Mario Cristobal to Miami | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mario Cristobal to Miami

Update:

As far as I can tell…

Akron got their guy. Joe Moorhead is their HC. Surprisingly he would take a job at a program like that. He must really want to be a HC again. Really badly.

UM is said to be really close to signing Cristobal to a huge contract (in the $8 million/year range). But they have no AD, boosters are involved and who knows how much authority they have to get a deal done? And Oregon is apparently trying really hard to retain Mario. I think with each hour that passes, UM’s chances to get Cristobal decrease.

Oklahoma is in a similar situation with Venables. He is their clear choice (after swinging and missing at a few others). A deal is said to be imminent. OU officials flew to Clemson to get the deal signed. But still no announcement of a deal. Again, with every hour that passes, I think it is more likely Clemson will retain Brent.

Just like everyone else in the SU OC Rumor thread, I have absolutely nothing on the SU OC job. Agree with others though that it will be interesting to see how long it takes before Dino gets his guy. I would ordinarily expect an announcement after the coaches convention in January but we really need to lock up some portal transfers in the next week or two and that is going to be close to impossible on the offensive side with no OC announced.

Dino has to do something he is uncomfortable doing again. He has to move an important move and he needs to do it fast. IMHO, we have to get a couple of quality WRs in the portal, as well as a TE, a QB, a RB and a couple of OL. Our ability to get immediate contributors at all these positions could well determine if the team goes to a bowl game next season,

Lots of high stakes drama for the SU football program and other programs in the conference. The next week or so should be very interesting.

Last edited:
This whole thing is insane. Cristobal has to decide by tomorrow if he is taking the job even though they have no AD yet and if he doesn’t take it, the guy who has been left dangling will keep his job. For now.

Update:

As far as I can tell…

Akron got their guy. Joe Moorhead is their HC. Surprisingly he would take a job at a program like that. He must really want to be a HC again. Really badly.

UM is said to be really close to signing Cristobal to a huge contract (in the $8 million/year range). But they have no AD, boosters are involved and who knows how much authority they have to get a deal done? And Oregon is apparently trying really hard to retain Mario. I think with each hour that passes, UM’s chances to get Cristobal decrease.

Oklahoma is in a similar situation with Venables. He is their clear choice (after swinging and missing at a few others). A deal is said to be imminent. OU officials flew to Clemson to get the deal signed. But still no announcement of a deal. Again, with every hour that passes, I think it is more likely Clemson will retain Brent.

Just like everyone else in the SU OC Rumor thread, I have absolutely nothing on the SU OC job. Agree with others though that it will be interesting to see how long it takes before Dino gets his guy. I would ordinarily expect an announcement after the coaches convention in January but we really need to lock up some portal transfers in the next week or two and that is going to be close to impossible on the offensive side with no OC announced.

Dino has to do something he is comfortable doing again. He has to move an important move and he needs to do it fast. IMHO, we have to get a couple of quality WRs in the portal, as well as a TE, a QB, a RB and a couple of OL. Our ability to get immediate contributors at all these positions could well determine if the team goes to a bowl game next season,

Lots of high stakes drama for the SU football program and other programs in the conference. The next week or so should be very interesting.
I may be in the minority, but I bet the OC hire is not someone from his coaching tree, the same way Tony White came from outside Babers' coaching familia. It makes me really wonder who a Dino goes to when he needs to canvas the football universe...

I may be in the minority, but I bet the OC hire is not someone from his coaching tree, the same way Tony White came from outside Babers' coaching familia. It makes me really wonder who a Dino goes to when he needs to canvas the football universe...
I would imagine hiring an OC from outside the family would be really hard for Dino.

I have no idea what he is going to do. But whatever it is, I hope he makes his move soon.

We really need an OC soon to help land desperately needed reinforcements on the offensive side of the ball.

I would imagine hiring an OC from outside the family would be really hard for Dino.

I have no idea what he is going to do. But whatever it is, I hope he makes his move soon.

We really need an OC soon to help land desperately needed reinforcements on the offensive side of the ball.
His literal family or his coaching family? Both could be in play.

It is almost impossible for Miami to not be a major power in college football.

Yet the people that run that place seem to find a way to screw things up year after year.

Hope this mess can be salvaged today. Right now, the boosters are trying to hire a HC and line up a stadium deal, all without an AD even in place.

This is a program that was already put on probation once because the boosters were out of control and running things.

Unbelievable.

So I think there is a good chance Dino goes outside his philosophy for the new OC for the very reason why the team had to adjust in season this year. He needs to adjust to team strength and also find a QB coach that can raise the skill level. Raising the skill doesn't mean you can revert the offense philosophy back to what Dino first came in with. That said it doesn't mean our new philosophy can't have attributes of the prior offense. For example we could certainly pick up the pace again within a changed offense. It's going to be interesting to see who he brings in.

just a strange situation. I would have thought UO would have told Moorhead to sit tight but clearly they aren't going to promote from within. I would imagine the first call they would make would be to gauge Chris Petersen's interest but that's probably a pipedream. He seemed burnt out when he left. He is 100% a Eugene guy though

Diaz will probably get a DC job somewhere (LSU?) but if not, hire him for AHC/ST coach and get him back in Florida recruiting.

just a strange situation. I would have thought UO would have told Moorhead to sit tight but clearly they aren't going to promote from within. I would imagine the first call they would make would be to gauge Chris Petersen's interest but that's probably a pipedream. He seemed burnt out when he left. He is 100% a Eugene guy though

Bring back Chip Kelly for another run?

Good for the ACC.

We desperately need someone other than Clemson to become a national power.

Cristobal to Miami is the jolt this conference needs.

Perhaps but I hope its not Miami.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom