Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
find a quiet little D1 town with nice weather and an easy schedule and just pile up some more W's.
That's what I'm saying. A little retirement project. He is still very vital and capable.

He's not getting just 1 year.

OK, for argument's sake, let's say Mike takes over and goes 8-23. Does he get invited back?
Of course his contract will be for several years. I'm saying how long will he keep his job if he can't produce wins? If this year we are sub-.500 and JB comes back and we are poor again, then how long does Mike get? I think he has to be a .500 coach year 1 and a 20 win coach year 2.

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying. A little retirement project. He is still very vital and capable.
I take it you've never really paid attention to the man and his actions at all...

OK, for argument's sake, let's say Mike takes over and goes 8-23. Does he get invited back?
Of course his contract will be for several years. I'm saying how long will he keep his job if he can't produce wins? If this year we are sub-.500 and JB comes back and we are poor again, then how long does Mike get? I think he has to be a .500 coach year 1 and a 20 win coach year 2.

Doesn't that depend on circumstances? It isn't just a question of what is his record. If he takes over next year with the roster that we currently project to have, would it be reasonable to expect much more than 8-10 wins? I almost think he has to be given 3 years so that you can see what he does with a legitimate roster of players. Now if JB somehow manages to bring in a bunch of guys for next season and the roster was good and the team went through another implosion or if he sleeps with Dean Wormer's wife then maybe you have an argument for cutting ties with him. But it has to be very fact/circumstances based, not just a matter of what is his record the first season out of the gate.

CousCuse said:
Why should Boeheim retire? He is not an "old" man in any real sense. This concocted idea of a preordained retirement date and succession with coach in waiting is a contrived scheme put in place by a previous AD. He should remain as long as he wants with no date .

You couldn't be more wrong. Concocted? Contrived?

He's still at the top, pop, so why's he gotta close up shop.
Because that's what he's decided to do. His kids will all be out of HS and he can buy a motor home and go watch all of them play college ball. Or he can move to FL and start over with a new program and watch other kids play college ball. Hmmm which one will he pick...?

You couldn't be more wrong. Concocted? Contrived?
Setting a date to retire is creating a lot of unintended consequences and stress. It's not the same as retiring as the president of a bank or the principal of a school. For one thing, he knows he doesn't have much more time to coach and it makes him more and more impatient and outright mean.

Here's my issue with Hop; while I respect him for, essentially, deferring his career and life basically to be second in command to JB, I question if a true "alpha dog" personality would or should have done this. I would prefer a natural leader type to lead a program. The guy is almost fifty years old and has yet to really begin his own career and legacy. All the while allowing JB to extend his own career, because no way does JB last this long without Hopkins as his support in the more "mundane" aspects of being a Div1 head coach...

Because that's what he's decided to do. His kids will all be out of HS and he can buy a motor home and go watch all of them play college ball. Or he can move to FL and start over with a new program and watch other kids play college ball. Hmmm which one will he pick...?
He can go antiquating or grow exotic orchids.

If Jim Boeheim is ever coach for any university besides Syracuse University, I'll eat my shorts. I think he loves this school and loves this town and it wouldn't be the same at another place for him. Plus the whole age thing. Just my opinion.

Doesn't that depend on circumstances? It isn't just a question of what is his record. If he takes over next year with the roster that we currently project to have, would it be reasonable to expect much more than 8-10 wins? I almost think he has to be given 3 years so that you can see what he does with a legitimate roster of players. Now if JB somehow manages to bring in a bunch of guys for next season and the roster was good and the team went through another implosion or if he sleeps with Dean Wormer's wife then maybe you have an argument for cutting ties with him. But it has to be very fact/circumstances based, not just a matter of what is his record the first season out of the gate.

I'm not looking to Gerg the basketball team. It's the athletic department's primary source of revenue.

Here's my issue with Hop; while I respect him for, essentially, deferring his career and life basically to be second in command to JB, I question if a true "alpha dog" personality would or should have done this. I would prefer a natural leader type to lead a program. The guy is almost fifty years old and has yet to really begin his own career and legacy. All the while allowing JB to extend his own career, because no way does JB last this long without Hopkins as his support in the more "mundane" aspects of being a Div1 head coach...

Understand your concerns about Hop from a coaching standpoint, but in my personal interactions with him in my life at the Orange basketball camp and just around town he certainly has an Alpha Dog personality. He is very much a leader. That's not going to be a problem.

Last edited:
You have facts to back up this claim?

Why do you think it's just a verbal promise? Of course Hopkins has a contract, and there would be a penalty for not honoring the contract. I think in Jimbo Fischer's case, he was to receive $5 million if he was not the head coach by a certain date. These things are not just verbal promises.

what ? coaches with contracts (written or verbal ) don't get replaced ? news to me. NEXT !

Last edited:
I could be wrong about this and it's just my opinion but it's kind of ironic that the NCAA did an investigation and now people are acting like it is what is making Boeheim retire. I feel like he would have retired 2-3 years ago if there was no investigation.

I could be wrong about this and it's just my opinion but it's kind of ironic that the NCAA did an investigation and now people are acting like it is what is making Boeheim retire. I feel like he would have retired 2-3 years ago if there was no investigation.
That's quite possible. I remember JB saying something to the effect that he would not have walked away while the program was under the cloud of investigation, and that once it had concluded, he wanted to leave a program in good shape for his successor.

Posting this because a lot of posters believe it's not set in stone, but it is. It's not even worth debating.

Have the non Hopkins people thought of all the negatives associated with reneging on this deal? If so, what are they?

People in the know have suggested he will be much more open to change than Boeheim. I almost wish Boeheim would hand it over to Hop now, but he's probably afraid the losing will negatively impact Mike? He's been pretty instrumental in bringing in a lot of our talent over the past 15 years, it wasn't just Murphy and Weaver.

I'm not sold he's going to be as successful as Boeheim on the court, but I am rooting for him and everyone else should be here too, because that will be good for Syracuse if he succeeds.

Of course, that's the plan. Not sure why anyone is questioning this. This has been the plan since 2007. There has been a change in chancellor and 3 different AD's and the plan hasn't changed.

Of course, that's the plan. Not sure why anyone is questioning this. This has been the plan since 2007. There has been a change in chancellor and 3 different AD's and the plan hasn't changed.

I am questioning it. A plan is just a plan. I love how a couple of you take this as gospel. You mean to tell me that Wildhack isn't going to explore other options or send some feelers out there?! Impossible, IMO.

It's a done deal and people are wasting their time even thinking it's not going to happen. Hop is the next coach!

br801 said:
That's quite possible. I remember JB saying something to the effect that he would not have walked away while the program was under the cloud of investigation, and that once it had concluded, he wanted to leave a program in good shape for his successor.

He did say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors