Mid-term grades for your Orange men | Syracusefan.com

Mid-term grades for your Orange men

billsin01

All American
So we're 18-1, 6-0 and somewhere in the neighborhood of the halfway point so I figure it's a nice chance to hand out some individual grades again. A disclaimer before we get going: A "bad" grade doesn't mean I don't like a player, it simply means there's either a lot of room for improvement or that he's met some basic criteria but hasn't shown a ton of improvement, etc. And yes, these are wholly, thoroughly and completely subjective.

MCW -- A-
I had MCW at A+ when I did this exercise after 12 games and I don't htink I'm alone in suggesting that a bit of the sheen that was there has worn a bit. But having said that, anyone who thinks MCW isn't the single biggest reason we're 18-1 right now is crazy. In a bizarro world somewhere, MCW would come back next year as a stronger, more in control player with a better shot, but we all know that won't happen. What can happen, however, is that we may very well see him grow before our eyes. There is always an adjustment for young players in BE play and the good ones get better within the season. I know there were 8 TOs vs. L'ville, but since the Temple disaster, MCW is quietly shooting a respectable .375 from 3 (largely due to shot selection) and he played a solid second half vs. L'ville and a pretty strong game vs. Cincy -- two of the tougher defenses we'll see. He's growing and he's already very good.

Fair -- A-
I love Fair's game. Whatever game you want to count as his worst game this year -- it's between Canisius, Wagner, Colgate and E. Michigan -- it was a meaningless one that we won by 25+. We could've used a bit more vs. Detroit, but ultimately this is a kid who plays well against the toughest competition we face. His tip-in vs. Cincy is classic Fair -- the play wasn't designed for him but he was in the right spot at the right time and made a play that, while not terribly exciting, was huge for us. He makes free throws, he rebounds, he plays solid defense (he's blocked 14 shots in six BE games), he can hit jumpers but he doesn't fall in love with the jumper. Just a really good all-around player who's been great in BE play (15.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 85% from the line)

Triche -- B+
I've been critical of Triche at times and I'm sure some will say that a B+ is a slap in the face. To those folks, I'll say this: I've loved BT the past two games and feel he is unquestionably trending in the right direction. I feel like he's using his big frame so much more effectively and continues to be much more decisive with the ball. Love it and think (hope) it will continue. He's had a nice year and I expect he'll be in the A range soon, I just want to see him do it for a few more games before put him at the same level as the other two guys on this list.

Grant -- B+
Maybe this is my own bias, but I didn't expect Grant to do much this season simply b/c he had good players in front of him. For him to average like 9 ppg and 6 rpg when pressed into duty for Southerland is ridiculous. My favorite Grant attribute: Confidence. Loved his drive down the lane at the end of the cincy game -- gutsy and the right thing to do, IMO, there. Also directly leads to CJ's game-winning tip-in. Smart, confident, talented player.

Keita -- B
I won't give Keita quite as much love as I gave him earlier in the season. Since the Temple game, he's attempted just over 1 field goal per contest and he had a pretty brutal USF-Provy-Nova stretch in there as well. But he played well in the L'ville win and was decent against Cincy. I have a hard time giving him anything lower than a B b/c he's a guy who accepts his role and even embraces it. Very valuable. And while he's not overly talented, guys like Ovcina, Bill Celuk marvel at what he doesn on the court. Compared to Jeremy McNeil, Baye looks like he's got Jerry Rice's hands. And he's a better finisher than Forth. The kid is a valuable piece for this program.

Christmas -- C-
What can you say about Christmas? He's had some high points (15 and 8 vs. Provy) and plays good defense. And he doesn't need to be a huge scoring threat, but he's notched 2 points in three BE games, 4 points in two others and his minutes dipped significantly vs. L'ville and Cincy -- our two toughest league games to date. Doesn't bode well. I like the guy and still have faith in him, but it's been a tough year.

Coleman -- C+
I give him a little bit of a bump over Xmas since he's a frosh and since he used his left to finish a play at least once this season. Thank you Dajuan. Otherwise, while I wasn't expecting too much, he has a hard time staying on the floor right now vs. good opponents. He'll be fine but I'd be pretty surprised if we end up seeing much of DC this season.

Cooney -- C+
I think he's trending in the right direction and really hasn't been bad. I doubt we'll be real excited every time he's on the floor, but he's up to around 30% from three and he had four steals vs. cincy. I'm still holding out hope he can be a meaningful option as a third guard. I think he's fairly close.

Southerland -- D
Maybe harsh, but the dude missed the most important stretch of the season and we don't know if he'll return. I'm not going to hammer him for (allegedly) buying a paper -- I know a lot of folks who did this and saved themselves a lot of work. But it's still at least something I hope he doesn't get caught for. Regardless, if he's playing he's really valuable. If not ...

I'd give Coleman an incomplete. It's a godsend that we have Baye, but in a way, I wish we didn't, cause I would like to see what DC2 could do in 25-30 minutes a game. I know this is a broad brush stroke comment, but JB doesn't give freshman centers any kind of opportunities (to succeed or to fail). Part of that could be a by product of the zone. The last freshman center for the Cuse to average over 7 pts a game and 5 boards was Otis Hill in 93-94. I think that is something DC2 could have easily attained if he was playing more than 14 minutes a game.

It's a godsend that we have Baye, but in a way, I wish we didn't, cause I would like to see what DC2 could do in 25-30 minutes a game.

Man, you said it all..Boeheim loves his less talented crutches...

I'd give Coleman an incomplete. It's a godsend that we have Baye, but in a way, I wish we didn't, cause I would like to see what DC2 could do in 25-30 minutes a game. I know this is a broad brush stroke comment, but JB doesn't give freshman centers any kind of opportunities (to succeed or to fail). Part of that could be a by product of the zone. The last freshman center for the Cuse to average over 7 pts a game and 5 boards was Otis Hill in 93-94. I think that is something DC2 could have easily attained if he was playing more than 14 minutes a game.

My theory on this is that it's a speed of the game kind of thing due in part to conditioning. I mean I feel like you can visibly see DC is a step behind everyone else on the floor, particularly when he's on defense. You saw that with Fab (and of course both have/had conditioning issues as well). Even offensively and on the glass you can see it. I mean, he's bigger and stronger than a lot of dudes but people are just constantly beating him to the ball. He got shut out in the rebounding department. In 37 minutes vs. USF/PC/Nova/L'ville/Cincy he grabbed a total of 3 rebounds. Obviously a small sample size and he'd obviously improve by playing a bit more but I just think there are too many gifted athletes on this team to "give" someone minutes.

Eh, I'd argue JB has gone to painstaking effort to try and force-feed DC some minutes of late.

How often does he even get back into a game after being yanked the first time?

Fair A- Mr. Consistency. Keeps everything together. Most under rated player in country
MCW B+ Temple game keeping him out of A's
Triche B+ Has done a great job taking over the leadership role
Grant B Not much expected in his FR year, but has been huge in JS absence, while giving us a peep show of what is to come
Baye C+ Definitely gets the absolute most out of his ability, just doesn't have too much to work with. Solid back up
Rak C+ Has shown potential, but the quick hook kills him. Expecting a much bigger contribution going forward
Derrick D+ Has definitely been a let down, but has a bright future, unfortunately that doesn't help this year
Cooney D+ Was hoping for more from the rFR, just hasn't materialized. Hopefully he can knock down some 3's more consistently going forward
Dirty Inc.. Was B before being ruled ineligible. Can explode for 20+ on any given night, but can also give you 2 just the same

JB A- Has done another wonderful job with a team that suffered major losses.

I'll say this about Coleman: I agree he's maybe a step slow, and that's probably a conditioning thing that will be rectified in the break between his freshman and soph seasons.

But I frigging love how fired up he gets when he does make a contribution. He's going to be good as a soph.

I look at the big picture and trends too, not just individual games. As such, I give CJ an A (not an A+ because there's always room to improve). Without Fair, this team is nowhere near where they are. A quiet MVP. Same can be said for MCW and BT, who have occasional brain farts but obviously are the core of this team. As for Trevor, the trend is his friend. As a whole, he would not get a great grade, but as a trend last few games, the grade improves substantially due to his D and his slowly building confidence to contribute tangibly on O. I agree with Clifton in that DC2 gets an incomplete - expectations vs. reality would result in a low grade, but reality will eventually reach expectations, but maybe not til next year, thus incomplete.

If we didn't have Baye it would be Rak not DC2 that would be seeing 25-30 minutes per game. And lets not be crying a river for Rak or DC2 because they are benefiting from JBs trend of token starts for McDs, they in no way earned that.

BMK has busted his butt and earned PT the old fashioned way and people whine "if only he weren't here". Pathetic really.

As for DC2 not beating Otis' frosh numbers - boo hoo. We are no longer in the nineties. This is a golden era and if a frosh is logging big minutes it will be based on unexpected circumstance (ie MCW departing early) and certainly not by design.

Remarkable. Our top 9 players together have a GPA of 2.7. That's a B- by my reckoning.

Yet we have the best record in Division 1 hoops and are arguably #1 in the nation. Must be the Ol Perfessor is doing a pretty good job this year.

Southerland's grade should be : "Incomplete"

Remarkable. Our top 9 players together have a GPA of 2.7. That's a B- by my reckoning.

Yet we have the best record in Division 1 hoops and are arguably #1 in the nation. Must be the Ol Perfessor is doing a pretty good job this year.

Well, if you're taking a team GPA then you'd certainly have to weight it by minutes played, right? I mean, Cooney getting whatever grade he gets shouldn't count the same as BT or Fair, etc. But, regardless, the ol' prof does a pretty good job every year.

How often does he even get back into a game after being yanked the first time?

I can't answer that question but he's logged an average of 10.7 mpg in the last three games (all three tight contests and two of the three DC did little or nothing -- 3 pts, 1 reb in his last 17 minutes). That's not insignificant time by any means.

But DC has had just three games where he's logged fewer than 9 minutes -- that doesn't suggest to me that JB has been punitive in any way shape or form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom