Marek Dolezaj | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

moqui, you of all people know you can make stats say whatever you want them to say, depending upon what data set you use. Here is another one, using the same game logs...

In games played in 2017, he is 18/55 = 32.7% from 3. Essentially, 33%. You and I can make all sorts of conclusions based upon the data. Using the data I showed, someone might argue that his 3 pt shot is improving. And then used in conjunction with the closer line in the NCAA, say that he could easily be a viable 3rd shooter. The problem is the data set is small, and it can not take into account the closer line, so everything is speculation and conjecture. It ultimately depends upon whether you are a glass half full person, or a glass half empty person. Neither type will ever get the other to see their viewpoint.

IMO, he is a low volume, streaky 3 pt shooter. When he is hot, he can light it up (for example, in a few games, he went 3-6, 5-8 & 4-7),
but there are also a number of game where he went 0-1, 0-3, 1-3. Even an 0-5 game.

He isn't just loading up the points against the weakest teams either, but there will certainly be an adjustment level to the athletic abilities of players in the ACC. However, if he played a pick up game with the guys on the team, the staff certainly would have been able to get some feel for how he was able to deal with the other kids on the team, who are no slouches when it comes to athleticism.

His dribbling is pretty good for a 6-9 player, but he isn't going to be playing the 2. Smaller, quicker guards would eat him alive, though he could easily shoot over top of them. I think he gives solid depth at the two forward spots, and I expect there to be a nice rotation between Brissett, Moyer & Dolezaj, that we will come to enjoy over the next few years. None of them are likely to be 1 & done, which is a nice change of pace.
This is madness, the back and forth. And, nobody knows for sure. We won't know until someone enters all of his measurements and skills into a video game and simulates a season. Who here can do that?

I know from watching the games that he is fast, athletic, can handle and the form on his shot looks good.

I also know from those same games that he is very skinny, got moved around easily by the other players, looked like a streaky shooter from deep and that he played against competition that is sub-ACC level but plus-highschool level.

Some really good points in both directions. We will have to see how he does. I think we wind up seeing our three forwards (MM, OB, MD) play a vast majority of the 80 available minutes. I expect one will separate a bit so 32, 24, 24 or something like that. I expect them all to contribute. I worry about their combined 3pt % but I think we can get points, rebounds and blocks from all three guys.

Last edited:
IMO this kid is more likely to be 1 and done than he is a 4 year guy. Stunned people don't see that he would have dominated HS gyms if he was American. Kid would be 5 star

He will probably be our 3rd best player this year... and quite possibly our best next year. Keith Van horn w more athleticism.

IMO this kid is more likely to be 1 and done than he is a 4 year guy. Stunned people don't see that he would have dominated HS gyms if he was American. Kid would be 5 star

He will probably be our 3rd best player this year... and quite possibly our best next year. Keith Van horn w more athleticism.
you are high on him, and I like it. does he start at cuse in 2017-18??????????????????????????

At 6'9 with a good handle he is going to be tough to guard for opposing 3 or 4s. He is going to end up being one heck of a player for us.

And we've basically got 3 of those guys now.
(ok, MM & OSB are 6'8", but you get my drift).

All 3 of those guys are rangy, high-energy, and can take it strong to the hoop.
I think we'll get just enough outside shooting from them, to make teams defend them at the 3pt line, which opens up their driving lanes.
As long as their 3pt % starts with a 3, that's adequate. Mid-higher 30's would be ideal, of course.
We want them shooting 3's like CJ did, prior to his Sr year - only when WIIIIIIIDE open.

I say yes. I actually think Moyer starts on the bench.

I think people forget that Moyer was actually rated higher than Thompson. Surprised so many people are down on him. I actually think Marek is the least ready to produce, but that's just me. Oshae is too good and Moyer was a top 70 kid that has spent a year in the program.

I think people forget that Moyer was actually rated higher than Thompson. Surprised so many people are down on him. I actually think Marek is the least ready to produce, but that's just me. Oshae is too good and Moyer was a top 70 kid that has spent a year in the program.
I love Moyer. Love him.
People just don't get how good this Euro is. The teams he played on and against would go undefeated in any HS league. He's way more ready than people think. This is all just my opinion of course.

Good post.

Speaking with 95% certainty with 5% knowledge is hardly ever a good bet. Obviously, no one has seen these recruits on college courts playing ACC level talent. But Moyer has in practice and JB knows what he has. Seems reasonable to assume Moyer will get first shot at one of the wings. I've been high on Brissett since February after reading what the Canadian scouts and Rautins were saying about his game. His skills have continued to ascend since that time and he was playing against high level talent in Canada. He is strong and long and fluid and athletic and skilled - bet on those traits translating.

Merek...similar physical traits (minus the weight), much bigger unknown. Potentially very high ceiling, unknown floor.

moqui, you of all people know you can make stats say whatever you want them to say, depending upon what data set you use. Here is another one, using the same game logs...

In games played in 2017, he is 18/55 = 32.7% from 3. Essentially, 33%. You and I can make all sorts of conclusions based upon the data. Using the data I showed, someone might argue that his 3 pt shot is improving. And then used in conjunction with the closer line in the NCAA, say that he could easily be a viable 3rd shooter. The problem is the data set is small, and it can not take into account the closer line, so everything is speculation and conjecture. It ultimately depends upon whether you are a glass half full person, or a glass half empty person. Neither type will ever get the other to see their viewpoint.

IMO, he is a low volume, streaky 3 pt shooter. When he is hot, he can light it up (for example, in a few games, he went 3-6, 5-8 & 4-7),
but there are also a number of game where he went 0-1, 0-3, 1-3. Even an 0-5 game.

He isn't just loading up the points against the weakest teams either, but there will certainly be an adjustment level to the athletic abilities of players in the ACC. However, if he played a pick up game with the guys on the team, the staff certainly would have been able to get some feel for how he was able to deal with the other kids on the team, who are no slouches when it comes to athleticism.

His dribbling is pretty good for a 6-9 player, but he isn't going to be playing the 2. Smaller, quicker guards would eat him alive, though he could easily shoot over top of them. I think he gives solid depth at the two forward spots, and I expect there to be a nice rotation between Brissett, Moyer & Dolezaj, that we will come to enjoy over the next few years. None of them are likely to be 1 & done, which is a nice change of pace.

RealGM has an excellent breakdown of his stats . . . against poor teams (below .500), he shot 39% from three; against good teams, that fell to 22%. that being said, I do expect him to be better than that . . . eventually. And I do like his skills; it's possible that he can be an occasional guard in certain situations.

Finally, I'm not convinced of his true height. Eurobasket lists him at 6-5; RealGM at 6-8; his FIBA profile lists him at both 6-8 and 6-9 on the very same page!

not getting too excited yet. You know the NCAA will screw SU over on the kids eligibility.

RealGM has an excellent breakdown of his stats . . . against poor teams (below .500), he shot 39% from three; against good teams, that fell to 22%. that being said, I do expect him to be better than that . . . eventually. And I do like his skills; it's possible that he can be an occasional guard in certain situations.

Finally, I'm not convinced of his true height. Eurobasket lists him at 6-5; RealGM at 6-8; his FIBA profile lists him at both 6-8 and 6-9 on the very same page!

If he is 6'9" then all of those numbers were true at some point.

I will be neither surprised nor disappointed if he shows up and is 6-7 rather than the expected 6-9. as long as he can play.

Good post.

Speaking with 95% certainty with 5% knowledge is hardly ever a good bet. Obviously, no one has seen these recruits on college courts playing ACC level talent. But Moyer has in practice and JB knows what he has. Seems reasonable to assume Moyer will get first shot at one of the wings.

That assumes that he proved capable in practice. Maybe he didn't and that's why we recruited JT and MD.
Remains to be seen how ready he is.

What?!?!?! Come on.... This is almost as bad as the 72 = Gobert.

Drazen Petrovich good.
he's Drazen Pretrovich good. Don't you get my hopes up like that. I've seen that 30 for 30 on him. Tragic to lose a star like that to a car accident. Don't know which was worse, Drazen or Len Bias.

Re visit this in a year. U must be a young kid because u still naively confuse negativity for reality. It's ok. We are all cuse fans. Staff loves him though. As much as Tucker.

Do you know when Keith Van Horn is? Just curious.

In looking at him in the clips he seems all of 6'9. Color me orange but i think he ends up being our second leading scorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom