Marrone to Jets | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone to Jets

Jake said:
I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for crazy demands knowing they'd be refused to give him "cover" to opt out. Doesn't this also kinda bone his "buddy" from East Syracuse?
It's amazing that a ticket taker got so much power under Ralph. It's like some con artist who got some rich old person to adopt him on their death bed

I spent my life working in an industry with the same dynamics as today's college/pro football, which is why I don't blame Marrone for doing what he thinks is best for himself and his guys.

Prior to 1975 the NYSE required all of its member firms to be partnerships. In order to accommodate Merrill Lynch, they changed the rule in 1975. Over the next three decades the number of Wall Street broker/dealer firms shrunk from over 100 to just a handful. I personally went through five major mergers, which were not unlike changes in NFL franchise ownership or General Managers. Everyone is at risk. During this period, every firm made promises and lied about their finances and stability in order to attract or maintain revenue producers. They were not necessarily bad people they were just trying to survive. Many believed their own BS. When a merger was announced your boss would tell everyone that he was safe and therefore his people were safe. The truth was they didn't really know and they were simply trying to keep their talent from being poached by other firms until the merger was consummated.

Marrone's agent, Jimmy Sexton, was obviously aware of the risk involved with the Bills job and mitigated it with the opt-out clause. Money might have taken the Cleveland job without that clause.

Marrone did the smart and sensible thing, especially considering the reported tension between himself and the GM Doug Whaley. He asked the new management for an extension for himself and his guys. It seems to me that the failure to get that done was a reasonable reason to take self help.

I don't see the logic in criticizing him in this situation. Granted, at some point he has to produce a certified winner or his star will lose its luster, but he earned his Bills paycheck and he owes them nothing.

I think money is a good coach and time will tell is he is more than that. I wish him well becasue he is an SU guy and his success is good for the Orange. Now, I don't have to root for the Bills anymore.

Pretty amazing that with all that and the lack of support from the administration, he was still able to return our program to respectability. Even more impressive.

I heard Nick Saban and Urban Meyer were too.
Spot on add Parcells, Belecheck, think Bear Bryant was a nice guy!

Billionaire business people who run global corporations are calling Doug and begging him to manage their most prized asset . There is in fact a bidding war going on right now , he is the number 1 candidate for every owner with a vacancy. He is in the proverbial catbird seat.

Last edited:
Marrone looking for his next gig already? What is he, 25 years old? There is a lot to be said for having a bit of loyalty, even if you fake it. He's a bad faker.

Sorry, but if the higher ups didn't have loyalty to him, why should he show loyalty? Loyalty should be a two-way street. Anyone who stays at a job out of "loyalty" is only hurting themselves. I can tell you, as a person intricately involved with right-sizing (ie, downsizing or layoffs) at a Fortune 150 company, loyalty from those in charge only extends to the next earnings report.

NYJs are looking for an offensive minded HC as their next coach. Marrone has ties to the owner and is a NYC homeboy. This change was in the making for quite some time once it was clear that the Bills ownership was changing hands otherwise Marrone wouldn't have opted out of contract.

The NYJs owner will make sure that the GM & Marrone are compatible - I also think Drew Brees (free agent right?) makes it to the NYJs as Marrone and Brees are of like mind and good friends (speculation but just my observations when talking to Marrone in the past).

NYJs was always Marrones ultimate Dream Job :D!

chakka3421 said:
NYJs are looking for an offensive minded HC as their next coach. Marrone has ties to the owner and is a NYC homeboy. This change was in the making for quite some time otherwise Marrone wouldn't have opted out of contract. The NYJs owner will make sure that the GM & Marrone are compatible - I also think Drew Brees (free agent right?) makes it to the NYJs as Marrone and Brees are of like mind and good friends (speculation but just my observations when talking to Marrone in the past). NYJs was always Marrones ultimate Dream Job :D!

Marrone isn't an offensive minded head coach.

Marrone isn't an offensive minded head coach.

You're a nut case...you have no idea if you think this. I've seen and looked through his playbook - and the only thing in that playbook were offensive plays - and how he computerized it using NYJ resources while at SU. The offensive gameplan was always, always done by him and continues to be done that way.

Did you drink too much last night, if not, you have no idea what you are talking about...

chakka3421 said:
You're a nut case...you have no idea if you think this. I've seen and looked through his playbook - and the only thing in that playbook were offensive plays - and how he computerized it using NYJ resources while at SU. The offensive gameplan was always, always done by him and continues to be done that way. Did you drink too much last night, if not, you have no idea what you are talking about...

He gets better results on defense. So I was confused. But I guess if he computerized offensive plays, then that's that.

chakka3421 said:
You're a nut case...you have no idea if you think this. I've seen and looked through his playbook - and the only thing in that playbook were offensive plays - and how he computerized it using NYJ resources while at SU. The offensive gameplan was always, always done by him and continues to be done that way. Did you drink too much last night, if not, you have no idea what you are talking about...
Computerized!

I can take a dump in a notebook then scan it , doesn't mean it's good

The only observations I would make about his tenure at SU is that the defensive plans were better than the offensive ones and that he always seemed slow to change during the games. We always got better in the second half but not until then.

007 said:
You better let the NFL know this Chip. I realize you have been trying hard to make this point, but it's way off the mark.

We do have a 6 year timeframe of evidence. With the exception of the last part of 2012, any success he has had in bringing two teams to average has been because of defense. Both with SU and Buffalo the defense > the offense. I always felt he was more an offensive coach but the 6 years of evidence isn't showing that right now.

His strategy is to get the offense off the field as quickly as possible so that the defense and punter can get him into field goal range.

rrlbees said:
We do have a 6 year timeframe of evidence. With the exception of the last part of 2012, any success he has had in bringing two teams to average has been because of defense. Both with SU and Buffalo the defense > the offense. I always felt he was more an offensive coach but the 6 years of evidence isn't showing that right now.

I'll let you tell the NFL for 007. They'd believe it more from you than me.

The only observations I would make about his tenure at SU is that the defensive plans were better than the offensive ones and that he always seemed slow to change during the games. We always got better in the second half but not until then.

After this season, I'll take this :D

So, if the defense plays better than the offense the correlation is that the HC is defensive minded? It was nothing to do with personnel? A HC who cut his teeth in the NFL as a position coach on O the O coordinator of one of the most prolific NFL teams in recent memory (I know he didn't call the plays) is really a Defensive coach in disguise? I realize you don't care for Marrone, but you are better than this.

You wash away the results of 2012 by referencing the last part of the season as being the "exception."

In 2012, the O averaged an all time school record of 476 yds/game, they gained 500+ yards 7 times that season, which was also an all time record at SU. Nassib set school records for completions and passing yards 2 years in a row. Lemon set the school record receptions 2 years in a row, and there were 2 consecutive 1000 yard rushers (Bailey and Smith).

Let's put all those all time records under Marrone into even better perspective. In 4 years, Marrone took the one of the worst offensive teams in the history of Div I under GRob and set all time records at SU. Yup, that's evidence enough that his success here was because of the D.

007 said:
So, if the defense plays better than the offense the correlation is that the HC is defensive minded? It was nothing to do with personnel? A HC who cut his teeth in the NFL as a position coach on O the O coordinator of one of the most prolific NFL teams in recent memory (I know he didn't call the plays) is really a Defensive coach in disguise? I realize you don't care for Marrone, but you are better than this. You wash away the results of 2012 by referencing the last part of the season as being the "exception." In 2012, the O averaged an all time school record of 476 yds/game, they gained 500+ yards 7 times that season, which was also an all time record at SU. Nassib set school records for completions and passing yards 2 years in a row. Lemon set the school record receptions 2 years in a row, and there were 2 consecutive 1000 yard rushers (Bailey and Smith). Let's put all those all time records under Marrone into even better perspective. In 4 years, Marrone took the one of the worst offensive teams in the history of Div I under GRob and set all time records at SU. Yup, that's evidence enough that his success here was because of the D.

I didn't say he was a defensive minded coach either. He's had great coordinators there. Good for him. But the body of evidence over a 6 year period doesn't scream great offensive mind either. 6 years, not 6 months.

OK, Money Marrone to the Jets and then they get Drew Brees in free agency. Ba da bing!
No. Der Kaiser deals Nassib to the J-E-T-S , Jets and Orange men rule The Big Apple.

Crusty said:
OK, Money Marrone to the Jets and then they get Drew Brees in free agency. Ba da bing!

Getting Bree's would be bigger for the Jets than getting Marrone. A top 5 QB puts them in the playoffs.

Board members, prospective donors, athletic administrators, faculty, former players and high school coaches...oh, yes, and fans.

Operating solely on the basis of your posts, I would respectfully observe that I rarely think you have as encompassing a command on the "world" as you seem to think.

Well that narrows it down.

And it means nothing.

If you can PM me your information, that would be great.

OrangePA said:
Well that narrows it down. And it means nothing. If you can PM me your information, that would be great.

Meant to ask you, what brought you to the Fiesta Bowl? Visiting family and/or friends?

Happy New Year buddy.

Funny that all those records set in 2012 and only one player seeing regular playing time in the NFL. So, are we attributing those numbers to the talent or the scheme, or just to the fact that they were G-Rob recruits.

Some of the people on this board should get together with Axe and have a weekend retreat where they can share their feelings about Marrone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom