Melo on the move... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Melo on the move...

What does that have to do with the Lakers?

I was trying to illustrate some of LBJ’s accolades and show examples of bad teams he carried. Regardless, his body of work does not merit a franchise turning on him if the Lakers perform poorly which they certainly may. But, it’s hard to bet against the guy. He’d be fine in any system as well. His game transcends any coaches, GMs, systems, etc.

Noone said its invalidated. But hes a star and people like knock stars down a peg. If the Lakers suck he will be blamed.

Carmelo was a top 5 NBA player when he chose the Knicks. Being a legit superstar hes a guy who was always going to catch heat if he never won a ring think Malone and Barkley. He went to the Knicks... and now people act like he shoots at the wrong bucket and wants to lose.

In the era of super teams NO superstar NBA players have been dumb enough to chose a crappy team of their own volition to play for since supporting cast is so important. Melo is the guy who chose to try and win with the Knicks and reading through this thread even Syracuse fans who should always have his back are ripping him.

When was Melo a top 5 player?

He doesn't catch heat because he doesn't have a ring, he catches heat because he doesn't do anything to make his team or players around him better.

He doesn't catch heat because he doesn't have a ring, he catches heat because he doesn't do anything to make his team or players around him better.

He wasn't top 5 the year he took Denver to the WCF and couldn't quite get past Kobe and LA? I would argue he was top 5 for sure at that point or at worse in a horse race for that fifth spot. Melo was right there after you accounted for LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Dirk. Duncan was slowing down, CP3 was right there as well. Pierce and KG slowing a lot albeit effective. You could argue he was there for a 2-4 stretch. Otherwise I think some have their minds clouded by the mess in NY and since.

He wasn't top 5 the year he took Denver to the WCF and couldn't quite get past Kobe and LA? I would argue he was top 5 for sure at that point or at worse in a horse race for that fifth spot. Melo was right there after you accounted for LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Dirk. Duncan was slowing down, CP3 was right there as well. Pierce and KG slowing a lot albeit effective. You could argue he was there for a 2-4 stretch. Otherwise I think some have their minds clouded by the mess in NY and since.

i would just say that Boston took the Lakers to 7 in the finals the NEXT season. and then lost to the Heat in 7 in the CF's TWO additional years later.

I love Melo... no one in their right mind is arguiing he was ever the 2nd best player in the league. He literally didnt garner 1 single vote for NBA MVP in the year you are referencing.

2008-09 NBA Awards Voting | Basketball-Reference.com

Melo was top 5 at that time.

Kobe, Dirk, lebron, wade, melo

I’d say roughly in the same years Cuse was arguably a top 5 program...2010-2014 or so. Debatable, but there’s a good argument to be made, and if he/they wasn’t it was like 7th so close enough.

Putting up like 28 ppg makes the game easier for everybody on that court. Drew a ton of defensive attention and was always the guy they threw the ball to with a few seconds on the shot clock and he’d still create a decent look out of nothing.

Melo was top 5 at that time.

Kobe, Dirk, lebron, wade, melo

He was right there with CP3, Howard, and a few others in that 4-10 range for a solid half decade.

Carmelo’s peak seasons coincided with LeBron’s and Durant’s. That’s his only real crime...not being as good as those two.

He did win a scoring title in the greatest wing scorer era(Kobe was still great too) in NBA history.

Couldn't disagree more on either point.
Great article
How Carmelo Anthony helps the Knicks score more efficiently beyond his own points

Also there's a ton of dedicated memes making fun of Melo not winning a ring. I've received most of those by my hater friends, even got a new one 2 weeks ago.

Great article
How Carmelo Anthony helps the Knicks score more efficiently beyond his own points

Also there's a ton of dedicated memes making fun of Melo not winning a ring. I've received most of those by my hater friends, even got a new one 2 weeks ago.

In short that article implies to stop solely relying on nerd stats to try to sound smart, and instead actually watch the games. Love it.

I used to deal with an NBA fan who would say things like the Knicks should get more shots for Prigioni and Chandler because they’re more efficient than Melo, and things like Kyle Korver is better than Melo and then would cite some nerdy stats. Unbearable to have a sports convo with that guy.

Great article

in all honesty, its a mix of both. He isnt as good (NBA career) as some cuse fans say - he certainly isnt as bad as "haters" say. I'd would say the real answer is closer to the cuse fan argument too.

Productive, Very good, certainly a HOF, but ball stopping player who cant carry a team like lebron can to the ECF with no one else on it - and didnt get lucky to be put in the position that Wade did to get 3 rings, and cost himself too many games with suspensions and injuries. He'd prob be at 27,500 points by now with an easy road to top 7 scorer of all time.

in all honesty, its a mix of both. He isnt as good (NBA career) as some cuse fans say - he certainly isnt as bad as "haters" say. I'd would say the real answer is closer to the cuse fan argument too.

Productive, Very good, certainly a HOF, but ball stopping player who cant carry a team like lebron can to the ECF with no one else on it - and didnt get lucky to be put in the position that Wade did to get 3 rings, and cost himself too many games with suspensions and injuries. He'd prob be at 27,500 points by now with an easy road to top 7 scorer of all time.

Yeah.

Averaged 27PPG at 24 years old when he carried the Nuggets to the WCF that lost in 6 games
against one of the best Lakers teams ever that won 65 games and beat the Magic in 5 games.

An aging Chauncey Billups and JR Smith were the best players he played with.

Imagine if Melo went to the Warriors like Durant. You'd be calling him weak too.

something i actually just kind of thought of in that last post:

Melo has played in 1054/1230 games in his 15 yr career. Missed roughly 14.4% of his games
Lebrons has played in 1143/1230. Missed roughly 7.1%,

give Melo a career average of 24.1 which is probably conservative as it has been dropping last few seasons - and the majority of the seasons he missed significant time was in his prime - over the course of the 89 games (more than a FULL NBA season!!) that Lebron has played in and we are talking 2145 points + 25417 and its right on par (a little higher) than my off the top of my head guesstimate of 27500 (27562).

Yeah.

Averaged 27PPG at 24 years old when he carried the Nuggets to the WCF that lost in 6 games
against one of the best Lakers teams ever that won 65 games and beat the Magic in 5 games.

Imagine if Melo went to the Warriors like Durant. You'd be calling him weak too.

what the hell is your deal with me? Seriously.

1st off all, he averaged 23 points per game. 2nd he also had AI on the team. 3rd of all, Lebron just carries teams to 10 ECF's. You just cant compare the 2. 4th of all, im pretty fair to Melo in this post.

Aging Chauncey also finished 6th in NBA MVP that year. Not an insult to Melo at all... but its a little different than Lebron taking a few of those Cavs teams to 55-60 wins and NBA Finals/ECF's

2008-09 Denver Nuggets Roster and Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Yeah.

Last point, Melo was never the 2nd best player in the world - let alone for 5+ straight years. He also didnt give up a 3-1 lead to the warriors so it would just be different.

No one is calling Melo weak now going to the Rockets.

Snap Poll: Who deserved the ROY award for the 03-04 season, Melo or LeBron?

I say Melo. Led the Nuggets to the postseason in a tougher conference. LBJ's Cavs didn't even make the playoffs.

1st off all, he averaged 23 points per game. 2nd he also had AI on the team. 3rd of all, Lebron just carries teams to 10 ECF's. You just cant compare the 2. 4th of all, im pretty fair to Melo in this post.

Aging Chauncey also finished 6th in NBA MVP that year. Not an insult to Melo at all... but its a little different than Lebron taking a few of those Cavs teams to 55-60 wins and NBA Finals/ECF's

AI played 3 games.

Billups played 77.

Melo averaged 27 ppg in the playoffs.

Nobody is comparing Melo to Lebron, but you. And you keep moving the goalposts. First it was not top 5 in the MVP. People found out he finished 3rd and now it is he was never the 2nd best player.

Honestly i hate Lebroniacs. Makes me not want to root for Lebron at all. They crap on everything else NBA because nobody else is Lebron and you've had a history of criticizing Melo for years on the board. Frankly it's weird for someone who's done more for the Syracuse basketball program and charity than pretty much any player we have had.

Dion Waiters get's more respect here smh.

AI was on the team before Chauncey got there. They were traded for each other.

AI played 3 games.

Billups played 77.

Nobody is comparing Melo to Lebron, but you. And you keep moving the goalposts. First it was not top 5 in the MVP. People found out he finished 3rd and now it is he was never the 2nd best player.

Honestly i hate Lebroniacs. Makes me not want to root for Lebron at all. They crap on everything else NBA because nobody else is Lebron and you've had a history of criticizing Melo for years on the board. Frankly it's weird for someone who's done more for the Syracuse basketball program and charity than pretty much any player we have had.

my bad on the AI thing. forgot about that trade.

I never once said anything about top 5 in MVP that i was wrong on or moved the goalposts. YOu really need to check your reading cromprehension. I SPECIFICALLY stated he wasnt an NBA MVP vote getter in 2008/2009 AND THEN I EVEN CONFIRMED WITH YOU TO ASK WHAT YOU WERE REFERRING TO WITH "FAKE STATS" THAT YOU CONVENIENTLY IGNORED. I literally NEVER said anyhting about him never being top 5 MVP.

Stop just disagreeing with me for no reason and try to see what i am actually saying. It probably isnt all that far from you. I am a Syracuse fan as well. We are family. I am being serious. There is ZERO reason to be adouche like you are right now. Zero.

Chauncey got the MVP votes and the “credit” for helping that team “win”...he was coming off that great Detroit run that included a championship. I always felt that he got a little too much reactionary credit and it was more at the expense of Iverson. Like Iverson was holding them back because of his play style was the narrative and that he went to Detroit and completely flopped really put that narrative in overdrive.

While Chauncey probably was a better fit for that team than Iverson, Carmelo was still the best player on the team - just like he was when Iverson was there. Interestingly, people tend to forget about/ignore how Chauncey didn’t get it done against the Lakers. Had he lived up to his 6th in MVP voting, Mr. Big Shot, the ultimate clutchest winner guard ever reputation that some were pushing at the time, the Nuggets win that series.

my bad on the AI thing. forgot about that trade.

I never once said anything about top 5 in MVP that i was wrong on or moved the goalposts. YOu really need to check your reading cromprehension. I SPECIFICALLY stated he wasnt an NBA MVP vote getter in 2008/2009 AND THEN I EVEN CONFIRMED WITH YOU TO ASK WHAT YOU WERE REFERRING TO WITH "FAKE STATS" THAT YOU CONVENIENTLY IGNORED. I literally NEVER said anyhting about him never being top 5 MVP.

Stop just disagreeing with me for no reason and try to see what i am actually saying. It probably isnt all that far from you. I am a Syracuse fan as well. We are family. I am being serious. There is ZERO reason to be adouche like you are right now. Zero.

I am not being a D at all. I wasn't even responding to you in the previous post. Other people were talking about him never being a top 5 player.

It drives me nuts he gets so much criticism here when he's done more for the program than any player we have had sans JB. That is all.

AI played 3 games.

Billups played 77.

And i've had years of critcizing Melo? 1st of all, how do i even stand out to you that much? Outside of a few people on here, i have no idea how long people have been on here or recall their arguments from years ago.

Now - any criticism I have is that his NBA career has been a let down to me based on my sky high "expectations" of him. I really thought he was going to be even better. ANd i try to convey that with any criticism. I feel weird calling it "expectations" but i really thought he had an opportunity to be an all time great. And hes going to the HOF... but more in like Dominque WIlkins way than a Kevin Garnett way.

I also routinely call him the most dominant college player bar none of the last 30 years. And i absolutely stand by that.

So i think you are mistaken on my love for Melo.

I am not being a D at all. I wasn't even responding to you in the previous post. Other people were talking about him never being a top 5 player.

It drives me nuts he gets so much criticism here when he's done more for the program than any player we have had sans JB. That is all.

in DIRECT RESPONSE to my post you typed this word for word:

"Nobody is comparing Melo to Lebron, but you. And you keep moving the goalposts. First it was not top 5 in the MVP. People found out he finished 3rd and now it is he was never the 2nd best player."

"and YOU keep moving the goalposts"

in my post earlier asking "what fake news are you talking about - it was 100% to clarify you didnt think i said anything to do with he was never "in top 5 in the mvp. people found out he finished 3rd and now it he was never 2nd best player"

I brought up 2nd best player 2 times - 1 because someone else said he was 2-5 that year or something similar and then the 2nd was in comparison to your Durant/Melo being weak going to Warriors. It was an explanation for the backlash that Durant got for it that Melo wouldnt have.

So, sorry if i think you are being a D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom