Marek Dolezaj | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

There's more information out there about this guy than just what has been summarized in the PS. The coaching staff views him as a shooter.

Comparing him to Kong isn't a very good scouting report -- let's agree on that.

Absolutely agree. As I only compared a bit about him to KOng. I should have just said I can see him being a high energy defender who could be a good rebounder.

Regardless, would love to get him. Love Thorpe, and Ayala so I agree when you mentioned that it's tough to decide if it would be better to just get Thorpe for a year, or Ayala for TBD. But, gotta take whoever wants to come at this point.

Three good players. Thorpe would have the biggest impact next year, IMO. Which is probably obvious, but we are building for the next few years so Ayala may be the way to go. If he's planning on coming. Getting ahead of myself with the little bit of information we have.

Absolutely agree. As I only compared a bit about him to KOng. I should have just said I can see him being a high energy defender who could be a good rebounder.

Regardless, would love to get him. Love Thorpe, and Ayala so I agree when you mentioned that it's tough to decide if it would be better to just get Thorpe for a year, or Ayala for TBD. But, gotta take whoever wants to come at this point.

Three good players. Thorpe would have the biggest impact next year, IMO. Which is probably obvious, but we are building for the next few years so Ayala may be the way to go. If he's planning on coming. Getting ahead of myself with the little bit of information we have.

I could see Marek bringing a bit of that kOng spark of energy. They seem like completely different players offensively but I get what you are saying.

As far as Ayala remember he was option #1 once Green chose UK. I would think the reason we haven't heard anything about Thorpe other than there is interest and contact is because the staff has been hoping to get Ayala for 2017. It seems that may wind up happening. Personally I'd be thrilled with either guard at this point but long term getting Ayala likely means no scrambling for a must have guard late next year which has been getting old.

I could see Marek bringing a bit of that kOng spark of energy. They seem like completely different players offensively but I get what you are saying.

As far as Ayala remember he was option #1 once Green chose UK. I would think the reason we haven't heard anything about Thorpe other than there is interest and contact is because the staff has been hoping to get Ayala for 2017. It seems that may wind up happening. Personally I'd be thrilled with either guard at this point but long term getting Ayala likely means no scrambling for a must have guard late next year which has been getting old.

Good point. Just so many out there in 2018, but I'm all for Ayala. We will have Hughes, and hopefully Ayala. Huge fan of Carey though. It probably won't matter regarding his recruitment. Frank may be gone. Love HW. I think our guard issues may be gone soon. Hughes could possibly play the 3. Anyway, I'll take the first to sign up. Ayala is a great player obviously, so having him here is just fine with me. Seems like the tides are turning.

Good point. Just so many out there in 2018, but I'm all for Ayala. We will have Hughes, and hopefully Ayala. Huge fan of Carey though. It probably won't matter regarding his recruitment. Frank may be gone. Love HW. I think our guard issues may be gone soon. Hughes could possibly play the 3. Anyway, I'll take the first to sign up. Ayala is a great player obviously, so having him here is just fine with me. Seems like the tides are turning.
Just out of curiosity, what do you love about HW?

A 2018-2019 backcourt of Carey, Washington, Hughes and Ayala would be very good, but probably unlikely.

If Dolezaj decides to play pro ball instead of college, where do we turn for a small forward? Sid isn't a shooter. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Not adding another shooter at SF would be a problem.

If Dolezaj decides to play pro ball instead of college, where do we turn for a small forward? Sid isn't a shooter. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Not adding another shooter at SF would be a problem.
Haven't heard Carter mentioned in a while. I know he's not a great shooter also , but could have connection with Griffin. I know he plays with energy.

That would be interesting. I think we likely dig up a grad transfer for that. I think we need another forward some way some how. If for instance Thompson plays center all season you are basically relying on Moyer and Brissett for huge minutes at the forward with only Sidibe to maybe log some minutes at the 4. Need a 3rd forward in the mix from that perspective IMO. I think it will be Solezaj. I would think he'd need to get his affairs in order before heading to the states for bball which is what he may be doing now.

Haven't heard Carter mentioned in a while. I know he's not a great shooter also , but could have connection with Griffin. I know he plays with energy.

I like Carter but there have been no signs of SU interest. Maybe he becomes an option if Dolezaj falls by the wayside.

I like Carter but there have been no signs of SU interest. Maybe he becomes an option if Dolezaj falls by the wayside.
Yeah, curious as to why we haven't been in contact to say the least. I have said this before and I don't want to get off topic , but I just have a strong positive gut feeling about Carter. I don't know why and can't say it any other way. That being said , would prefer Dolezaj.

Yeah, curious as to why we haven't been in contact to say the least. I have said this before and I don't want to get off topic , but I just have a strong positive gut feeling about Carter. I don't know why and can't say it any other way. That being said , would prefer Dolezaj.

I hear you but sometimes its hard to spend a lot of time contacting a kid when they are backup plan to a backup plan and the kid would want to commit to us ASAP. Like Jones doesn't have an offer yet because he'd likely schedule a visit and commit. SU has been constructing the 2017 roster on the fly and its composition will effect the 2018 class.

I hear you but sometimes its hard to spend a lot of time contacting a kid when they are backup plan to a backup plan and the kid would want to commit to us ASAP. Like Jones doesn't have an offer yet because he'd likely schedule a visit and commit. SU has been constructing the 2017 roster on the fly and its composition will effect the 2018 class.
I know. Just getting anxious about the roster this year.

Yes. Any mention of SU on Twitter and Naz and his mom show a lot of interest.

This is absolutely true. Bringing in someone for 2017, means giving up space in 2018. Seems like in 2018 we are amending our recruiting philosophy a bit as well. Hopefully by choice, but not being in the top 8 for Reid, Quinerly, Reddish, etc., might mean we are pulling away from the top 20's again and focusing on building a roster of top 75 players, who stay for 2-3 years. Thats my glass half full mentality.

That would be interesting. I think we likely dig up a grad transfer for that. I think we need another forward some way some how. If for instance Thompson plays center all season you are basically relying on Moyer and Brissett for huge minutes at the forward with only Sidibe to maybe log some minutes at the 4. Need a 3rd forward in the mix from that perspective IMO. I think it will be Solezaj. I would think he'd need to get his affairs in order before heading to the states for bball which is what he may be doing now.

That would have to be the strategy at that point -- not sure what other viable option there would be.

The grad market has really thinned. Cameron Reynolds maybe? MiKyle McIntosh? There isn't much left, so maybe a guy will become available a la AW3 last year.

Maybe the plan will be to play Tyus at SF for some extended periods? If that's the case, well, we will need a scoring guard like Thorpe or Matt Mobley if he leaves SBU.

Zags is right on top of things... :noidea:

1-01Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

It will be Dolezaj first, then we will figure out the guard. With Thorpe not graduating for a few weeks, I expect that to take a while (unless Ayala decides to go '17 out of the blue).

MD could be at any day now, unless something unforeseen happens. And we should know to expect the unexpected.