Matt Moyer transferring | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Moyer transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you looked at the trajectory of the season and who we had/have coming back next year and recruits, to me a transfer seemed highly likely. Moyer went from starting to essentially playing spot minutes when Dolezaj was in foul trouble or really scuffling. He had that whole issue with the ankle and JB and the press conference and lastly I think the writing was on the wall for next year. SU has Bazley and Dolezaj for the PF and Oshae can play there to if need be. SU also has Oshae, Buddy, and Hughes who can all play the three. Moyer was probably looking for a place he could play 25+ minutes a game at and Syracuse definitely wasn't that place. It might have been 2 years from now when we lose Oshae, Bazley and maybe Dolezaj but I dont think he wanted to wait and find out.
I was under the impression that Moyer's injury really held him back this season and hampered his development.

And just because he wasn't ready to play this season doesn't mean he can't improve and develop over the course of his career - even if that meant he wasn't ready to be in the rotation until his redshirt junior or senior season. Lazarus Sims is one of our most regarded point guards in program history and he didn't play until his fifth year.

Very disappointing decision for all parties, imo.

I coached American Legion baseball when I was 22 years old. We went to the final 8 in the state and were beat by Ron Darling. The team that won the state and finished second in the country, we beat. I always took the high road and I had some nitwit parents.
Such a bad comparison to JB lol.

This trend of attacking ex player's parents on this board is really a bad look for the board, imo.

Of course, if you post on the board, like BJs dad, then all is good. Apparantly he wasn't coddled

The head coach saying negative crap about a player's parents is a really bad look for the program, IMO.

This is awful news. I think it has less to do with playing time than you'd think. It's A factor, yeah, probably.

Matt was instrumental in bringing Elijah Hughes to SU. I'm sure this really sucks for him too.

While i have doubts that Moyer was ever going to contribute consistently on this level, he was a body at forward for the 19-20 season. We could potentially lose OB, Baz and Marek after next year. Need to get some forwards lined up for 19-20
Agreed

I'd expect us to look to take a flyer at Forward in 18 class that's uncommitted for depth purposes. Someone who will redshirt and develop over the next few years

The head coach saying negative crap about a player's parents is a really bad look for the program, IMO.

This is awful news. I think it has less to do with playing time than you'd think. It's A factor, yeah, probably.

Matt was instrumental in bringing Elijah Hughes to SU. I'm sure this really sucks for him too.

I agree with this but I also think Moyer probably in the long run wouldn’t have played like he would of wanted. It’s a tough case for sure because I liked his heart

Was Matt a Hop recruit? If so maybe he is headed west.

Thankfully, it is your opinion. It sends the message that I'm the captain of this ship and no one is above me.

An interesting side effect for Moyer is he was in Newhouse -- and by several accounts, he was already a very promising sports journalist in the making.
Wonder if that at all played a role in his decision.
Guessing 1%, if anything, but who knows.

I don't think they would have had time to have that meeting. Plus, JB wouldn't know whether Ob was definitely coming back. I think this is all from Matt and his folks.
He announced this before the team has even scheduled exit interviews with the coaches to discuss the future:
I mean it’s obvious he is gone because of the Wake postgame.

Wish him well and find another recruit for next year.
I keep saying Ryan Luther from Pitt.

So we are down to 8 healthy players if Battle doesn’t come back. Same crap every year.

Even if Battle doesn’t come back...how do you figure 8?

Howard, Carey, Hughes, Washington, Boeheim, Brissett, Bazely, Chukwu, Sidibe, Dolejaz

That’s 10, sure I know Sidibe needs to get healthy and Washington too, but this is not the end of the world. We will also get another recruit etc. the writing was on the wall. Moyer as much I appreciated and liked his effort wasn’t going to get PT. So the sky isnt falling and the SMH is just way premature. Not same crap every year. He wanted a different situation, for whatever the reason that’s his choice. Best of luck MM!!

I agree with this but I also think Moyer probably in the long run wouldn’t have played like he would of wanted. It’s a tough case for sure because I liked his heart

He wouldn't have played like whom would have wanted? Matt or JB?

Last edited:
The trend I hate the most is all the inferring and guessing based on cryptic stuff. It would probably be good just to put the “why” in a box and forget it’s there, until we hear otherwise from the Moyers or JB.

Good luck to you, Matthew. You’re appreciated.

Seems like a really good kid, wish him the best.

What D2 school has an excellent communications program? That's where I would go if I were him.

Before the dust settles, the thread is going to have enough conspiracy theories to make Alex Jones blush.
Dude you like to say that about pretty much every thread . Start your own post so you can hold to such high standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom