Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I think there's a sizeable penalty " you don't know. and if jimbo fisher was due 5 million then mike hopkins is closer to 100k.
and that estimate is due solely to the vast gap between the programs and the coaches you choose to reference.

Oh, ok. How often do new AD's bring in their own candidates when the school they went to work for has a HCIW already in place, contract done, and publicly stated by eveyone that assistant coach is taking over? A lot of times, new AD's go with the flow, and don't do anything, like Mark Coyle. Who said the contract was an insurmountable obstacle? One guy said there wasn't a contract in place, which makes no sense. Nothing has changed according to Syracuse Univsrsity, the new AD, Boeheim or Kent S. They all say Hopkins is taking over.

LOL. We both know that there are not many examples of schools having HCIW designated years in advance, so conveniently not much precedent to compare things to. Which is why you chose to qualify things that way.

Precisely because there are countless examples of new ADs hiring new coaches in revenue sports once they take over.

Just as there are numerous examples of professional sports GMs bringing in new coaches as soon as they get their fingers on the controls--contracts be damned in both cases.

New ADs only go with the flow when the programs they take oversight responsibility for are functioning at a high level, and don't require intervention.

Do you disagree?

Last edited:
When Wildhack first got hired I wondered if Boeheim would want to stay longer because of their relationship. It never eccured to me that Wildhack would want to go away from the ultimate Syracuse guy (Hopkins) and do a national search to hire an outside person. Interested hearing other people's perspectives.

When Wildhack first got hired I wondered if Boeheim would want to stay longer because of their relationship. It never eccured to me that Wildhack would want to go away from the ultimate Syracuse guy (Hopkins) and do a national search to hire an outside person. Interested hearing other people's perspectives.

This is what the thread has been primarily about the past two pages or so if you hunt through it. I and RF have been scolded for even suggesting that Wildhack wouldn't be shackled to his desk and/or not permitted to engage in some discussions outside of SU or, at the very least, put feelers out there regarding the new coach. Quoting what Wildhack said back in the summer is naive at best and shouldn't be counted as gospel. I imagine he would do his due diligence to get his guy and find the best candidate. This may remain Hopkins which we all hope ends up like a Jimbo Fisher transition

But, to completely dismiss this as a realistic possibility is just asinine to me. A contract, verbal or written, can be broken buyout or no buyout. Everyday business works like this. I don't know also why people think the Chancellor is such a supreme player in this scenario. Chancellors everywhere are controlled by the ADs, politicians, BoTs, organized crime, etc. They are told what to do.

SoBeCuse I'm curious if you saw what I wrote maybe a half dozen pages back about the SU booster telling a guy I know that Hop is not the replacement. I don't think you commented on it and I was surprised you didn't.

This is what the thread has been primarily about the past two pages or so if you hunt through it. I and RF have been scolded for even suggesting that Wildhack wouldn't be shackled to his desk and/or not permitted to engage in some discussions outside of SU or, at the very least, put feelers out there regarding the new coach. Quoting what Wildhack said back in the summer is naive at best and shouldn't be counted as gospel. I imagine he would do his due diligence to get his guy and find the best candidate. This may remain Hopkins which we all hope ends up like a Jimbo Fisher transition

But, to completely dismiss this as a realistic possibility is just asinine to me. A contract, verbal or written, can be broken buyout or no buyout. Everyday business works like this. I don't know also why people think the Chancellor is such a supreme player in this scenario. Chancellors everywhere are controlled by the ADs, politicians, BoTs, organized crime, etc. They are told what to do.
Got it. I don't think it's impossible but I don't think it's likely or will happen. I actually thinks it's more likely Boeheim would stay a year or two longer than someone besides Hopkins would come next.

SoBeCuse I'm curious if you saw what I wrote maybe a half dozen pages back about the SU booster telling a guy I know that Hop is not the replacement. I don't think you commented on it and I was surprised you didn't.

I did notice that. Was intriguing for sure. I'm on dangerous ground here already so figured I should just lay low and keep mute.

I did notice that. Was intriguing for sure. I'm on dangerous ground here already so figured I should just lay low and keep mute.
Not trying to get you into trouble, but why would you be on dangerous ground? You haven't said anything controversial. SMH. I understand some people around here love Hop (as do I), but you haven't said anything incendiary.

I love Hop but I'm of the belief that we need to create a totally new era of SU Hoops, knowing full well that there will be some huge growing pains. The Hop era will (would?) have its share of issues early on no matter what too. Hop should've taken another job and then come back after some success. We are setting him up for failure the way this is heading. I think he will wind up being the coach. Guess I have no choice but to be cautiously optimistic.

Lay low and stay mute.
Not trying to get you into trouble, but why would you be on dangerous ground? You haven't said anything controversial. SMH. I understand some people around here love Hop (as do I), but you haven't said anything incendiary.

I love Hop but I'm of the belief that we need to create a totally new era of SU Hoops, knowing full well that there will be some huge growing pains. The Hop era will (would?) have its share of issues early on no matter what too. Hop should've taken another job and then come back after some success. We are setting him up for failure the way this is heading. I think he will wind up being the coach. Guess I have no choice but to be cautiously optimistic.
my favorite part was the stay mute and lay low. I mean honestly sobecuse. I laughed out loud when I read that. Just when I think this thread can't get better.

I echo all of this. I truly hope if/when he is the coach that drastic changes from everything to do with scheme to recruiting are implemented, otherwise, a new/fresh era is what I also hope to see.

is that range that has the camelback shape
No. Just to the north and west of Camelback. And then I am at the Northern edge of the mountain range. If you know highway 51 it is the mountains along both sides of the highway near Northern.

I echo all of this. I truly hope if/when he is the coach that drastic changes from everything to do with scheme to recruiting are implemented, otherwise, a new/fresh era is what I also hope to see.
I disagree regarding drastic changes. I guess it depends what you consider drastic. I would like to play some m2m while still leaving the zone as our primary defense. I would like to focus on getting out in transition more and running a better continuity offense. I would also like to recruit more kids who can score and are athletic and teach them the zone than the other way around. I feel it will be easier to get an athletic kid to play the zone than teaching a less skilled shooter/mover who has a longer frame to score. I don't consider that drastic though. More tweaks.

Did you see Bud's column today? He disagrees with your assessment.

Syracuse basketball isn't in 6-week swoon; it's more like 3-year downward spiral

I would give that column much more credence if it was written by Mike or Donna.

Bud is a weathervane.

College ball in GENERAL is all over the place the past few years.

This may be the year we finally get a 16 beating a 1 seed, though truth be told it ought to have happened decades ago. Princeton should have beaten Georgetown in 84 or 85 or whatever. The refs cooked the books for JT & GT as much as they do for Dook and Kentucky and Kansas et al. (But seldom if ever SU and the whiner JB)

I remember that game vividly. I am almost positive I was in Palm Beach at my Great Aunt Aggie's apartment and we were watching and she probably heard some very unladylike words from me because I was PISSED!!!

And though she herself was a lady, she was also from Brooklyn and a Dodgers fan like everyone in our family I think but her sister my grandma who stayed true to the Pirates, her team from childhood, so she understood sports fanaticism and let the bad words pass without too much fussing.

My mom disliked sports but at the occasional Mets games she went to, they were probably mostly against the Pirates and she rooted lustily for them like her mom did, and embarrassed me, because I was too young to understand that kind of loyalty like I do now.

He can watch Jimmy and Buddy play while he is coaching them at SU.
I don't know if either would get past the walk on stage at SU and maybe both want more from their careers in college and beyond.

Besides, if they go to the same school, two years apart, and one that's a nice fit for their sister, maybe JB gets to informally coach them ALL and their teammates too.

Wouldn't THAT be a boon for a good D-3 school?

Nobody "thought" that Hopkins was out, people just raised the possibility that change might occur due to a new AD being in place. Same as what is happening now.

Contracts are made to be broken. Again, I am NOT suggesting that Wildhack will go in a different direction. But if he hypothetically elects to, Hopkins having a contract negotiated before he was AD wouldn't prevent him from doing so.

The chancellor being behind him would be far more weighty and significant than a contract.
The only way that Hop will not be our next men's BB coach is if he dies, is gravely injured or has a similar family tragedy or basically has something akin to what happened to BF happen; i.e. either commit or be accused of a major felony or even misdemeanor, depending on what it is.

Or if a certain someone blows up the world first.

"I think there's a sizeable penalty " you don't know. and if jimbo fisher was due 5 million then mike hopkins is closer to 100k.
and that estimate is due solely to the vast gap between the programs and the coaches you choose to reference.

So you haven't seen the contract either? You don't know that I'm wrong. I haven't seen the contract, because Syracuse is a private university that is not required to disclose their contracts. I've heard from a great source it's enough to deter the school from not honoring the deal. Again, you're being very naive here. Syracuse is one of the most profitable basketball programs in the country, but they are not going to throw money away for no reason.

Last edited:

If Hopkins failed someplace else, which would be easy to do at a St. Bonaventure, he probably wouldn't be hired back at Syracuse. From what I understand, JB advised him to stay.

If Hopkins failed someplace else, which would be easy to do at a St. Bonaventure, he probably wouldn't be hired back at Syracuse. From what I understand, JB advised him to stay.

He was also offered the USC job.

You're not being scolded, but rather being set straight. You had no idea there was a contract in place, which is ridiculous. Obviously, there is. There was never a verbal contract or promise. And contracts are not broken everyday without consequence. There are penalties in place for a reason. That's the whole point of a contract. There is a very large buyout in this case. AD's report to Chancellors and BOT's. They don't run them. See Daryl Gross, who didn't run Syracuse. It's not just the AD's job to select a coach. Gross had to put together a committee to find the football coach. So, as you can see, it's not just the AD's decision, especially in this case, where not honoring the contract would harm the university's reputation and monetarily.

The due diligence has been done. Hopkins is taking over, like it or not. Everyone at Syracuse says so.

Last edited:
LOL. We both know that there are not many examples of schools having HCIW designated years in advance, so conveniently not much precedent to compare things to. Which is why you chose to qualify things that way.

Precisely because there are countless examples of new ADs hiring new coaches in revenue sports once they take over.

Just as there are numerous examples of professional sports GMs bringing in new coaches as soon as they get their fingers on the controls--contracts be damned in both cases.

New ADs only go with the flow when the programs they take oversight responsibility for are functioning at a high level, and don't require intervention.

Do you disagree?

I qualify things this way because that's the reality. A new AD isn't coming in to change things up, especially when the basketball coach, chancellor and BOT have a plan in place. It just doesnt happen. Syracuse will give the reigns to Hopkins because he's earned it, has been loyal and they think he's the right person for the job. What has changed, except the new AD that has publicly stated (as he should) that's he's completely on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom