Marrone to Jets | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone to Jets

anglerman said:
You're right on target here. Doug didn't leave many friends behind here in syracuse He basically wasn't liked by anybody He turned off a lot of people and he continues to do so wherever he goes. Where ever he ends up going he will cause problems there too. It's just who he is he doesn't get along with people
https://twitter.com/pham1717/status/550432626050609152

In my opinion, Marrone caused as many problems as he solved. In addition to being a competent, demanding, and well organized football coach (and certainly not a "great" coach while he was here), he was abrasive, politically and socially simple-minded and vindictive. He created a lot of ill will among people who mattered and who could have mattered.

Like who?

There's a pattern here.

Good luck to whoever hires him next. High maintenance.

You mean like Bill Parcells vis a vis Robert Kraft?

There is something to be said for protecting one's flank.

CuseOnly said:
Pretty amazing that with all that and the lack of support from the administration, he was still able to return our program to respectability. Even more impressive. I heard Nick Saban and Urban Meyer were too.

Guys like that are at programs that win so much they never have to leave the field. Funny how JB, who can be a bit grumpy himself, finds a way to reach out to donors, fans, ex players etc. He even went into the dorms and talked to students to get more student support at games.

#2 is really odd...didn't he has a TV and internet connection for the last 20 years? The hoops HC is a Hall of Famer, Olympian, won a title, etc.

What gets me is that with all the binders he missed simple things most anyone here could've answered.
Not to mention SU basketball generated a whole lot more excitement than football for a good 10 years before he showed up here in the 80's. SU went to the final four in 1975 and the program really took off after that imo starting with Louie and Bouie, the formation of the Big East and then the arrival of the Pearl.

Last edited:
Mike,

this is based on what I was told by people who had some insight.

1. He couldn't believe the crap he was getting from people who should have known better.
2. Between when he had been here as a player and when he was a coach this had become a "basketball school". Direct quote from Dave R.
3. There was no air cover from the school

Not to be snarky but was he that out of touch with "His" school, he didn't realize #2? This is the same guy who said he had a binder that he'd been building forever to get the job but it was a revelation to him that SU's basketball program had overshadowed the football program? What was in that binder?Hope Dave R asked him if he was really serious saying that he was that clueless when he decided to come here. Is Marrone really that much of a BS'er?

About#3 - I'll readily admit I am clueless, what is this"air cover" that he wanted from the school even mean?

Some of you sound like the biggest cry babies, holy . Guy changed jobs, who gives a . Some of the whiniest crap on this board is about how Marrone made some of you upset and now he's leaving an NFL team that some of you aren't even fans of. Waaaaaah. Good lord, I thought this was a football board.

DeGrozz said:
There is also a pattern of him turning pathetic teams into winning teams in 2 years. San Francisco aside, there are quite a few owners in the NFL who value that trait.

He made a 6 win Buffalo team into an 8 win team. If people want to have a parade because he won one last week against a Pats team that was mostly trying not to get anyone hurt than get the ticker tape together.

He's a good coach but let's ease up a bit. He also had the unprecedented benefit of playing two FCS teams in his 2nd year at SU. So he took GRob's 3 FBS wins to 6. I mean that's good but, again, I wouldn't put the guy in the HOF for that either.

Guys like that are at programs that win so much they never have to leave the field. Funny how JB, who can be a bit grumpy himself, finds a way to reach out to donors, fans, ex players etc. He even went into the dorms and talked to students to get more student support at games.

Part of Marrone's 1st summer was spent going to Binghamton and Scranton to sell tickets and market the football program. How many years did he have the Dorsey's lunches? Yeah, from the stories told, I think Marrone could have treated the former players better, but let's not act like he didn't try to do a lot of things to push the SU program.

I know the "world" pretty well.

And I think I understand the facts pretty well - the good and the bad.

I'm curious as to who you think matters.

You made the statement. Who do you think matters?

Full_Rebar said:
Part of Marrone's 1st summer was spent going to Binghamton and Scranton to sell tickets and market the football program. How many years did he have the Dorsey's lunches? Yeah, from the stories told, I think Marrone could have treated the former players better, but let's not act like he didn't try to do a lot of things to push the SU program.

Yea, he did that little bus tour. But I think it was as much reaching out to HS coaches as anything. It certainly wasn't private sit downs with donors.

Yea, he did that little bus tour. But I think it was as much reaching out to HS coaches as anything. It certainly wasn't private sit downs with donors.

I didn't think it had anything to do with donors, and my understanding is that the purpose was for selling tickets. The camps they did in LI/NYC and Buffalo was for the HS coaches/recruiting.

My point is that I think it's unfair to say that he didn't do things off the field, it is fair to say that he didn't want to do those things, or be involved to the extent he was at SU. Some of that blame has to be shared by Gross for not having the supports in place for those things, and having to rely on the coaches.

He made a 6 win Buffalo team into an 8 win team. If people want to have a parade because he won one last week against a Pats team that was mostly trying not to get anyone hurt than get the ticker tape together.

He's a good coach but let's ease up a bit. He also had the unprecedented benefit of playing two FCS teams in his 2nd year at SU. So he took GRob's 3 FBS wins to 6. I mean that's good but, again, I wouldn't put the guy in the HOF for that either.

Ease up? All I said was that he had a pattern of taking pathetic teams and turning them into winning teams -- even when you take the 'Scooch record' which excludes those wins that Scooch doesn't deem worthy.

If you want to take a win away from Cuse in 2010, they still had their first winning season and win in a bowl game since 2001.

If you want to say the last game of this season -- where Tom Brady started and was outscored -- doesn't count, he still has one of the best seasons for the Bills since Flutie left (and improved by 3 wins since 2012 because, let's face it, a win in week 17 over the tanking Jets in 2012 doesn't really count). But, if we are making up fake W/L records, you could also say that the Bills received one of the greatest screw-jobs in NFL history this year and should realistically be coming off of a 10-6 season.

He's not perfect, and I never said that he was, but coaches that start putting together winning seasons on shitty teams in the NFL or NCAAF are hard to come by.

Board members, prospective donors, athletic administrators, faculty, former players and high school coaches...oh, yes, and fans.

Operating solely on the basis of your posts, I would respectfully observe that I rarely think you have as encompassing a command on the "world" as you seem to think.

I know the "world" pretty well.

And I think I understand the facts pretty well - the good and the bad.

I'm curious as to who you think matters.

You made the statement. Who do you think matters?

Jets beat reporter contacted someone in their front office/decision maker after the Marrone news broke today and they said something to the effect of...we didn't fire Rex for this. As if Doug wasn't on there radar and currently not on there radar and they are aiming for a bigger fish to land. Could be a bluff or it could just be they have no interest in him at all

DeGrozz said:
Ease up? All I said was that he had a pattern of taking pathetic teams and turning them into winning teams -- even when you take the 'Scooch record' which excludes those wins that Scooch doesn't deem worthy. If you want to take a win away from Cuse in 2010, they still had their first winning season and win in a bowl game since 2001. If you want to say the last game of this season -- where Tom Brady started and was outscored -- doesn't count, he still has one of the best seasons for the Bills since Flutie left (and improved by 3 wins since 2012 because, let's face it, a win in week 17 over the tanking Jets in 2012 doesn't really count). But, if we are making up fake W/L records, you could also say that the Bills received one of the greatest screw-jobs in NFL history this year and should realistically be coming off of a 10-6 season. He's not perfect, and I never said that he was, but coaches that start putting together winning seasons on shitty teams in the NFL or NCAAF are hard to come by.

My point was that, at least in the NFL, finding a coach to take a 6 win team up to 9 in year two is not *that* hard to come by. Sure it is in Buffalo, but most every NFL team has had a coach knock up their win total over a similar stretch in the past decade or so.

The thing that's hard to come by is sustaining it. Marrone has bailed from two head gigs before sustaining much of anything.

Marrone looking for his next gig already? What is he, 25 years old? There is a lot to be said for having a bit of loyalty, even if you fake it. He's a bad faker.

Jets beat reporter contacted someone in their front office/decision maker after the Marrone news broke today and they said something to the effect of...we didn't fire Rex for this. As if Doug wasn't on there radar and currently not on there radar and they are aiming for a bigger fish to land. Could be a bluff or it could just be they have no interest in him at all

Just an FYI - It is now being reported on ESPN that the Jets will have strong interest in Marrone after hearing of his departure.

The "we didn't fire Rex for this" is probably correct but then again most franchises will fire crappy coaches. Things are rarely as they seem, and there will be a lot of misinformation and spin, especially when there will be multiple teams vying for him.

Maybe st Doug can bring the raiders back to 10-6. Looks like his type of project and probably will get most time.

OrangePA said:
Well, John Clayton is reporting that Doug wanted extensions for his coaches and wanted greater say over personnel, and I guess an extension for himself. The owner would not agree. So, without the support he felt he needed, he left. Once again I feel ambivalent about a guy I like and respect as a HC.

I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for crazy demands knowing they'd be refused to give him "cover" to opt out.

Doesn't this also kinda bone his "buddy" from East Syracuse?

I heard Nick Saban and Urban Meyer were too.

When you are the best you can be the biggest a-hole in history and people will put up with you. Doug Marrone is not on their level, he just hasn't proven he can be that kind of winner. Perhaps he could prove it, but he hasn't been anywhere long enough to build something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom