marrone will be here for the next 15-20 yrs | Syracusefan.com

marrone will be here for the next 15-20 yrs

IHeartSUFball

All Conference
just listeing to sirius radio and how mark richt and a few other coaches are on the hot seat and taking enormous pressure from the fan base. Just reminds me about Marrone having a long tenure here and there might be a 4 or 5 win season sprinkled in there but it will be intresting to see how are fan base reacts next year because I believe next year it will be top 2 in the Big East or bust in year 4. Either way Marrone is on his way to being a coach that everyone will know and love forever, and will be that coach that brought the tradition of winning back to cuse football.

just listeing to sirius radio and how mark richt and a few other coaches are on the hot seat and taking enormous pressure from the fan base. Just reminds me about Marrone having a long tenure here and there might be a 4 or 5 win season sprinkled in there but it will be intresting to see how are fan base reacts next year because I believe next year it will be top 2 in the Big East or bust in year 4. Either way Marrone is on his way to being a coach that everyone will know and love forever, and will be that coach that brought the tradition of winning back to cuse football.
marrone to the pros in 5 yrs --he will win here and get disgusted with the lack of supoprt an fan base--but his expertise will not go unnoticed

Was thinking about this during the Joe Paterno post. If Marrone is still coaching on the hill at 84 years old is there anyway we would view that as a bad thing?

he lives for cuse football and as a fanatic of cuse football its refreshing to see that this is his program/town. He won't leave here unless we win 3 big east titles in the next 5 years. no way until he accomplishes what he sets out to do and for us to be a consistent top 25... 9 win team/big east champs a few times.

Was thinking about this during the Joe Paterno post. If Marrone is still coaching on the hill at 84 years old is there anyway we would view that as a bad thing?

Just depends on the environment in Syracuse at that time I guess. If our program, despite strong future success, has found its niche and remains a relatively small program (as in good to great, but never a huge gate, or to be mistaken for a football factory), then Doug Marrone will be just as synonymous with Syracuse football for the next generation as #44 has been for previous generations. So I would say no, he wouldn't be feeling pressure to step down. But, if at some point we get a big infusion of cash to upgrade facilities to top-of-the-line and win multiple championships, then yeah, I could see the "what have you done for me lately" groups popping up at some point.

marrone to the pros in 5 yrs --he will win here and get disgusted with the lack of supoprt an fan base--but his expertise will not go unnoticed

The guy didn't walk into SU with a book that contained the blue print of how he was going to re-build SU with the intent of leaving after a short period. For some people it's not about the money, though that’s a hard concept for a lot of people to digest because of all the self-centeredness that exists in today’s society but Marrone isn't one of those people. He's here because he loves this program and this city and he's not going anywhere for a while, regardless what happens.

getaclue.

The guy didn't walk into SU with a book that contained the blue print of how he was going to re-build SU with the intent of leaving after a short period. For some people it's not about the money, though that’s a hard concept for a lot of people to digest because of all the self-centeredness that exists in today’s society but Marrone isn't one of those people. He's here because he loves this program and this city and he's not going anywhere for a while, regardless what happens.

getaclue.
Agreed. As long as he maintains a winning program and shows the ability to rebound in the event the program slips off for a year or two, he will be here as long as he wants to be. He loves the University and he loves Syracuse. He's not leaving unless he's forced out.

I really, really hope so. I worry sometimes that he may disappointed with some aspects of the job, but I'm pretty sure I'm way off base and it's just paranoia. I just hope that when he gets this thing thoroughly turned around the fans consistently show up.

I'm sure he watch Rich R dump his homey school only to get dumped himself. However he has a family and they pay him $1 million but what can he earn in the NFL? $2-3 million? 10 years tops! Unless SU plays along and gives him what he wants? Not a fat chance unless we get a conference realignment that brings home the bacon for his family and the program.

I'm hoping for a football version of Boeheim but I can also see, if Doug is a big success here that he might reveal that he ahs a second "dream job"- head coach in the NFL. Dick MacPherson had the same dream.

Ultimately its a win-win. If he has enough success to leave then it means the program would be in good shape for his successor. If he stays a while it means he's had enough success to stay.

Either way, there are worse problems.

if that were to happen, which it won't, he would have to blame the AD not the fanbase.

he lives for cuse football and as a fanatic of cuse football its refreshing to see that this is his program/town. He won't leave here unless we win 3 big east titles in the next 5 years. no way until he accomplishes what he sets out to do and for us to be a consistent top 25... 9 win team/big east champs a few times.

He could win numerous BE championships and a national championship and he will still be here. The only was he leaves is if he thinks he isn't doing his best for the program. He'll be here for a very long time.

I'm hoping for a football version of Boeheim but I can also see, if Doug is a big success here that he might reveal that he ahs a second "dream job"- head coach in the NFL. Dick MacPherson had the same dream.

Wait, isn't Maryland the "dream job" of every former Syracuse player?

But, while Mac loved SU, he wasn't an SU guy nor when he took the job did I sense this was his dream job. Marrone is 100% SU. It's in his blood and like he says, everything he did in his career was geared towards this job.

Here is why I love the people on this board (and the former before the move). SU fans believe in the tradition that is SU. When I was considering college choices it was academics for my major, for certain, but the Lacrosse team really drew me to SU. But listening to "Seek and Destroy", liquoring up and getting pumped for the football games in the dome just has no equal for me.

Marrone is the start of another great tradition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

when you look up macpherson, he was somewhat underwhelming aside from the 11-0-1 year. the following year was 10-2, but aside from that the best was 8-4 and a bunch of mediocre. 66-46-4 at SU, not that great. 3-1-1 in bowls. then he bombed big time with the patriots 8-24 over 2 seasons. if the bar for marrone is the "JB of football", that might not be realistic.

when you look up macpherson, he was somewhat underwhelming aside from the 11-0-1 year. the following year was 10-2, but aside from that the best was 8-4 and a bunch of mediocre. 66-46-4 at SU, not that great. 3-1-1 in bowls. then he bombed big time with the patriots 8-24 over 2 seasons. if the bar for marrone is the "JB of football", that might not be realistic.

There was the sack mac pack. People forget that we were spinning our wheels for quite a long time.

Yeah you take away 11-0-1 years and 10-2 years, coaches become less impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom