MCW is very talented... | Syracusefan.com

MCW is very talented...

I just wonder what his draft stock will look like if he keeps having stinkers against good teams. He padded his stats against some bad teams. An undermanned Seton Hall team is really bad. I like his craftiness and sometimes his court vision is brilliant but I don't see who he is going to drive by in the NBA. Maybe Kyrie Irving :cool:

I just wonder what his draft stock will look like if he keeps having stinkers against good teams. He padded his stats against some bad teams. An undermanned Seton Hall team is really bad. I like his craftiness and sometimes his court vision is brilliant but I don't see who he is going to drive by in the NBA. Maybe Kyrie Irving :cool:

Not...maybe Dion though. ;)

Kid hasn't played in a division 1 basketball yet.

Not...maybe Dion though. ;)

Lol. Dion needs work for sure but Kyrie could be one of the worst defensive PGs we have seen in quite some time. His defensive metrics are historically bad. He won't even try to deal with a screen. Local media guys even give him a hard time. Offensively he is brilliant, no question.

The game is more wide open in the NBA with players around him who can actually do something with the basketball, im sure MCW will be fine. Would I take him in the lottery..mehhh, but he's got a ton of talent and 6'6 point guards are ridiculously rare.

Exception o the rule. Point is yer after year we yearn for the next big thing. MCW was the guy up until 6 weeks ago. Now he is The guy we have to wait out until Ennis gets here.

I see your point. I'm not wishing for MCW to leave, but assuming he does I'm excited to see what Ennis can do.

I don't know where all this worried about freshman stuff comes from. It's 2013. Freshman step right in and play well all the time, especially guards. It's not that big of a deal, and the competition isn't that steep like it used to be. Most of the teams out there suck.

We've had quite a few good freshman guards...Flynn, Devendorf, GMac, Edelin, Autry, Pearl...Hart and Triche were decent.

I'm ready for a 2G who can shoot 40% from the arc and a post man who can score 10 points a game in the paint. Hope Gbinije and Coleman are ready for big things next year.

It just maybe that MCW doesnt go high enough in draft so he sticks another year...he has a few areas that need more than just little work to get better:
1. Can he keep his feet on the floor...this leaping to make passes is a TO waiting to happen
2. His shooting from 3 into 12-15 feet is not terrific
3. He is inconsistent finishing on drives...misses more than he makes
4. Must learn that passing first than shooting...not something he seems to embrace
5. His handle is okay, not great...dribbles to high and does not stay calm-not within himself

Although I believe he will go pro, I am not sure of his mentality insofar as a PG--he is not pass first shoot second when pressured. What would you do if he is here next year...does he become a 2-guard which was what he played mostly in High School?

The bizarre thing about MCW was that he had a rep coming to SU as a pretty good outside shooter. I don't know about anybody else but I fear for the rim's safety when he launches from behind the arc.

The bizarre thing about MCW was that he had a rep coming to SU as a pretty good outside shooter. I don't know about anybody else but I fear for the rim's safety when he launches from behind the arc.
That's the issue with wishing for the next big thing. You really never know what you are going to get. Flynn AND Harris both had reps as lockdown defenders, Fab had a rep as a big time big man especially after the decent showing in the Mickey d's game, Coleman had a rep as a scoring threat and rebounder, Terrence Roberts had a rep as a strong fundamentally sound player coming from st Anthony's, and was a good ft shooter in high school, and as you mentioned MCW had a rep as a good shooter. Be careful wishing for the next big thing. You really never know what you are getting until they actually start playing at this level.

Where do people think MCW is going? Forget that he can't shoot - his handle is weak and his first step is molasses slow - he can't get by anyone - an NBA defender will rough him up and take the ball at will - oh yeah, he has upside cuz he's 6-6 - blah, blah, blah - how tall is Tony Parker or Chris Paul or Westbrook or Irving? Is there even a good tall pg ever besides Magic? I guarantee at the end of the season no analysts have him as a lottery - there is nothing about his game that translates to the NBA

Where do people think MCW is going? Forget that he can't shoot - his handle is weak and his first step is molasses slow - he can't get by anyone - an NBA defender will rough him up and take the ball at will - oh yeah, he has upside cuz he's 6-6 - blah, blah, blah - how tall is Tony Parker or Chris Paul or Westbrook or Irving? Is there even a good tall pg ever besides Magic? I guarantee at the end of the season no analysts have him as a lottery - there is nothing about his game that translates to the NBA
He has a game that has a lot of room for improvement, he has lots of room to grow. Thats why he's going to be drafted imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that MCW had all this hype and was definitely coming back another year (which he still might do for all we know), there would be so much more support for the young man. I believe that so much criticism that he has gotten is the fact that most feel that he's leaving (which he likely will), but that sucks in my opinion. This is MCW's first full year of playing... imagine if we felt that he was coming back another year. Would he still receive the same kind of sharp criticism? I strongly believe that would not be the case because he is still learning how to play this game and even at that, doing a fine job. Yes, it hurts me to see our PG play as he does as times but at this stage of his career, he is one hell of a player and one who I am very happy to have on our side of the ball. I just don't believe that he should get the crap that he does because he is likely NBA bound. He SHOULD get crap for what he does on the court, which is just, but at times, I believe it is just over the top because of his likely departure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom