Marek Dolezaj | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

So is your pick he wont contribute this season or be a significant contributor during his cuse career because what you posted above doesnt say much.

I don't think he does much this season. After this season I really see him transforming his game and will probably end up as a 4. He needs to gain weight and a lot of it, how much speed will he lose? Who knows, he could end up like a Lydon year two or three which would be awesome. Lydon was excellent from 3, Marek can't shoot better than 30% from outside he won't have an option to play anything but the 4 or 5 if he gains weight and looses the advantages he does have.

again, I didn't said he was bad.

overhyped. not the same thing.

expectations are running wild with this kid

somewhat like Paul Harris, who had a very productive career, yet he is considered a disappointment by many.
Where do you really see expectations running wild? The kid has talent and the fans are happy we got him. A break late in the recruiting game. truth is, you and I have no idea how good this kid is or is going to be. He might be under hyped. i think he will be a good enough player for us. I don't get the instant need for some to come on the board and be negative about the first good thing to happen in recruiting in over a year. But to each their own.

Watch his film and games, then watch an ACC game right after. Tell me you can't see the difference in the atheletes and speed of the players.
It's hard to tell in the limited film we got. I think he can denftely keep up speed wise. Athleticically I think he'll have to adapt to everyone else being athletic but he will still be more athletic the a lot of players on the court.

I don't think he does much this season. After this season I really see him transforming his game and will probably end up as a 4. He needs to gain weight and a lot of it, how much speed will he lose? Who knows, he could end up like a Lydon year two or three which would be awesome. Lydon was excellent from 3, Marek can't shoot better than 30% from outside he won't have an option to play anything but the 4 or 5 if he gains weight and looses the advantages he does have.
The 30% was from the international line. He also got better % wise as his season went on. Or so I have been told. I think he will be a 3.

again, I didn't said he was bad.

overhyped. not the same thing.

expectations are running wild with this kid

somewhat like Paul Harris, who had a very productive career, yet he is considered a disappointment by many.

Paul Harris wasn't a bad player at all. His ranking is what made expectations high. If he was on the team this year he'd be the second best player we have by a large margin.

Every year it's the same thing, expectations that are unrealistic are thrown out there for these kids and they can't live up to it.

There are people who think Lydon was awful this year, some of those same people think this kid is going to wow. If Marek is going to wow, what does he have to do if Lydon was bad? It's crazy to me.

The 30% was from the international line. He also got better % wise as his season went on. Or so I have been told. I think he will be a 3.

I think he'll be a three as well. Adding weight, and proving he can shoot at this level will end up being the deciding factor on his position his next three years. I just don't see him sticking at the 3 as his body progresses.

Paul Harris wasn't a bad player at all. His ranking is what made expectations high. If he was on the team this year he'd be the second best player we have by a large margin.

Every year it's the same thing, expectations that are unrealistic are thrown out there for these kids and they can't live up to it.

There are people who think Lydon was awful this year, some of those same people think this kid is going to wow. If Marek is going to wow, what does he have to do if Lydon was bad? It's crazy to me.
Which player on this years team would Harris have been better than by a large margin? Lydon or White? Because I would take both over Paul Harris.

Which player on this years team would Harris have been better than by a large margin? Lydon or White? Because I would take both over Paul Harris.

I'm talking about this coming year. I'd take Lydon, White and Battle over Harris last year.

This season I think Battle is better than Harris and that's about it.

I think he'll be a three as well. Adding weight, and proving he can shoot at this level will end up being the deciding factor on his position his next three years. I just don't see him sticking at the 3 as his body progresses.
I agree with this except I think he'll be able to adapt to our 3. I think it'll take at a year though.

Southerland* was one of the best pure shooters to ever wear orange. Roberson one of the best rebounders ever that worse Orange. Kris Joseph and CJ Fair were above average at almost every aspect of the game outside their handle.

I'm not saying the kid is useless nor will not contribute, if you've read my posts you'll see that I believe that Brissett is more advanced and I don't think he'll play a lot of minutes because of the depth we have in the front court.

I just believe that what's being touted as the kids best assets are skills that just don't translate well, especially for a kid his height and his shooting numbers leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not bashing the kid for no reason, he shoots 40% from two and under 30% from 3 and he's being touted here as an excellent shooter while Battle who shot better than that in HS was announced as a poor shooter.

If you took the expectations of this kid along with every other kid we've signed his recruiting class by the talk around this forum and put it all together you'd think we were a lock for the final four. Every guy that comes in isn't going to be excellent, I see what I see and you can say whatever you want about it and I actually give you a TON of credit for being the only person to reply with substance. But I think the jury is out on half of what's being proclaimed about this kid.

I see it year after year here about every kid we sign. I have a solid grasp on the kids we bring in and am not an awful evaluator, I am wrong at times but I'm right quite a bit as well. I hope for the best and want him to be the best we've ever had coming in. I just don't see it, at least not this coming season.

Fair enough. I'll say Roberson **at times** was a fantastic rebounder but absolutely disappeared in many games so idk if I'd go as far as what u said. Southerland you are right about, he was one of the best "pure" shooters around yet still managed to have tons of games where he wouldnt hit the broad side of the barn. Cj besides his handle I will agree with you 100% that he was above average everywhere else. Kris joseph I'm sorry but I don't think he was above average at everything else. He was a very good player for us and did many things well enough but not anything great. He was just a solid all around player with a good game. The common factor with all of them is that they all had enough talent and skills to be contributors in a power 5 conference and if all of them could do that I don't see ANY reason not to think Marek won't be able to contribute or have careers like any of them. As far as expectations for this class goes I don't even know if I have any...its too early to tell and there are many unknowns that's for sure but I do think we have some guys that may be getting sold a little short because of their ratings and stars etc. Like u said I hope the best for all of these kids and our program just like you do. Would like to make the tourney this year without being on the bubble and win some acc tourney games as well.. I think that would be a decent year considering and hopefully we get some top talent for 18 coming in. I'll also say that I'm not sure if I would consider myself good at evaluating players but I think I get some stuff right at times just the same as most of us on here do I'm sure. But with that said I could be totally wrong and marek could be a bust. Who knows? I don't know anything for certain but I do believe this kid is as skilled and talented as all of the names we listed on here when they came in as freshman. Hopefully he tears it up and we will all be happy then. I respect your views though and with that in going to leave you with my prediction. We will make the final 4 this year and frank Howard will be acc player of the year and in the running for the naismith trophy! :rolling:

Justtt kidding! :)

I think that battle and Tt will be the stars on this team. Brissett and Marek will just have to be decent players. I think they will be. that is why I want Thorpe so much. He gives us another good guy. Plus, a guy that can make a free throw when it counts at the end of games. I guess it depends on what you think we are. i think an exciting team that wins more ACC games than they lose, is a pretty good place for this team. Plus, a team that looks like it is back going in to next year. I feel a lot better about that after getting Marek. But that's just me.

I also noticed watching a bunch of his teams games that there were some I think he didn't play in.

Southerland* was one of the best pure shooters to ever wear orange. Roberson one of the best rebounders ever that worse Orange. Kris Joseph and CJ Fair were above average at almost every aspect of the game outside their handle.

I'm not saying the kid is useless nor will not contribute, if you've read my posts you'll see that I believe that Brissett is more advanced and I don't think he'll play a lot of minutes because of the depth we have in the front court.

I just believe that what's being touted as the kids best assets are skills that just don't translate well, especially for a kid his height and his shooting numbers leave a lot to be desired.

I'm not bashing the kid for no reason, he shoots 40% from two and under 30% from 3 and he's being touted here as an excellent shooter while Battle who shot better than that in HS was announced as a poor shooter.

If you took the expectations of this kid along with every other kid we've signed his recruiting class by the talk around this forum and put it all together you'd think we were a lock for the final four. Every guy that comes in isn't going to be excellent, I see what I see and you can say whatever you want about it and I actually give you a TON of credit for being the only person to reply with substance. But I think the jury is out on half of what's being proclaimed about this kid.

I see it year after year here about every kid we sign. I have a solid grasp on the kids we bring in and am not an awful evaluator, I am wrong at times but I'm right quite a bit as well. I hope for the best and want him to be the best we've ever had coming in. I just don't see it, at least not this coming season.
Since we are giving opinions, Southerland was a one-dimensional player that was only good for certain situations. He was a streaky shooter. When he was on, he was really good but when he was off (cold streaks), he was a determinent to the team. If he got the ball, it was a shot, never a pass to a player with better position. Understood his mentality but Believe that Andy Rautins was a better shooter than him. I know that Greg "the Kid" Kohls was a better shooter/scorer than Southerland was.

Fair enough. I'll say Roberson **at times** was a fantastic rebounder but absolutely disappeared in many games so idk if I'd go as far as what u said. Southerland you are right about, he was one of the best "pure" shooters around yet still managed to have tons of games where he wouldnt hit the broad side of the barn. Cj besides his handle I will agree with you 100% that he was above average everywhere else. Kris joseph I'm sorry but I don't think he was above average at everything else. He was a very good player for us and did many things well enough but not anything great. He was just a solid all around player with a good game. The common factor with all of them is that they all had enough talent and skills to be contributors in a power 5 conference and if all of them could do that I don't see ANY reason not to think Marek won't be able to contribute or have careers like any of them. As far as expectations for this class goes I don't even know if I have any...its too early to tell and there are many unknowns that's for sure but I do think we have some guys that may be getting sold a little short because of their ratings and stars etc. Like u said I hope the best for all of these kids and our program just like you do. Would like to make the tourney this year without being on the bubble and win some acc tourney games as well.. I think that would be a decent year considering and hopefully we get some top talent for 18 coming in. I'll also say that I'm not sure if I would consider myself good at evaluating players but I think I get some stuff right at times just the same as most of us on here do I'm sure. But with that said I could be totally wrong and marek could be a bust. Who knows? I don't know anything for certain but I do believe this kid is as skilled and talented as all of the names we listed on here when they came in as freshman. Hopefully he tears it up and we will all be happy then. I respect your views though and with that in going to leave you with my prediction. We will make the final 4 this year and frank Howard will be acc player of the year and in the running for the naismith trophy! :rolling:

Justtt kidding! :)

I don't think Marek will be a bust, just seen his body type and skill set too many times for me to believe that's what he is at this level. I think he'll be a great 4 year player for us who comes into his own probably year 3. Not saying he can't be a rotational guy or solid before, but I think his game is going to change quite a bit before we see what he can actually do for us.

he shot 11/36 from three over his last 10 games, .306. Statistically, not significantly different from his season average. Game log here
Where do you really see expectations running wild? The kid has talent and the fans are happy we got him. A break late in the recruiting game. truth is, you and I have no idea how good this kid is or is going to be. He might be under hyped. i think he will be a good enough player for us. I don't get the instant need for some to come on the board and be negative about the first good thing to happen in recruiting in over a year. But to each their own.
I'm not trying to be negative: I'm saying slow down, he's overhyped (in addition to the all-time great European players he's been compared to, he's also been compared to the great do-it-all forwards that traditionally lead JB's best teams). For the 3rd time: overhyped bad

FWIW, in the near term I'll be happy if he can be a Marius Janulis type - giving capable minutes at either wing spot, be a reliable 3 pt shooter.

Since we are giving opinions, Southerland was a one-dimensional player that was only good for certain situations. He was a streaky shooter. When he was on, he was really good but when he was off (cold streaks), he was a determinent to the team. If he got the ball, it was a shot, never a pass to a player with better position. Understood his mentality but Believe that Andy Rautins was a better shooter than him. I know that Greg "the Kid" Kohls was a better shooter/scorer than Southerland was.

I don't debate that, said one of the best to wear orange which I don't think is overstepping.

How people are describing Marek is similar to what I see in Brissett.

We don't need either to hand the ball with Battle and FH on the court so I think ball handling and driving is a moot point, especially with how we run our offense.

Outside of that I don't see what Marek does better than Brissett. If Marek is Kukoc, Schrempt, and AK47 then who is Brissett?
Carmelo Anthony. I'm kidding. I think Brissett is a better shooter than people realize. He is strong, can rebound and takes contact and is aggressive on the drive. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people.

I'm talking about this coming year. I'd take Lydon, White and Battle over Harris last year.

This season I think Battle is better than Harris and that's about it.
I would add TT. I also would take Brissett over Harris. I understand your point though.

This season can't start soon enough. If Marek had a few more fall from deep, then people would be at ease with his percentage.

Huge to get a kid who is older for a freshman, and has played against men. Never underestimate that old man game.

I play in a few leagues, and those old timers are no joke. They pass, and get easy buckets. As we make one or two passes and play iso ball.

Not saying the kid is gonna be Dirk, or insert generic Euro name here, but he has a lot of experience for a freshman.

We fell into a hidden gem, in my opinion. I think his game will translate well. I'd write an essay on why, but we all have our opinion.

Any shot that Marek can play a little at pg ?

I was thinking this or possibly a player-manager type situation. That way Boeheim can retire after this season and starting next year Marek can play 1-5 and coach em up.

Just 3 points about Mareks situation and stats. First, he's shooting 3s from further back. Secondly, he's been playing against older stronger guys and lastly they play more physically than in US and he doesn't get all the foul calls there he would get here. If he's up against a bigger guy he's quick enough to go by him. A smaller guy he can post up and back him in. I m seeing glass half full but of course just my opinion

Reading this debate has led me to one fact. Whether he is better or worse than advertised...we ARE a better team with him than we are without!

Drop the mic!!!!

Orange Nation!
I didn't quite catch that last part.

he shot 11/36 from three over his last 10 games, .306. Statistically, not significantly different from his season average. Game log here

moqui, you of all people know you can make stats say whatever you want them to say, depending upon what data set you use. Here is another one, using the same game logs...

In games played in 2017, he is 18/55 = 32.7% from 3. Essentially, 33%. You and I can make all sorts of conclusions based upon the data. Using the data I showed, someone might argue that his 3 pt shot is improving. And then used in conjunction with the closer line in the NCAA, say that he could easily be a viable 3rd shooter. The problem is the data set is small, and it can not take into account the closer line, so everything is speculation and conjecture. It ultimately depends upon whether you are a glass half full person, or a glass half empty person. Neither type will ever get the other to see their viewpoint.

IMO, he is a low volume, streaky 3 pt shooter. When he is hot, he can light it up (for example, in a few games, he went 3-6, 5-8 & 4-7),
but there are also a number of game where he went 0-1, 0-3, 1-3. Even an 0-5 game.

He isn't just loading up the points against the weakest teams either, but there will certainly be an adjustment level to the athletic abilities of players in the ACC. However, if he played a pick up game with the guys on the team, the staff certainly would have been able to get some feel for how he was able to deal with the other kids on the team, who are no slouches when it comes to athleticism.

His dribbling is pretty good for a 6-9 player, but he isn't going to be playing the 2. Smaller, quicker guards would eat him alive, though he could easily shoot over top of them. I think he gives solid depth at the two forward spots, and I expect there to be a nice rotation between Brissett, Moyer & Dolezaj, that we will come to enjoy over the next few years. None of them are likely to be 1 & done, which is a nice change of pace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom