My Take | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Pitino and I would disagree.
Pitino doesn't agree with you - it doesn't appear that you even realized that this was his scheme until I brought it up.

but in any case, you are using the wrong metaphor -
it's not "overpursuit:" they aren't over-running the play. they are in fact running to the correct spot, but the goal of that offensive scheme is to create more spots on one side of the floor than there are defenders to cover them. it only works if (a) there is quick and crisp passing on the offensive side and (b) the rotations are slow and/or unrecognized on the defensive side.

We took 23 more shots then south florida and we were about even in foul shots.
Beating them in offensive borads 19-6 and forcing them to 6 more turnovers. Thats pretty darn good considering we only shot 36% from the field.

This team can beat you in many different ways statistically any given night,more so then some of our better teams of the past. We have been tops in alot of stats all year and we do something good different every game. I just hope we always find a way to expose someone with something. Its funny how syracuse finds that one game in march where they can't. Its mind boggling

First BE road game of the season not to worried about it though. Although you should use every game as a teaching guide to play the best as getting players ready to play the better teams is better then getting a W.
Its usually a slow paced grind game down at south florida. Off topic but I wonder how hot it was in that arena. It looked like it was blistering hot and humid in there. Man those rims were tight.

Go back and look at the Rutgers boxscore though.
We outscored them by 25,
We forced them to 11 more turnovers then us with 7 more steals,
We blocked 6 more shots then them shutting down the inside,
We had 6 more assists then them with 20 total,
We shot 10 more ft then them while drawing 6 more fouls,
We outshot them 46% to 36.5 from the field and 41% to 33.3 from three.
And we pushed with them on rebounds.
They beat us in nothing had they not shot 7-8 from the ft line and we still shot 72.2% that night not bad.

the goal of that offensive scheme is to create more spots on one side of the floor than there are defenders to cover them. it only works if (a) there is quick and crisp passing on the offensive side and (b) the rotations are slow and/or unrecognized on the defensive side.

Right now the wings are so lazy to drop back after the guard has recovered that any jacka$$ could find the open man in the corner.

The game at South Florida was very similar to the game we played at home against South Florida last year, and similar to how we played against them in 09. They will not let us speed up the pace. If you go back to albanycuse's thread before the game I specifically remember him, myself and a few others saying it was going to be a slugfest and that we have had a hard time getting out of the 50s against them. That was a good win on Sunday. I know it is early, but Kenpom has us as the number one defensive team in the country right now. What we have lost in blocked shots we have gained in rebounding. I also think Brandon and mcw play defense through the entire possession, whereas scoop and dion tended to leak out on the break. As important as scoop was last year, there is no doubt he was the worst defender out of him, Brandon, and dion last year.

Right now the wings are so lazy to drop back after the guard has recovered that any jacka$$ could find the open man in the corner.

Hmmmm how come we are such a good defensive team then?

We lost to the only semi-decent team we've played so far because of stuffty defensive rebounding.

Yes we ourtrebounded them on defense and offense by one that is clearly the main reason we lost.
going 19-34 from the line while they went 29-36 was much more trivial.

I will agree 16 offensive boards is alot for them though. Especially in only 59 attempts.
But we also must of fumbled around 5-8 rebounds out of bounce. Not sure if they counted as turnovers on us or rebounds for them.

We lost to the only semi-decent team we've played so far because of stuffty defensive rebounding.

Right and the 100 FT's we missed had nothing to do with it

Right and the 100 FT's we missed had nothing to do with it

FTs had something to do with it, but it's not like the team shoots a high FT % on a per-game basis. What are you reaching for here?

I don't care what the stats say, if you saw the game in person - SU was abused on the glass and allowed Temple to score with regularity, even if it took them 2 or 3 chances per possession. There will always be a stat in the ledger to defend any person's argument so congratulations on finding one that suits your agenda.

FTs had something to do with it, but it's not like the team shoots a high FT % on a per-game basis. What are you reaching for here?

I don't care what the stats say, if you saw the game in person - SU was abused on the glass and allowed Temple to score with regularity, even if it took them 2 or 3 chances per possession. There will always be a stat in the ledger to defend any person's argument so congratulations on finding one that suits your agenda.

And your argument doesnt do that as well? Right. Must be nice trying to consistently convince yourself that you are right all the time.

And your argument doesnt do that as well? Right. Must be nice trying to consistently convince yourself that you are right all the time.

The original discussion was about poor awareness and communication in the zone -- I'm not whoring it up with stats to try to prove a point. I could care less about convincing anyone of anything, but I find it amusing that I have become larger than life. I would like to see an experiment where usernames are switched out for aliases - people would actually have to read the post and not predetermine what they are going to say.

The original discussion was about poor awareness and communication in the zone -- I'm not whoring it up with stats to try to prove a point. I could care less about convincing anyone of anything, but I find it amusing that I have become larger than life. I would like to see an experiment where usernames are switched out for aliases - people would actually have to read the post and not predetermine what they are going to say.

I wouldnt go that far.

Dude I read every one of your posts. Sometimes you actually make sense. The constant negativity and pointing out every little problem and not giving an inch of joy gets old.

I don't know about "larger than life" , I think the biggest turd always rises to the top fits you better. Anyway, for having "poor awareness and communication in the zone" we have the defense that yields the least amount of points per possession in the country. But you don't want to hear about stats.

I don't know about "larger than life" , I think the biggest turd always rises to the top fits you better. Anyway, for having "poor awareness and communication in the zone" we have the defense that yields the least amount of points in the country. But you don't want to hear about stats.

We're not giving up points to bad teams. Thanks for the insight.

I don't know about "larger than life" , I think the biggest turd always rises to the top fits you better. Anyway, for having "poor awareness and communication in the zone" we have the defense that yields the least amount of points in the country. But you don't want to hear about stats.

He lacks the ability to understand the zone, but yet he thinks he has the ability it criticize it. When you criticize the zone giving up a corner 3 to the opposing teams B or C shooter than you clearly don't understand the basic concepts of the defense. BlueCurtain like several other posters think that a good defense does not giving up a shot at all. That is not good defense that is a pipe dream! He is also ignorant enough to think that how we defend one team is indication on how we will defend another team, which again proves his basic lack of understanding the concept.

I think this is the type of post where whatever point you were trying to make, which I was on board with in part, gets lost and you just become the anti-fan (or seem that way).

I think this is the type of post where whatever point you were trying to make, which I was on board with in part, gets lost and you just become the anti-fan (or seem that way).

Maybe I should join the likes of Musberger and issue a formal apology for being candid. After all, nobody here has ever used sarcasm or hyperbole to speak their mind.

Maybe I should join the likes of Musberger and issue a formal apology for being candid. After all, nobody here has ever used sarcasm or hyperbole to speak their mind.

No, all you need to do is make sure you use the sarcasm font in the future.

Or don't lash out when someone reacts negatively to your thoughts.

We're not giving up points to bad teams. Thanks for the insight.
SU is 6-1 vs. teams in the Pomeroy top 100. Providence tonight will be the 8th game against a top 100 squad - half the schedule, so your "bad teams" line doesn't wash. SU has given up less than 60 points to four of those opponents, less than 50 to two of them.

In the Temple game, we held the Owls to 33% from three and to 43% from two - both very good percentages, and usually good enough to win when you score 79 points. The problem was that the Orange committed too many fouls and allowed Temple to score 29 points at the line.

Now, if those fouls were coming on the perimeter from wings who were, in your conception, uncommunicative and lazy in their rotations, then you might have a point. But the fact is that most of the fouls came on the interior.

The defense has been excellent this year, but that is the one spot where there has been an occasional problem - too many easy entries, whether by pass or by drive, and too many fouls when the ball gets inside. Pitt and Notre Dame could each go to the line 40 times if the problem doesn't get fixed by then.

Now, if those fouls were coming on the perimeter from wings who were, in your conception, uncommunicative and lazy in their rotations, then you might have a point. But the fact is that most of the fouls came on the interior.

The defense has been excellent this year, but that is the one spot where there has been an occasional problem - too many easy entries, whether by pass or by drive, and too many fouls when the ball gets inside. Pitt and Notre Dame could each go to the line 40 times if the problem doesn't get fixed by then.

What I described is a problem. It just hasn't been exploited as much as the other issues - yet.

What I described is a problem. It just hasn't been exploited as much as the other issues - yet.
so, you are staking out the "stopped clock" position . . . you will be right, sooner or later!

A smartly coached team will be instructed to pump fake when the center comes flying out to the wing. Then they can either draw the foul or drive uncontested to the hoop. Either way, once the wing over-commits, they are one-step behind. It's like a house cat trying to catch a laser pointer.

I'm not sure if it's an ill-conceived coaching strategy in an attempt to trade 3s for 2s, or not holding the wings accountable for over-pursuit.

You make an excellent points. One must then conclude that we are so fortunate there are so few "smartly coached" teams, considering JB is:

105-17 in the last four years. 46-10 in the BE.

Considering he's won 24 of the last 25 BE games, I'd argue coaching at the BE-level must be worse than at any league, any level or any sport, at any point in history!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom