Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It it all boils down to this we all want Hopkins to succeed. However half of the Fanbase is concerned Hopkins isn't the guy who is going to be able to be a good enough HC and the other half isn't worried about Hopkins abilities simple as that.

The new AD has had a personal relationship with JB Hop and the BOT for years. Put a fork in it. HCMH is set in stone.

Again, you are barking up the wrong tree. I am not anti-Hopkins getting the job.

Again, you are barking up the wrong tree. I am not anti-Hopkins getting the job.
I know your not. I more than most will create post to spur discussion. We all know that Hop is our next coach. Everyone who supports the program obviously wants him to succeed. I also believe that the majority of us are a little concerned as to how he will do. My guess is that baring a complete melt down he will get three years to prove himself. I appreciate this post as it is good food for thought.

Other than a new AD, who wasn't in place a year ago. Other than that gigantic difference, not much has changed.
I doubt seriously a new AD is going to override the Chancellor and a written contract that is bound by the University and not just the old AD.

The funny thing is, I agree with almost all of your post except the highlighted sentence. That is a BS attribution for you to make. This is a bulletin board for discussions, and just because somebody doesn't share the same opinion you do doesn't make them argumentative. I'm under no obligation to go along with the party line, or the standard groupthink -- my opinion in this case was highly rational, sensible, and objective, in the face of a lot [from some, not all] of subjective emotion-laden backlash because people like Hopkins. For the record, so do I.

Which is why it is funny to me that you are so vociferously arguing with what I've stated, as we seem to be on the same page on the rest of the subject. Love Hop, would prefer to see us go for an established big name commensurate with the prestige of our program, because an unproven coach with virtually zero head coaching experience constitutes a bigger risk to the program. Also wouldn't be upset if Hop got the job. I also don't put much stock in his 9 game stint.

I also don't think that SU "can't" pay an out settlement. Our financial circumstances are different than they've been in the past. That doesn't mean that the University would want [nor should want] to go that route, but it is a false statement to say that they wouldn't be able to pay it. If we bought Hopkins out, I can't imagine that we'd end up paying him more than $2-$5M. That isn't chump change, but it wouldn't be an insurmountable deal breaker, either. There's no way we'd be on the hook for the full amount--which means that it wouldn't be the impediment you're blowing it out of proportion to be.

Well, what's most funny is - you actually do share the same opinion as me for the most part, yet keep on arguing the other side anyway.

There's a term for that. ;)

Well, what's most funny is - you actually do share the same opinion as me for the most part, yet keep on arguing the other side anyway.

What's actually funny is that you state 90% of the same things I did earlier, focused only on one aspect of what I was saying, and then railed against that one thing like my position was unreasonable--which it is not. So now who's being argumentative?

Contracts are only valid so long as both parties honor them--not sure what is so difficult to comprehend about that. Coaches are dismissed all the time at both the professional and collegiate level even though they have contracts. And the financial penalties associated with breaking one in our case wouldn't be nearly as prohibitive as you've exaggerated. None of the above can be disputed with intellectual honesty, so this really isn't much of an "argument." I'm sorry if it's not what people want to hear.

And pointing out that Wildhack is on board with Hop doesn't change anything for me--I never said that he wasn't, in this or any other thread.

Not going to say that there are three lights when there are four to appease people who can't abide others having different opinions--sorry.

Last edited:
I'm just pointing out that contracts are only valid when both parties honor them--not sure what is so difficult to comprehend about that. And that the financial penalties associated with breaking one in this case wouldn't be nearly as prohibitive as you believe. If you feel that's argumentative, so be it.

Not going to see that there are three lights when there are four--sorry.
What is the financial penalty associated with a failed coach and an empty dome? People don't seem to factor in that side of the equation. From the discussion here no one will be held responsible as everyone has plausible deniability.

I drive to Sedona just for lunch sometimes. From where I live it is just 90 minutes. All I have to do is drive about 30 minutes north and I'm in totally different scenery. Also, I live in Phoenix next to the mountain preserve. I see city and mountains, not much desert.
is that range that has the camelback shape

i haven't seen the contract . no one here has . i doubt it's bullet proof and hopkins could leave here with just a bag of peanuts.

What's actually funny is that you state 90% of the same things I did earlier, focused only on one aspect of what I was saying, and then railed against that one thing like my position was unreasonable--which it is not. So now who's being argumentative?

Contracts are only valid so long as both parties honor them--not sure what is so difficult to comprehend about that. Coaches are dismissed all the time at both the professional and collegiate level even though they have contracts. And the financial penalties associated with breaking one in our case wouldn't be nearly as prohibitive as you've exaggerated. None of the above can be disputed with intellectual honesty, so this really isn't much of an "argument." I'm sorry if it's not what people want to hear.

And pointing out that Wildhack is on board with Hop doesn't change anything for me--I never said that he wasn't, in this or any other thread.

Not going to say that there are three lights when there are four to appease people who can't abide others having different opinions--sorry.

I'm gonna reply one last time, then go have another beer.

Syracuse is ON RECORD that Mike Hopkins is HCIW. Hop is down with this.
What would be their premise for not honoring that contract? Or his?
Hop has turned down other opportunities because of this arrangement.

Wildhack isn't some careerist AD who needs "his guy" to "make his mark", so he can get the big AD job at Michigan or Bama.
Why would he not go thru with that deal? And who would he hire if he did reneg on it?
Syracuse has ZERO HISTORY with EVER spending top dollar on anything related to athletics - but they will now?
For no real reason? Just because?
We're barely paying median wage for Dino. I'm sure pretty much every other new ACC coach is making more than he is.
And Football "drives the bus". Why didn't we hire Richt? Or Saban? :p

JB probably earns like half of what his market value truly is.
But 'Cuse is going to crack open the coffers now, on some other hoops coach, without even giving Hop the chance he was promised?

To paraphrase noted philosopher and warrior/poet Carmelo Anthony,
"you know how Syracuse do."

There are infinite possibilites of what might happen.
And you're welcome to continue to discuss and debate them. No matter how unlikely some may be.
I have no problem with you, or anybody, having a differing opinion.
Just going to point out when it's sadly mistaken. ;)

I'm gonna reply one last time, then go have another beer.

Syracuse is ON RECORD that Mike Hopkins is HCIW. Hop is down with this.
What would be their premise for not honoring that contract? Or his?
Hop has turned down other opportunities because of this arrangement.

Wildhack isn't some careerist AD who needs "his guy" to "make his mark", so he can get the big AD job at Michigan or Bama.
Why would he not go thru with that deal? And who would he hire if he did reneg on it?
Syracuse has ZERO HISTORY with EVER spending top dollar on anything related to athletics - but they will now?
For no real reason? Just because?
We're barely paying median wage for Dino. I'm sure pretty much every other new ACC coach is making more than he is.
And Football "drives the bus". Why didn't we hire Richt? Or Saban? :p

JB probably earns like half of what his market value truly is.
But 'Cuse is going to crack open the coffers now, on some other hoops coach, without even giving Hop the chance he was promised?

To paraphrase noted philosopher and warrior/poet Carmelo Anthony,
"you know how Syracuse do."

There are infinite possibilites of what might happen.
And you're welcome to continue to discuss and debate them. No matter how unlikely some may be.
I have no problem with you, or anybody, having a differing opinion.
Just going to point out when it's sadly mistaken. ;)
721, very well written, but it is frustrating that you continue to argue against points that I never made. Maybe that explains the disconnect. Oh well. If you are interested, review Alsacs / KCSU's quick summaries, as they reflect my stance on Hop.

Have that beer, and have a good weekend!

My greatest fear is that JB coaches through next season as expected, and that this thread continues to grow and ultimately devours all of us and our families and friends.

i haven't seen the contract . no one here has . i doubt it's bullet proof and hopkins could leave here with just a bag of peanuts.

There's certainly a buyout. That's the point of the contract. It's not a bag of peanuts. Don't be so naive.

Your position is pretty unreasonable given Boeheim, Syracuse University, Wildhack and the Chancellor have all publicly stated Hopkins is taking over. There is absolutely nothing that suggests otherwise, which is why I asked why anyone would even question it. It's a done deal according to everyone at Syracuse.

Your position is pretty unreasonable given Boeheim, Syracuse University, Wildhack and the Chancellor have all publicly stated Hopkins is taking over. There is absolutely nothing that suggests otherwise, which is why I asked why anyone would even question it. It's a done deal according to everyone at Syracuse.
My position was that new ADs sometimes bring in their own candidates, and that contracts are not insurmountable obstacles, as some have mistakenly claimed.

I never said that Wildhack would or should replace Hop, which is where you and others repeatedly have misrepresented. So when you say " my position is unreasonable," you are actually referring to a make believe position that you are falsely attributing to me. Make sense?

you think there's already a salary set when neither mike nor the university knew when he'd take over at the time of negotiation ?

My position was that new ADs sometimes bring in their own candidates, and that contracts are not insurmountable obstacles, as some have mistakenly claimed.

I never said that Wildhack would or should replace Hop, which is where you and others repeatedly have misrepresented. So when you say " my position is unreasonable," you are actually referring to a make believe position that you are falsely attributing to me. Make sense?

Oh, ok. How often do new AD's bring in their own candidates when the school they went to work for has a HCIW already in place, contract done, and publicly stated by eveyone that assistant coach is taking over? A lot of times, new AD's go with the flow, and don't do anything, like Mark Coyle. Who said the contract was an insurmountable obstacle? One guy said there wasn't a contract in place, which makes no sense. Nothing has changed according to Syracuse Univsrsity, the new AD, Boeheim or Kent S. They all say Hopkins is taking over.

Last edited:
you think there's already a salary set when neither mike nor the university knew when he'd take over at the time of negotiation ?

I think there's a sizeable penalty that would greatly compensate Hopkins should the university not honor the contract. Look at the $5 million dollar penalty FSU would have had to pay Jimbo Fischer had he not been named head coach by January 2011. That was stipulated in Jimbo's HCIW contract.

0619465001453907238_filepicker.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online