Marrone to Jets | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone to Jets

I'm not so sure.

Like his pal O'Brien, don't you think he realized that he was built for the League? Not to say there weren't issues on the Hill, but show me ANY organization sans issues.

Mike,

this is based on what I was told by people who had some insight.

1. He couldn't believe the crap he was getting from people who should have known better.
2. Between when he had been here as a player and when he was a coach this had become a "basketball school". Direct quote from Dave R.
3. There was no air cover from the school

I'd love to see Marrone succeed, but I pretty much want everyone to prosper. He did some good things for Syracuse & Buffalo and I don't know enough about his options to judge him with any degree of accuracy. Love of a team or program wasn't and isn't his only consideration, whether fans think it should be or not. I hope he succeeds and kicks a good bit back to his Alma Mater. A win-win wouldn't hurt anyone.

Mike,

1. He couldn't believe the crap he was getting from people who should have known better.
2. Between when he had been here as a player and when he was a coach this had become a "basketball school". Direct quote from Dave R.
Yup ... I think the 03 championship turned that leaf for the casual fan

He doesn't have a QB or a first round pick. Of course he's leaving. This will catch up with him at some point.

Well, John Clayton is reporting that Doug wanted extensions for his coaches and wanted greater say over personnel, and I guess an extension for himself.

The owner would not agree.

So, without the support he felt he needed, he left.

Once again I feel ambivalent about a guy I like and respect as a HC.

Last edited:
GoSU96 said:
I think he would have been here through at least this last season if infrastructure commitments had been met. The training, rehab facilities were 4th rate, and that is what the recruiting coordinator, OL coach told me in a Golf Cart. Based on what DR told me he was losing it based on how they weren't able to get recruits based on facilities and the perception of institutional commitment. In particular Rutgers, who he couldn't believe he was losing guys to.

Those things happened. And he knew they were happening.

NC and DG by extenstion failed. It wouldn't have taken anymore than what has been put in place since for him to have stayed.

And the proof of that is what happened.

The decision to build occurred as soon as Doug left.

GoSU96 said:
BS, commitment is a two way street. Those guys can have their careers killed at the drop of a hat.

Both them are high up the food chain than Marrone. He wanted everything his say and yet he knew exactly what he was getting in to. He told me himself. Which is worth more than an asst chatting up the party line in a golf cart. Marrone wanted everything handed to him while he just coached football. Doesn't work that way unless you have a gazillions big donors. Ask JB.

Mike,

Sounds believable. 1 is disappointing, 2 is foolish if he did not see THAT and 3...is the interesting part.

GoSU96 said:
Mike, this is based on what I was told by people who had some insight. 1. He couldn't believe the crap he was getting from people who should have known better. 2. Between when he had been here as a player and when he was a coach this had become a "basketball school". Direct quote from Dave R. 3. There was no air cover from the school

2. So he was jealous of the success and popularity of JB? He should blame his 2 predecessors then, not SU. I remember football being pretty popular when we were winning and playing exciting football when McNabb and others were here. SU didn't just decide to crap on football. Remember, the Dome was built for the football program, not basketball. JB originally hated it.

rrlbees said:
2. So he was jealous of the success and popularity of JB? He should blame his 2 predecessors then, not SU. I remember football being pretty popular when we were winning and playing exciting football when McNabb and others were here. SU didn't just decide to crap on football. Remember, the Dome was built for the football program, not basketball. JB originally hated it.
Scoring some points at home more than once a year would've helped

Both them are high up the food chain than Marrone. He wanted everything his say and yet he knew exactly what he was getting in to. He told me himself. Which is worth more than an asst chatting up the party line in a golf cart. Marrone wanted everything handed to him while he just coached football. Doesn't work that way unless you have a gazillions big donors. Ask JB.

Marrone worked hard to get the IPF.

OrangePA said:
And the proof of that is what happened. The decision to build occurred as soon as Doug left.

If you think real hard, you can imagine why it went down that way.

In my opinion, Marrone caused as many problems as he solved. In addition to being a competent, demanding, and well organized football coach (and certainly not a "great" coach while he was here), he was abrasive, politically and socially simple-minded and vindictive. He created a lot of ill will among people who mattered and who could have mattered.

Sounds believable. 1 is disappointing, 2 is foolish if he did not see THAT and 3...is the interesting part.

OrangePA said:
Sorry. Can you explain? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

The training room stuff.

Mike,

Was 4. The AD was completely full of BS from the start, and the decision to take $ to play at Missouri instead of buying a home win the final straw?

OrangePA said:
Well, John Clayton is reporting that Doug wanted extensions for his coaches and wanted greater say over personnel, and I guess an extension for himself. The owner would not agree. So, without the support he felt he needed, he left. Once again I feel ambivalent about a guy I like and respect as a HC.

There's a pattern here.

Good luck to whoever hires him next. High maintenance.

Marrone wanted everything handed to him while he just coached football.

If this was the case, then he clearly didn't really want to be a college head coach

Mike,

#2 is really odd...didn't he has a TV and internet connection for the last 20 years? The hoops HC is a Hall of Famer, Olympian, won a title, etc.

What gets me is that with all the binders he missed simple things most anyone here could've answered.

In my opinion, Marrone caused as many problems as he solved. In addition to being a competent, demanding, and well organized football coach (and certainly not a "great" coach while he was here), he was abrasive, politically and socially simple-minded and vindictive. He created a lot of ill will among people who mattered and who could have mattered.
exactly, which is why as a Jets fan while I'll be essentially forced to root for his success beyond the mediocrity displayed thus far, at the same time I can never like or respect the guy. He's emblematic of the mercenary hypocritical no loyalty (while of course spouting the opposite), all about me generation of people where enough is never enough as they greedily search for more and more, not having the character to see the job through to meet and overcome the challanges that are inevitably faced in any job or line of work.

Dream job. If and until I hear the guy ponies up big time to his alma mater I'll forever think more negative than positive of him as a person. Respect as a coach sure, zero as a person. People can try and rationalize this and call him a good businessman, a smart tactician, or the lame line about needing to take care of his family (at this level of $), etc., but the reality is he's a quitter.

Last edited:
OrangePA said:
Marrone worked hard to get the IPF.

How? By pissing off certain donors?

RoofBeam said:

Bingo. He found a way to turn off many fans, many donors and many ex players. He was not a fit for the college game and everything that goes with it.

Bingo. He found a way to turn off many fans, many donors and many ex players. He was not a fit for the college game and everything that goes with it.

Pretty amazing that with all that and the lack of support from the administration, he was still able to return our program to respectability. Even more impressive.

I heard Nick Saban and Urban Meyer were too.

You're right on target here. Doug didn't leave many friends behind here in syracuse He basically wasn't liked by anybody He turned off a lot of people and he did the same in Buffalo . Where ever he ends up going he will cause problems there too. It's just who he is He doesn't get along with people

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom