My Take | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

You make an excellent points. One must then conclude that we are so fortunate there are so few "smartly coached" teams
That would be correct. College basketball is regressing every year. The types of teams that can expose us are typically waiting for us in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAAs.

What I described is a problem. It just hasn't been exploited as much as the other issues - yet.

But you are not pointing out a problem. You are pointing out how teams attack our defense. That is not a problem that is how the game is played. There is not a defense that cannot attacked. We are going to try and take away what they do best and they are going to try and do the same to us. So you see a pattern in how we are being attacked good for you, if they aren't winning or making a run then fine. If we was giving up a ton a easy shots then that's a problem. If we are giving up contested corner 3s big deal. It's basketball you are going to give up something. If a guy gets hot JB will and had adjust the defense. But complain/comment on the defense after that game is expressing a bias to the defense. We dominated the rebounding battle, which the biggest weakness of the zone and you are complaining?

corner 3 is the best shot in the NBA; but correct me if I'm wrong; the college line is 20 foot 9 all the way across, right?

corner 3 is the best shot in the NBA; but correct me if I'm wrong; the college line is 20 foot 9 all the way across, right?

Yes you are right I believe. The second or third best shooter on a college team is not a NBA shooter and in the NBA the shot is off of drive and kick which shouldn't be able to be run against the 2-3 because the wing forward is in position to steal the pass. Against us teams are over loading the zone with two shooters and the wing forward should tag the better shooter so if the guy in the corner is the better shooter the forward sags to the corner if the guy on the wing is the better shooter the forward comes up and the center closes out to the corner with the opposite forward replacing the center and the guard comes down to rebound when the shot goes up. MCW got a ton of rebounds from this and to started the break we did a very poor job on the break but crashed the boards and scored most times anyway. It was a winning strategy.

Pitino doesn't agree with you - it doesn't appear that you even realized that this was his scheme until I brought it up.

but in any case, you are using the wrong metaphor -
it's not "overpursuit:" they aren't over-running the play. they are in fact running to the correct spot, but the goal of that offensive scheme is to create more spots on one side of the floor than there are defenders to cover them. it only works if (a) there is quick and crisp passing on the offensive side and (b) the rotations are slow and/or unrecognized on the defensive side.

I knew you would end up changing the topic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom