Marek Dolezaj | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

Moqui has some good points but as others have mentioned earlier in the thread is that the college 3 pt line is closer. That, plus additional strength, should have an impact on his shooting. Another thing that I don't think was mentioned, looking at those stats, is that he gets to the line a decent amount, which means he also drives to the hoop and not just a spot up shooter. Only 67.7% from the line, but hopefully that will improve. Yes, he was compared to some great foreign players, but part of that is due to his perceived upside. Put 20 or 30 lbs on this kid and I'll be real happy if he is Leo Rautins.

Moqui has some good points but as others have mentioned earlier in the thread is that the college 3 pt line is closer. That, plus additional strength, should have an impact on his shooting. Another thing that I don't think was mentioned, looking at those stats, is that he gets to the line a decent amount, which means he also drives to the hoop and not just a spot up shooter. Only 67.7% from the line, but hopefully that will improve. Yes, he was compared to some great foreign players, but part of that is due to his perceived upside. Put 20 or 30 lbs on this kid and I'll be real happy if he is Leo Rautins.
Funny. That is who I was thinking of watching him.

While the skills may translate I'm not sure if the execution does. No way this kid will be able to handle the ball the way he does in the videos and drive with the ease he does against ACC competition. He also won't be as solid inside.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he's not able to do it but I just can't predict he'll be able to.

We've seen it 100 times throughout the years on guys "losing" skills when they get here, not because they regressed but the level of competition.
A lot of certainties in your post. He cant, he won't, he isn't able to. Maybe we should wait until he tries.

You mean you don't think he will be able to drive in the ACC like he did over there. Of course not. But he will be able to handle the ball. And as far as being solid inside, he will be playing the 3. He won't be inside. He will be on the wing. At long at 6'9 translates well. I hate to be optimistic about the kid. I know that is not well taken in some circles here. I like the kid a lot and think we got a steal late. Sadly, I like Brissett a lot too. We are in tough league. But I think this group, if they can land Thorpe, will be fun. And they will also lose enough games to keep some happy too.

I really like Brissett, I just personally think he's going to take some of this kids minutes.

There is one thing that we have and that's a lot of depth in the front court. We have two guys capable of playing the 3 and 4 that are capable of playing the 4. If 72 or Sidibe prove to be capable starters then TT moves to the 4 and will get the lions share minutes there leaving Moyer, Brissett and Marek at the three and scratch Moyer from the three as he'll spell TT and that's about it and then the rest of the minutes are between Brissett and Marek which I just think Brissett is ahead of him.

Even if the centers don't work out you're looking at Moyer getting the minutes at the 4.

I'm not knocking the kid, I'm just predicting that Brissett is the breakout guy in the group and the 3 is the obvious place where he's going to get the most minutes.

I really like Brissett, I just personally think he's going to take some of this kids minutes.

There is one thing that we have and that's a lot of depth in the front court. We have two guys capable of playing the 3 and 4 that are capable of playing the 4. If 72 or Sidibe prove to be capable starters then TT moves to the 4 and will get the lions share minutes there leaving Moyer, Brissett and Marek at the three and scratch Moyer from the three as he'll spell TT and that's about it and then the rest of the minutes are between Brissett and Marek which I just think Brissett is ahead of him.

Even if the centers don't work out you're looking at Moyer getting the minutes at the 4.

I'm not knocking the kid, I'm just predicting that Brissett is the breakout guy in the group and the 3 is the obvious place where he's going to get the most minutes.

Yeah Brissett and Moyer are both I would think IMO.

I mean this has been repeated like 6 times. I swear people don't read.
I agree. It is like people want to tear into him and highlight his faults. Do we agree that the Syracuse Coaching Staff is happy with the commitment? Does that mean anything to people who have not seen him play in person? I am glad that we got him over taking Tucker. He may take a year or two to get acclimate but in the long run, I hope that we will be happy with the results.

A lot of certainties in your post. He cant, he won't, he isn't able to. Maybe we should wait until he tries.

Roberson can hit the occasional 3. Joseph will push the ball and run a faster offense than Ennis. Patterson with his wingspan will be one of the best defenders in the zone ever. Howard has the best vision of any guard we've had.

Those are just some certainties I've heard over the course of the past few years that didn't get much push back but I post my opinion and give detailed reasons on why I dont believe his game translates well to this level and you're telling me to wait? Of course we'll see but add something to the conversation outside of "we'll see". Tell me why his game translates and we can start to have a conversation.

Every now and again, this thread loses sight that the kid offers us just a little bit more opportunity to be good again. That's what I'm banking on. Him contributing to our success. I believe he will. He's been successful enough to bang with professionals and play 22+ mins.

Speaking of professionals.

Let me throw out a name from one of iommi' posts that showed players in MD's league: Boris Bojanovsky. Just think what he would do now to a high school senior. Or a bunch of college centers.

Cheer up. He helps.

Roberson can hit the occasional 3. Joseph will push the ball and run a faster offense than Ennis. Patterson with his wingspan will be one of the best defenders in the zone ever. Howard has the best vision of any guard we've had.

Those are just some certainties I've heard over the course of the past few years that didn't get much push back but I post my opinion and give detailed reasons on why I dont believe his game translates well to this level and you're telling me to wait? Of course we'll see but add something to the conversation outside of "we'll see". Tell me why his game translates and we can start to have a conversation.
Okay so why can't it translate?

Okay so why can't it translate?

I'll say it again. He doesn't have the speed nor a high enough skilled handles for the defense of the ACC. His height for his skill set may hurt him as his defenders will be smaller and faster leading to him being stripped quite often if he does try.

If he does venture inside his lack of strength and size will not match up well against the bigger guys underneath the basket.

Your turn, why does it translate? Have you played basketball? If you have, does the level of competition you play against alter your game or change your style of play because things you could get away with against one opponent may not work against another because they're more skilled?

I'll say it again. He doesn't have the speed nor a high enough skilled handles for the defense of the ACC. His height for his skill set may hurt him as his defenders will be smaller and faster leading to him being stripped quite often if he does try.

If he does venture inside his lack of strength and size will not match up well against the bigger guys underneath the basket.

Your turn, why does it translate? Have you played basketball? If you have, does the level of competition you play against alter your game or change your style of play because things you could get away with against one opponent may not work against another because they're more skilled?
But what makes yo I think he's too slow and doesn't have the handle?

I'll say it again. He doesn't have the speed nor a high enough skilled handles for the defense of the ACC.

Again u may be one of the few people on here that thinks this. (Which is fine) Just not sure how u came away from watching him and thinking anything about his speed not being up to snuff. Kid has some serious wheels (in my opinion) And has plentyyyy of speed. And not skilled enough handles?? You keep mentioning his handling skills and I came away thinking he has a pretty good handle and even plays the 2 for the team he was on some and he has no problem driving to the hoop and taking his man one on one with his handling. Yet guys like Kris Joseph, James Sutherland, Roberson, cj fair, etc etc and so many others not even on our team but in the acc or any other power 5 conference that have crap handling skills seem to have contributed for their team just fine against the big dogs if the acc. I really don't get that you come away thinking this of MD. Now I'm not making any crazy predictions or have crazy expectations of him but I think it is crazy not to think this kid won't be a contributor and isn't skilled enough to compete in the acc. That I think is crazy.

I nickname him "The Disease" . His game will have you looking like you're playing blind!

Look up Mareks disease folks. :cool::)

Again u may be one of the few people on here that thinks this. (Which is fine) Just not sure how u came away from watching him and thinking anything about his speed not being up to snuff. Kid has some serious wheels (in my opinion) And has plentyyyy of speed. And not skilled enough handles?? You keep mentioning his handling skills and I came away thinking he has a pretty good handle and even plays the 2 for the team he was on some and he has no problem driving to the hoop and taking his man one on one with his handling. Yet guys like Kris Joseph, James Sutherland, Roberson, cj fair, etc etc and so many others not even on our team but in the acc or any other power 5 conference that have crap handling skills seem to have contributed for their team just fine against the big dogs if the acc. I really don't get that you come away thinking this of MD. Now I'm not making any crazy predictions or have crazy expectations of him but I think it is crazy not to think this kid won't be a contributor and isn't skilled enough to compete in the acc. That I think is crazy.

Southerland* was one of the best pure shooters to ever wear orange. Roberson one of the best rebounders ever that worse Orange. Kris Joseph and CJ Fair were above average at almost every aspect of the game outside their handle.

I'm not saying the kid is useless nor will not contribute, if you've read my posts you'll see that I believe that Brissett is more advanced and I don't think he'll play a lot of minutes because of the depth we have in the front court.

I just believe that what's being touted as the kids best assets are skills that just don't translate well, especially for a kid his height and his shooting numbers leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not bashing the kid for no reason, he shoots 40% from two and under 30% from 3 and he's being touted here as an excellent shooter while Battle who shot better than that in HS was announced as a poor shooter.

If you took the expectations of this kid along with every other kid we've signed his recruiting class by the talk around this forum and put it all together you'd think we were a lock for the final four. Every guy that comes in isn't going to be excellent, I see what I see and you can say whatever you want about it and I actually give you a TON of credit for being the only person to reply with substance. But I think the jury is out on half of what's being proclaimed about this kid.

I see it year after year here about every kid we sign. I have a solid grasp on the kids we bring in and am not an awful evaluator, I am wrong at times but I'm right quite a bit as well. I hope for the best and want him to be the best we've ever had coming in. I just don't see it, at least not this coming season.

But what makes yo I think he's too slow and doesn't have the handle?

Watch his film and games, then watch an ACC game right after. Tell me you can't see the difference in the atheletes and speed of the players.

I agree regarding Brissett. I think he will be really good right away

Have you watched him play? The kid has skills. Skills that translate anywhere. I like his game. the coaches like his game. I guess you don't. How much have you watched him play?
again, I didn't said he was bad.

overhyped. not the same thing.

expectations are running wild with this kid

somewhat like Paul Harris, who had a very productive career, yet he is considered a disappointment by many.

Southerland* was one of the best pure shooters to ever wear orange. Roberson one of the best rebounders ever that worse Orange. Kris Joseph and CJ Fair were above average at almost every aspect of the game outside their handle.

I'm not saying the kid is useless nor will not contribute, if you've read my posts you'll see that I believe that Brissett is more advanced and I don't think he'll play a lot of minutes because of the depth we have in the front court.

I just believe that what's being touted as the kids best assets are skills that just don't translate well, especially for a kid his height and his shooting numbers leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not bashing the kid for no reason, he shoots 40% from two and under 30% from 3 and he's being touted here as an excellent shooter while Battle who shot better than that in HS was announced as a poor shooter.

If you took the expectations of this kid along with every other kid we've signed his recruiting class by the talk around this forum and put it all together you'd think we were a lock for the final four. Every guy that comes in isn't going to be excellent, I see what I see and you can say whatever you want about it and I actually give you a TON of credit for being the only person to reply with substance. But I think the jury is out on half of what's being proclaimed about this kid.

I see it year after year here about every kid we sign. I have a solid grasp on the kids we bring in and am not an awful evaluator, I am wrong at times but I'm right quite a bit as well. I hope for the best and want him to be the best we've ever had coming in. I just don't see it, at least not this coming season.

So is your pick he wont contribute this season or be a significant contributor during his cuse career because what you posted above doesnt say much.

How people are describing Marek is similar to what I see in Brissett.

We don't need either to hand the ball with Battle and FH on the court so I think ball handling and driving is a moot point, especially with how we run our offense.

Outside of that I don't see what Marek does better than Brissett. If Marek is Kukoc, Schrempt, and AK47 then who is Brissett?

Agree 100%. I think marek will be a serviceable bench player. Could play some needed minutes and give what we need for sure. I would not be surprised If he came in a lot better then advertised or not quite good. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom