My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Any win on the road in the BE is a good one and this was no exception.

We are not a good offensive team this season, not against good defenses, so expecting them to score 75 or 80 in conference play consistently is not prudent.

Really disappointed with the defense early. We looked flat and lethargic. Good to see this team beginning to put together long stretches of sustained excellence now...like the team last year did routinely, when it seemed we had a 20-1 run once or twice most every game.

MCW looks like he has absolutely no confidence shooting the ball right now. Short arming even the shortest of jumpers. Not a great time to become a head case. Not passing the ball nearly as well as he did earlier either. That one 2 on 1 he and Brandon had where BT was open for a layup and MCW held the ball all the way and almost got it stolen by Collins was especially perplexing...why not give it up to the best FT shooter and most reliable player on the court (today anyway)? Especially when MCW can't even reliably knock down FTs anymore.

Anyway, after some bad play early not fighting through screens (a lot of the early 3s were on him), Michael played much better defense and he rebounded well today too. Looked like Heath tried hard to avoid playing Collins the little PG for USF optimistically listed at 6'1 on the USF roster, against MCW, worried he would post him up. Good call on his part, though BT posted him up a few times instead.

Speaking of BT, he has put together two excellent games to start the BE season. He is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Let's hope it continues.

We were getting hurt inside and out early. A lot of the inside damage was limited once Keita came in for DC2. He did a nice job settling things down in the paint, as did Christmas when Keita got in foul trouble.

James can disappear in games like this against a physical team playing good man defense but he has expanded his game and now continues with good defense (primary area and weak side help), rebounding, passing, and his ability to make the mid range jumper and finish on the break is nice too. He has come a long way during his career. Really good to see him hit that one long 3 around the 3 minute mark that really extended the lead and changed the nature of the game after USF had gotten within hailing frequency.

CJ had a nice game. The block was a big play, his aggressive attacking of the rim in the 1st half was a key in the dramatic comeback. He, like so many on this team, really looks reluctant to shoot at crunch time. Last year Dion and Scoop were always good about shouldering the load and trying to make plays down the stretch. I thought MCW was going to be the guy but after the Temple disaster, he looks really hesitant about taking control late now.

We are essentially playing 6 guys on the road now. I really believe that if Keita, who started the 2nd half, had not gotten in foul trouble, that we would have played the other guys all 20 minutes of the half.

Not a good situation. I understand the reasons DC2, Trevor and Grant are not playing but they aren't going to get better on the bench. One suggestion: JB tends to substitute so that Trevor and Grant get on the court together most of the time. That is not a good idea as both are currently what I will call 'offensively challenged'.

Again, my biggest concern over this team is whether we can rebound enough with a front line of JS, CJ and BMK or RC at center to win against good teams. I think we can get away with playing two small forwards with a good rebounding center or a small forward, a legit PF and an average rebounding center but when we play JS, CJ and BMK/RC together, defensive rebounds are really hard to get. We often play solid defense but give up an offensive rebound and a score anyway.

Really nice turnout by the SU fans of the Tampa area. Sounded like we had more fans than they did.

I really dislike Bob Wenzel. He just doesn't know much about basketball, repeats his 3 or 4 speaking points endlessly and always roots openly for the underdog team. You can tell he is a Rutgers grad. One of the best things about the move to the ACC is that there is a reasonable chance we will never have to hear that dimwit call a call against Syracuse in the future.

I can't wait to see what happens when USF plays Georgetown this season. That one is going to be a real thriller. I think 30 points might be enough to win it.

"Really disappointed with the defense early."

the wings are just way too high and the baseline is left basically unguarded. i saw one shot where fair had both feet beyond the 3 point line! teams are going to watch and exploit this and thus keita's fouls.

JB doesn't want to play the young guys on the road. Probably because he knows they won't do well.

the wings are just way too high and the baseline is left basically unguarded.

I think part if that is sceme (JB has gone this way more and more over the years) and part of it is that both CJ and James play extremely high even when its not necessary . . . . perhaps something they picked up from KrisJo who was the first SU forward I remember hanging out up so high without actually defending someone from the other team.

I can't wait to see what happens when USF plays Georgetown this season. That one is going to be a real thriller. I think 30 points might be enough to win it.

It might actually be 30 points COMBINED. Lol

They will both be happy to be playing their style, LMAO.

We are not a good offensive team this season, not against good defenses, so expecting them to score 75 or 80 in conference play consistently is not prudent.

Really disappointed with the defense early. We looked flat and lethargic. Good to see this team beginning to put together long stretches of sustained excellence now...like the team last year did routinely, when it seemed we had a 20-1 run once or twice most every game.

MCW looks like he has absolutely no confidence shooting the ball right now. Short arming even the shortest of jumpers. Not a great time to become a head case. Not passing the ball nearly as well as he did earlier either. That one 2 on 1 he and Brandon had where BT was open for a layup and MCW held the ball all the way and almost got it stolen by Collins was especially perplexing...why not give it up to the best FT shooter and most reliable player on the court (today anyway)? Especially when MCW can't even reliably knock down FTs anymore.

Anyway, after some bad play early not fighting through screens (a lot of the early 3s were on him), Michael played much better defense and he rebounded well today too. Looked like Heath tried hard to avoid playing Collins the little PG for USF optimistically listed at 6'1 on the USF roster, against MCW, worried he would post him up. Good call on his part, though BT posted him up a few times instead.

Speaking of BT, he has put together two excellent games to start the BE season. He is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Let's hope it continues.

We were getting hurt inside and out early. A lot of the inside damage was limited once Keita came in for DC2. He did a nice job settling things down in the paint, as did Christmas when Keita got in foul trouble.

James can disappear in games like this against a physical team playing good man defense but he has expanded his game and now continues with good defense (primary area and weak side help), rebounding, passing, and his ability to make the mid range jumper and finish on the break is nice too. He has come a long way during his career. Really good to see him hit that one long 3 around the 3 minute mark that really extended the lead and changed the nature of the game after USF had gotten within hailing frequency.

CJ had a nice game. The block was a big play, his aggressive attacking of the rim in the 1st half was a key in the dramatic comeback. He, like so many on this team, really looks reluctant to shoot at crunch time. Last year Dion and Scoop were always good about shouldering the load and trying to make plays down the stretch. I thought MCW was going to be the guy but after the Temple disaster, he looks really hesitant about taking control late now.

We are essentially playing 6 guys on the road now. I really believe that if Keita, who started the 2nd half, had not gotten in foul trouble, that we would have played the other guys all 20 minutes of the half.

Not a good situation. I understand the reasons DC2, Trevor and Grant are not playing but they aren't going to get better on the bench. One suggestion: JB tends to substitute so that Trevor and Grant get on the court together most of the time. That is not a good idea as both are currently what I will call 'offensively challenged'.

Again, my biggest concern over this team is whether we can rebound enough with a front line of JS, CJ and BMK or RC at center to win against good teams. I think we can get away with playing two small forwards with a good rebounding center or a small forward, a legit PF and an average rebounding center but when we play JS, CJ and BMK/RC together, defensive rebounds are really hard to get. We often play solid defense but give up an offensive rebound and a score anyway.

Really nice turnout by the SU fans of the Tampa area. Sounded like we had more fans than they did.

I really dislike Bob Wenzel. He just doesn't know much about basketball, repeats his 3 or 4 speaking points endlessly and always roots openly for the underdog team. You can tell he is a Rutgers grad. One of the best things about the move to the ACC is that there is a reasonable chance we will never have to hear that dimwit call a call against Syracuse in the future.

I don't know the exact numbers, but my family and I were at the game and it had to be a ratio of at least 3 or 4 SU fans to there 1. If the student section wasn't there that number would have rose to 8 to 1. If we weren't leaving the Big East you could count the Sundome as another home game.

One thing I noticed in the Sundome is that they have already taken down the SU and Pittsburgh banners from the rafters and replaced us with Temple, Houston, etc. No respect.

The game was a grinder. MCW really having alot of trouble finishing at the hoop as well. I think SUTOMCAT summed the game up well; as always. Thanks as always.

We dominated the glass today largely because MCW's numbers went up and without a drop off by our forwards and bigs.

generally fair points. and yes, the offense needs to be better. but this was still a gritty road win over a tough team in which we were down big early. remember, there were a few games like that last year and in '10, too.

Wondered about the comment that we are "essentially playing 6 guys".

DC2 and Cooney got cameo appearances, but Grant played 8 minutes, and most of that (maybe all?) was in the first half run. 8 minutes isn't bad, and it helped to assure Southerland would not pick up his third foul.

Of course, JB is going to go with his best in the second halves of tight Big East games, absent very serious foul trouble.

I think part if that is sceme (JB has gone this way more and more over the years) and part of it is that both CJ and James play extremely high even when its not necessary . . . . perhaps something they picked up from KrisJo who was the first SU forward I remember hanging out up so high without actually defending someone from the other team.

It is a change or new option in the zone designed to take away the 3. It leaves the man in the middle on an island but it is better than giving up 3s to a team with no real big man. They made 6 3s for the game 4 of them were in the first 5 minutes before JB extended the zone. We were down 8 and won by 11

the wings are just way too high and the baseline is left basically unguarded. i saw one shot where fair had both feet beyond the 3 point line! teams are going to watch and exploit this and thus keita's fouls.

that is part of the scheme. this also relies heavily on communication, and defensive rotation. another reason why JB doesn't get as much credit as deserved, and is more complex then man to man. it forces the offense to make a couple real good plays in order to get a good look.

this is a pretty good USF team, and to win by 10 on the road you can't ask for much more. JB doesn't mind if they hit a few early 3's, bc they aren't going to fall all game.

i dunno about that. lob pass to the baseline puts you point blank with mr. rim.

DC2 was awful again in his 5 minutes. I'm shocked at how bad he is. He has no idea on the defensive end. Constantly out of position leaving the middle wide open for penetrating drives and lob passes. He still doesn't know where he is supposed to be in the zone or maybe he's just too slow to get there. Offensively he doesn't finish point blank bunnies at the rim. JB just can't keep him out there unless he makes dramatic improvement. The flaws in MCW's game are becoming apparent. He can get to the rim at will but consistently fails to finish. He has no consistent outside shot. Both are glaring weaknesses that NBA scouts have to take note of. The silver lining is maybe will be back next year and develop into a great player. The raw talent is there. He just needs to get consistent and put it together. I hope it's at SU and not sitting on some NBA bench.

I don't know the exact numbers, but my family and I were at the game and it had to be a ratio of at least 3 or 4 SU fans to there 1. If the student section wasn't there that number would have rose to 8 to 1. If we weren't leaving the Big East you could count the Sundome as another home game.

One thing I noticed in the Sundome is that they have already taken down the SU and Pittsburgh banners from the rafters and replaced us with Temple, Houston, etc. No respect.

The game was a grinder. MCW really having alot of trouble finishing at the hoop as well. I think SUTOMCAT summed the game up well; as always. Thanks as always.
They should probably take down the Catholic 7 banners as well. Thinking about it, it may be wise on their part to not invest in any "new" banners until they know who's in and who's out.

i dunno about that. lob pass to the baseline puts you point blank with mr. rim.

It does but most guy's aren't good at throwing a 30 lob pass in the half court it is harder than people think and its two point or a turnover usually.

It is a change or new option in the zone designed to take away the 3. It leaves the man in the middle on an island but it is better than giving up 3s to a team with no real big man. They made 6 3s for the game 4 of them were in the first 5 minutes before JB extended the zone. We were down 8 and won by 11
Also, with Jamse and CJ and even Grant, they forwards are quick and seem to close out on corner three's pretty good. USF got a couple of googd looks but not many.
that is part of the scheme. this also relies heavily on communication, and defensive rotation. another reason why JB doesn't get as much credit as deserved, and is more complex then man to man. it forces the offense to make a couple real good plays in order to get a good look.

this is a pretty good USF team, and to win by 10 on the road you can't ask for much more. JB doesn't mind if they hit a few early 3's, bc they aren't going to fall all game.
Also have seen Xmas tip a couple of corner three's when he closed out and blocks by CJ and Southerland on what the opponets thought were going to be easy baskets from an empty lane.

DC2 was awful again in his 5 minutes. I'm shocked at how bad he is. He has no idea on the defensive end. Constantly out of position leaving the middle wide open for penetrating drives and lob passes. He still doesn't know where he is supposed to be in the zone or maybe he's just too slow to get there. Offensively he doesn't finish point blank bunnies at the rim. JB just can't keep him out there unless he makes dramatic improvement. The flaws in MCW's game are becoming apparent. He can get to the rim at will but consistently fails to finish. He has no consistent outside shot. Both are glaring weaknesses that NBA scouts have to take note of. The silver lining is maybe will be back next year and develop into a great player. The raw talent is there. He just needs to get consistent and put it together. I hope it's at SU and not sitting on some NBA bench.

He averages 10 assits a game, is one of the best rebounding guards in the country, and the best defensive guard in the country. how many pg's at either level are great scorers? your basically criticizing because he isn't Deron Williams. The kid is one of the 10 best players in the country, and is absolutely fine. relax

USF not bad. They have 4 upperclassmen starting that are back from a Sweet 16 team. This was a solid win. You have to feel for USF in hearing about the truckloads of money they have dumped into their athletic program to compete in the Big East , which then promptly disintegrates all around them.

It seems we do more rotating in the zone than we ever have before. We have always slid and still do but when Coleman sits and we extend the weakside forward rotates up top the weakside guard sort of plays the FT circle while the strong side guard and forward try to trap from the FT line extended all the way to the corner. Then when the ball swings and goes oposite corner the the center covers that and everyone else rotates again. So much more movement than I ever remember before and when its working teams basically do nothing against us if they don't snag an offensive rebound.

As far as USF they will be tough at home all season in league play. Its a great first road win in conferencde play IMO.

Brandon is clearly emerging as the team leader ... and the heart and soul of the team. He is not as demonstrative as Scoop was last year... but he leads by his constant workmanlike performance. I am sorry that so many fans under-rate him. Enjoy him while he is here for another few months.

I was there today and it looked about 60-40 for SU in the crowd if you counted the Orange shirts. I think about 30% of the SU people were wearing blue so make it about 70% - 30%. By judging the USF peoples' reaction, this is the only time this sort of thing happens, but they are kinda of used to it happening with SU now.

As far as the offense, We are going to have to feed the post once in awhile so we it can be perceived as a threat or we can work it inside out. We need Christmas or Coleman in there for that. In the second half, Christmas worked hard for position a few times, but our guards would not feed him.

If we develop some offense in the post, or at least try, it might free up some operating room for a perimeter guys, who have guys right up in their jock all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom