Marek Dolezaj | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

I don't see anyone predicting great, great things for this team. In this ACC, is there going to be more than one team with a 14-4 record? I think if things break right, we can go 11-7. That would be a good season.

Expecting to make the NCAA tourney is "crazy"?

No, expecting Marek to be a one and done, TT to be leaving based on skill and other player expectations is crazy.

Still would prefer he was here for the summer but hopefully Sept and Oct will give him enough time to get up to speed with our system. Plus at least he is playing decent competition over the summer, so it's not like he's just off messing around.

Still would prefer he was here for the summer but hopefully Sept and Oct will give him enough time to get up to speed with our system. Plus at least he is playing decent competition over the summer, so it's not like he's just off messing around.

Agreed and he will likely be featured on this U20 team unlike he was on the professional squads. Its going to help his game, its just not going to help him adjust any faster to the US and SU's system.

So I watched his first FIBA game. They won but it was a pretty tough watch. Everyone in these things Chuck's threes and looks to score. If you think the NCAA refs are bad these guys were the worst.
Dolezaj is loooong and looks like a legit 6-10 to me. He's agile with good vision and great ball skills for his size. He is at best a streaky shooter right now. His shot is like a fall away jumper stroke without falling away. The ball needs to be higher to start and he needs more loft. At this point he is not just missing long or short he's missing left and right as well. He made his first attempt which looked good but the rest looked a bit rough. Where he really shined was pushing when he got a defensive rebound. He has a great handle and can get by bigs easily in the half court and cross up anyone in the open court. He could have had double digits assists if guys converted. He's good at creating offense off the highball screen and attacking the basket. No one played much of what we would call good defense in this game though so take that into consideration.

I didn't keep track but I'd say he probably had 14p, 6r, 5a, 2b, 3to. He should have shot about 8 more FT's but that could be said for a lot of players.

Interesting story. Watching the game, one player on Azerbaijan's team stood out. He scored almost half their points and just played and looked different than anyone else on the team. I saw in the box score his name was Jordan Davis...which also stood out.

I googled him and it turns out he's a soph at Northern Colorado from Las Vegas. He has zero connection to Azerbaijan. Several months ago an Azerbaijan basketball official just contacted him and asked if he'd be interested in simply gaining citizenship and playing for their under U20 national team and he accepted.

Apparently Steven Enoch from Uconn/Louisville did something similar for Armenia last year.

Pretty crazy

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/07/13/jordan-davis-northern-colorado-azerbaijan-national-team

So I watched his first FIBA game. They won but it was a pretty tough watch. Everyone in these things Chuck's threes and looks to score. If you think the NCAA refs are bad these guys were the worst.
Dolezaj is loooong and looks like a legit 6-10 to me. He's agile with good vision and great ball skills for his size. He is at best a streaky shooter right now. His shot is like a fall away jumper stroke without falling away. The ball needs to be higher to start and he needs more loft. At this point he is not just missing long or short he's missing left and right as well. He made his first attempt which looked good but the rest looked a bit rough. Where he really shined was pushing when he got a defensive rebound. He has a great handle and can get by bigs easily in the half court and cross up anyone in the open court. He could have had double digits assists if guys converted. He's good at creating offense off the highball screen and attacking the basket. No one played much of what we would call good defense in this game though so take that into consideration.

I didn't keep track but I'd say he probably had 14p, 6r, 5a, 2b, 3to. He should have shot about 8 more FT's but that could be said for a lot of players.

Not good to hear re: the shooting. I know that the staff was impressed with how he shot the ball when he was on campus.

Not good to hear re: the shooting. I know that the staff was impressed with how he shot the ball when he was on campus.

They were and the jumpers/ FT's he makes look great but he is inconsistent. The lower arc means he needs to be more precise. Its completely fixable though. I think he's a feel shooter who searches when it's not going. A couple mechanics adjustments and he should be fine.

Maybe it's because I just finished an IPA and didn't quite comprehend the "legit 6-10" part of your post, but there's a distinct 'point forward' undertone there, no? ;)

Game vs Netherlands the other day. He was the games top performer although i think his team is struggling from deep still. Dont think his supporting cast is very good. Mareks stats

Rebounds:3
Assists:3
Steals:3
Blocks:3

He plays again this morning

It's not the IPA. I think he's a guy you can run offense through at the forward spot. BUT he needs to improve the shot.
Staff agrees. He will get a ton of run. Having Marek (or moyer) and Thorpe coming off the bench is a fantastic 1-2 punch

Staff agrees. He will get a ton of run. Having Marek (or moyer) and Thorpe coming off the bench is a fantastic 1-2 punch

You have toned this down a lot from:

No, actually it isn't. Never has there been a recruit more under sold by the SU fans than this kid. 80% chance he is one and done . And I'm low balling it. Kid will play the most minutes at forward for us by a good amount.

Add in the fact TT will probably be in foul trouble alot, and Marek could certainly be our 2nd leading scorer.

Is this because you now realize how good Brissett is? Or is it because Marek still weighs 170?

I still think it's much more likely that Marek will get the least amount of minutes of the 3 forwards, if for no other reason than he is going to get pushed around all over the court. He does have a very high ceiling on offense and it will be fun to watch him develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom