what we have heard from those in the know. With some more time, and coaching, it seems that he has great upside. Worst case looks to be that he plays hard, defends and rebounds. I hope he ends up here, and has no issues qualifying.

Would take him, and Thorpe over him, and Tucker. Now just have to land the two.

Not being a knockdown shooter makes this kid a luxury not a necessity. Thorpe or similar is much higher priority for next season imo...

What is this based upon? JLine's post above?

He's not a good shooter sort of like how this board said Battle would struggle to shoot the three ball going into last season. The bottom line is none of us really know how good this kid is or what his skill set is other than a couple crappy videos and some info that filtered out after his visit which was very positive.

From the limited highlights from that game, he does look like a skinny high energy forward with rebounding/some shot blocking, no? Unfortunately, that's like the ONE position we are set at for next season. Moyer and Brissett can provide that at the very least this year.
I think a FH/Thorpe/Battle top line could be similar to our last FF team; with Battle playing like Malachi in the Tourney, except all season long...

From the limited highlights from that game, he does look like a skinny high energy forward with rebounding/some shot blocking, no? Unfortunately, that's like the ONE position we are set at for next season. Moyer and Brissett can provide that at the very least this year.
I think a FH/Thorpe/Battle top line could be similar to our last FF team; with Battle playing like Malachi in the Tourney, except all season long...

Dolezaj not being able to shoot is an unsubstantiated claim being thrown about as board "fact."

Agree that he's skinny, and needs to physically mature.

No, he looks like a wing forward. Dolezaj not being able to shoot is an unsubstantiated claim being thrown about as board "fact."

Agree that he's skinny, and need to physically mature.
Hey, if it proves that Dolezaj is a "true" shooting wing? Absolutely bring him in; would help this season with what we need most from the forwards, and won't scare off '18 prospects. That's a win/win...

I have to admit, I'm surprised he wasn't offered today.
Do we know for sure he wasn't offered. Besides someone announcing it these days on their twitter account, does the school announce it. I'm thinking they don't so is it possible it is considered a "silent offer".

He's not a good shooter sort of like how this board said Battle would struggle to shoot the three ball going into last season. The bottom line is none of us really know how good this kid is or what his skill set is other than a couple crappy videos and some info that filtered out after his visit which was very positive.

Battle not a 3 point shooter, Roberson a good mid range shooter from the high post...I'm not buying any of it anymore.

So I contacted a Slovakian basketball reporter that has interviewed Dolezaj to try and get any insight, he hasn't really heard any of the coming to the States talk but he gave me a bit of insight on his past, he ended up leaving for a Spanish school and played for a Spanish youth team for a brief period of time, he played last season with Karlovka Bratislava in Slovakia. He said this on his game "He needs to get weight and practise more shoot, but potential is great, he has hands for assists and great feeling for offensive rbd".

Last edited:
Nobody really knew about him until last week. So I think it's a situation similar to Yurtseven, where he'll most likely take a few visits in the spring and then decide after that. If SU gets a visit then then you know is about to get real.

Any connection between him and the womens team commit from the same place in Slovakia? Would not be the first time a guy has wanted to go where a girl is. I just think that is pretty coincidental that we have a female commit from Slovakia and now all of a sudden we hear about him.

Just to be clear. I never said he couldn't shoot, and made it known we were all just guessing. Also, that the staff likes him. I'm just throwing numbers out, and thoughts because not much else to talk about.

To be fair, given the lack of information on him, pretty much everything about this guy is an unsubstantiated claim.

Except that's he's skinny, and needs to physically mature as long as RF agrees.

To be fair, given the lack of information on him, pretty much everything about this guy is an unsubstantiated claim.

All evidence of his past has been erased to protect the innocent...players he's broken on the floor.

Gosh I hope history classes in Slovakia count. ;)

There's more information out there about this guy than just what has been summarized in the PS. The coaching staff views him as a shooter.

Except that's he's skinny, and needs to physically mature as long as RF agrees.

Comparing him to Kong isn't a very good scouting report -- let's agree on that.

Do we have a backup plan to Euro because he isn't a guarantee either...?

Do we have a backup plan to Euro because he isn't a guarantee either...?

There are other guys out there but I believe the staff is expecting him to commit in the near future. Its not like he flew over from Slovakia and visited 3 or 4 schools of interest. He flew over to visit SU, both sides thought the visit went great and he flew back home.