Marrone To Be Named HC At JAX | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To Be Named HC At JAX

Schwartz D was good because of the way Doug managed the offense. The D was the way stronger unit, so he let them take the risks. That is what a professional coach does.
This is no voice of reason. This is voice of an agenda.
Your offense was awful. The D won you those games.
I still that game in Oakland Douglas blew with an awful offense.

This is no voice of reason. This is voice of an agenda.
Your offense was awful. The D won you those games.
I still that game in Oakland Douglas blew with an awful offense.
Dareus and Gilmore both got injured during that game. They could not stop the run ( Latavius) and when they tried, coverage broke down without Gilmore.

Schwartz D was good because of the way Doug managed the offense. The D was the way stronger unit, so he let them take the risks. That is what a professional coach does.
You do realize how absurd this reads, right?

So you're saying that Schwartz's D was only good because Marrone intentionally managed the offense to be terrible in order to allow Schwartz to "take risks". Because that is what professional coach like Marrone does: takes risks. Ignoring the fact that Marrone's 4th down conversion attempts as HC are historically low.

Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

Maybe I am just bitter because he was my fantasy qb this year, but ya, I don't think he is a franchise qb.

One year too late on Bortles I'm afraid.

He was my QB in 2015. I will say it was funny how he would be stuck on a point total in the low teens heading into the fourth quarter. I check back after the game ends and he had like 28 fantasy points or something like that.

One set of numbers shows progress, the other shows a failing coach...

Eh. We all know that if the Pats tried in week 17 of Marrone's 2nd year they lose and finish 8-8. Sure that's "progress" statistically speaking but it's not the kind of leap many an NFL franchise has made in year 2 of a great coach's tenure.

For example, Belichick won a SB in year 2 with the Pats (as I know you know) after going 5-11 his first year.

Jim Harbaugh took over a 6-10 49ers and made the SB in year 2.

Mike Tomlin took over an 8-8 team and, you guessed it, won a SB in year 2.

Hell, Mike McCarthy took over a 4-12 team and made the NFC champ game in year 2.

I'm not saying it's fair to hold Marrone to that standard, but his progress was marginal all things considered.

You do realize how absurd this reads, right?

So you're saying that Schwartz's D was only good because Marrone intentionally managed the offense to be terrible in order to allow Schwartz to "take risks". Because that is what professional coach like Marrone does: takes risks. Ignoring the fact that Marrone's 4th down conversion attempts as HC are historically low.

Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif
Shad Kahn, a self made BILLIONAIRE, and Tom Coughlim, a 2 time superbowl winning coach and future HOFer want Doug Marrone to be the head coach of the NFL franchise that run. You think Doug is an idiot who doesn't know how to coach. Do you know how childish and insane that sounds.

Shad Kahn, a self made BILLIONAIRE, and Tom Coughlim, a 2 time superbowl winning coach and future HOFer want Doug Marrone to be the head coach of the NFL franchise that run. You think Doug is an idiot who doesn't know how to coach. Do you know how childish and insane that sounds.
Not sure what being a self made billionaire has to do with winning football games and I don't think TC had a say in the hire, he was announced after Doug and after interviewing for it himself.

Hell, right now we don't even know if his phone will be hooked up and his office view could likely be of the freeway and not the practice field.

Not sure what being a self made billionaire has to do with winning football games and I don't think TC had a say in the hire, he was announced after Doug and after interviewing for it himself.

Hell, right now we don't even know if his phone will be hooked up and his office view could likely be of the freeway and not the practice field.
I can't believe you are insulting TC. Tom went back to Jacksonville to get that superbowl ('s) that eluded him when he coached there.

Eh. We all know that if the Pats tried in week 17 of Marrone's 2nd year they lose and finish 8-8. Sure that's "progress" statistically speaking but it's not the kind of leap many an NFL franchise has made in year 2 of a great coach's tenure.

For example, Belichick won a SB in year 2 with the Pats (as I know you know) after going 5-11 his first year.

Hell, Mike McCarthy took over a 4-12 team and made the NFC champ game in year 2.

I'm not saying it's fair to hold Marrone to that standard, but his progress was marginal all things considered.
With the defense playing so well at the time I just wanted to see progress with the offense. And Marracket's offense actually got worse his second year with Orton replacing Manuel. Progress was made when Marrone left.

I think he knows how to coach. He has a lot of football knowledge. But he's dim witted and has many other flaws that hold him back - including an inflated sense of self.

because theres a lot of stoopid people in the world.

for example, the jags offense sucked and they just hired its OL coach as HC.

its dumbfoundingly comical.
It really is bizarre.

Bradley was there for a while. Lost a lot.

Marrone was with him for two of those losing seasons.

Put Marrone in charge, and the team gets better?

Just hard to envision what Jacksonville's plan is.

It really is bizarre.

Considering thats exactly what happened, yep.

It really is bizarre.

Marrone is a good coach. Sometimes good assistant coaches are on losing teams. Marrone wasn't even the OC or DC. Tom Couglin was at SU from 74-80. Their record was 32-46-3. Does that mean he was a bad coach during that time? If Marrone is a good head coach (which I think he is), yes, their team gets better.

Could be they think with Coughlin in the front it brings some sort of stability/authority to the whole organization. Who the hell knows. JAX is irrelevant but has some decent talent.

no one cares about the difference between 6,7,8, and 9* wins.

what are your thoughts about pegula

The problem with Doug is we don't know how he will do in a job longer term, because at his two HC stops he left pretty quickly each time. He is the kind of coach who wears on his players, so it will be interesting to see how he does the next couple of years, and if those go ok, does he stay and how does his control freak personality/discipline resonate when you get to year 3, 4 in the NFL.

Marrone is a good coach. Sometimes good assistant coaches are on losing teams. Marrone wasn't even the OC or DC. Tom Couglin was at SU from 74-80. Their record was 32-46-3. Does that mean he was a bad coach during that time? If Marrone is a good head coach (which I think he is), yes, their team gets better.
Your starting assumption is that Marrone is a good head coach.

If you're a Jacksonville fan, that's an odd starting assumption. You've had a bad head coach for a while. Wasn't a big secret. Now you tell that fan that all along you had a better head coach, and you gave him the responsibility of coaching the o-line. But really fans, he's better. Let's put aside that as he is better, we maybe could have given him more responsibility. Even though your offense wasn't particularly good, suggesting this better head coach had limited impact in the role you placed him in, fans should expect the team to get better now that he's in charge.

If you believe in Marrone, you'll buy it, not for any logical reason, but because you believe in Marrone.

I think this is a really tough sell to Jacksonville fans. Odd situation. Usually you make a continuity hire when things are going well. Things haven't been going well for Jacksonville.

Your starting assumption is that Marrone is a good head coach.

If you're a Jacksonville fan, that's an odd starting assumption. You've had a bad head coach for a while. Wasn't a big secret. Now you tell that fan that all along you had a better head coach, and you gave him the responsibility of coaching the o-line. But really fans, he's better. Let's put aside that as he is better, we maybe could have given him more responsibility. Even though your offense wasn't particularly good, suggesting this better head coach had limited impact in the role you placed him in, fans should expect the team to get better now that he's in charge.

If you believe in Marrone, you'll buy it, not for any logical reason, but because you believe in Marrone.

I think this is a really tough sell to Jacksonville fans. Odd situation. Usually you make a continuity hire when things are going well. Things haven't been going well for Jacksonville.

Based on what I have seen of him as a head coach...not an assistant. I am not buying it for any other reason than I have seen him as a HC and he has improved the teams he as coached. Even with Buffalo, he had freakin Kyle Orton as his best QB and went 9-7. The point is, you cannot say that his team's record with him as an assistant makes him a bad head coach. People said he would never again be a HC because NFL team management think he is not a good head coach. That has been proven flat out wrong here. Jax hired him because they think he is a good one. The only way he can prove your or my assertions (or Jax mgt) is with Jax now going forward. It will take 2-3 years of history. However, I presume if he goes 9-7 in his second year someone will say "but that team didn't even try!"

Based on what I have seen of him as a head coach...not an assistant. I am not buying it for any other reason than I have seen him as a HC and he has improved the teams he as coached. Even with Buffalo, he had freakin Kyle Orton as his best QB and went 9-7. The point is, you cannot say that his team's record with him as an assistant makes him a bad head coach. People said he would never again be a HC because NFL team management think he is not a good head coach. That has been proven flat out wrong here. Jax hired him because they think he is a good one. The only way he can prove your or my assertions (or Jax mgt) is with Jax now going forward. It will take 2-3 years of history. However, I presume if he goes 9-7 in his second year someone will say "but that team didn't even try!"
He has a sub .500 record as a HC.:noidea:

I mean, if the best evidence for a Jacksonville fan that this is a good move is that Marrone got Buffalo to 9 and 7, how excited about this should they really be? Granted, fan excitement isn't the measure of whether things are the right choices, but that's a flimsy case, considering that fan also has to put aside doubts about ownership and management that supposedly they had a better guy the last two seasons and they didn't turn to him.

the only thing jax should be happy about, is that TC is in building.

and if they actually let him work, and hes not there for PR...then everyone should be put on notice that they will start working or be gone.

including the new/old hire coach.

he inherited 2 teams that were way below .500. He improved them both to above .500. :)
Maybe that's what Jacksonville is hiring Marrone to do - get them to .500, and then you go for the coach that takes you to the next level?

Again, from a Jacksonville fan perspective, this has to be unusual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom