Naes Howard | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Naes Howard

Terrifying, the guy lost it.
----

The friend said Winfield then stepped in front of Howard to keep him away from Scissum, who recently had surgery and was not in a position to defend himself.

"Chauncey couldn't hit him at all," the friend said. "Chauncey had one arm.

"At the end of the day, if there is a big savior in this whole situation, it's Corey Winfield. He put his life on the line for his best friend."

They talked about this on the local sports radio for SLC, UT for whatever that's worth. I wasn't thrilled.

Nothing like a story of wasted talent and opportunity to start the day.

Terrifying, the guy lost it.
----

The friend said Winfield then stepped in front of Howard to keep him away from Scissum, who recently had surgery and was not in a position to defend himself.

"Chauncey couldn't hit him at all," the friend said. "Chauncey had one arm.

"At the end of the day, if there is a big savior in this whole situation, it's Corey Winfield. He put his life on the line for his best friend."

Wow that's just scary. Howard obviously has serious issues

Terrifying. And it clearly shows that this was NOT a situation where the stabbed players were engaged in doing anything wrong, being where they weren't supposed to be, etc.

I wonder if Howard is mentally ill. That article makes it sound like that could be the case.

Terrifying. And it clearly shows that this was NOT a situation where the stabbed players were engaged in doing anything wrong, being where they weren't supposed to be, etc.

I wonder if Howard is mentally ill. That article makes it sound like that could be the case.

Good point. I forgot to add that to my comment that this shows Chauncey and Corey were doing absolutely nothing wrong. I know it's just one witness but I have a hard time believing anyone else will say anything THAT much different from this version.

Not to be mean, and certainly not to you, but I really don't care about Howard's mental health, why he did it, etc. I want that SOB gone, for a long, long, time.

Not to be mean, and certainly not to you, but I really don't care about Howard's mental health, why he did it, etc. I want that SOB gone, for a long, long, time.

No, I don't disagree. I'm just saying that there were a lot of semi-"blame" pointed at Winfield / Scissum these last few days, by those suggesting that they must have done something wrong, that they were on the wrong side of the tracks, etc.

That article makes it sound like a nut just started stabbing with no provocation. Like you said, he needs to be put away for a long, long time.

No, I don't disagree. I'm just saying that there were a lot of semi-"blame" pointed at Winfield / Scissum these last few days, by those suggesting that they must have done something wrong, that they were on the wrong side of the tracks, etc.

That article makes it sound like a nut just started stabbing with no provocation.
This is what I was wondering in my post yesterday. Did something escalate or did Howard just go nuts? And it seems like the latter.

This is what I was wondering in my post yesterday. Did something escalate or did Howard just go nuts? And it seems like the latter.
Boy, it seems like every time the program takes a chance on a kid who has had legal problems, it comes back to bite them.

I hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon.

Boy, it seems like every time the program takes a chance on a kid who has had legal problems, it comes back to bite them.

I hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon.
Let's hope Gabe Sherrod has learned from his experiences.

Let's hope Gabe Sherrod has learned from his experiences.
This feel like an unfair comment. I hope we are talking apples and oranges. 1 is a kid who can't get his crap together, the other seems to be a kid who wants to put the past behind him, had graduated college, looking to play on big stage. I suspect Gabe won't blow it.

This feel like an unfair comment. I hope we are talking apples and oranges. 1 is a kid who can't get his crap together, the other seems to be a kid who wants to put the past behind him, had graduated college, looking to play on big stage. I suspect Gabe won't blow it.
Tom said we keep having issues with players who had past legal problems. I was alluding to the fact that I hope Gabe Sherrod breaks that trend. What's so unfair about that?

the scary part to me is that article kind of goes along with the "he had a reason to do it". NOT that its justified, but I'm not very worried about the "why" he was in the rage. It would be much more settling if it were just an arguement that blew up - but something so bad happened that Naes literally may have gone to kill him. Why?

That article makes it sound like a nut just started stabbing with no provocation. Like you said, he needs to be put away for a long, long time.

wow - thats what you took from that article?!

I have no inside info, but i literally took the exact opposite. Do you really think that Naes just showed up to stab people for no reason? (again - when i say reason i dont mean justified - but there is certainly more to the story - you must know that)

CusefanATL said:
wow - thats what you took from that article?! I have no inside info, but i literally took the exact opposite. Do you really think that Naes just showed up to stab people for no reason? (again - when i say reason i dont mean justified - but there is certainly more to the story - you must know that)

It happened very quickly.

Tom said we keep having issues with players who had past legal problems. I was alluding to the fact that I hope Gabe Sherrod breaks that trend. What's so unfair about that?

Because apparently you're not allowed to make a logical statement given the statement you were replying to or someone will race over to be the moral police.

Yes. Let's jump to the worst case scenario or just assume all rumors are true. That works lots better.

He's a bad seed. Will never be any different. Anything he's accused of must be true. It's easy and justifies lots of fun societal behaviors.

I can imagine a scenario where self-defense turns into overreaction (like self-defense often does). I doubt it but why condemn without good information?
You can tell it was self defense by all the other charges.:rolleyes:

I have no inside info, but i literally took the exact opposite. Do you really think that Naes just showed up to stab people for no reason? (again - when i say reason i dont mean justified - but there is certainly more to the story - you must know that)

Yes, that's exactly what I took from the article. There was nothing in that article or the info that's been revealed thus far that gives any indication about Howard's motivation, nor anything that suggests that the players did something to "warrant" his rage.

I'd say you are inferring something that wasn't implied. I don't take at face value that those players had done something to "justify" being stabbed--that's a preposterous conclusion to jump to.

Last edited:

Some people just go bat-@#$@ crazy.

Then single out everyone on the roster who has had a legal issue. You mentioned a kid by name who by all accounts (from what I've seen on social media) is committed to his goal. Might it go off the rails? Maybe.

Because apparently you're not allowed to make a logical statement given the statement you were replying to or someone will race over to be the moral police.
Not moral police at all. Why mention a single player's name. Mention all who have been in trouble or don't use names.

Then single out everyone on the roster who has had a legal issue. You mentioned a kid by name who by all accounts (from what I've seen on social media) is committed to his goal. Might it go off the rails? Maybe.
So stating something that is true is not okay because he seems to be a nice guy? I'm not doubting he's moved forward. I just think this is an odd battle to fight.

First thing I thought when this went down was that Scissum and/or Winfield were ribbing Naes recently for not being on the team. Obviously that is pure speculation on my part but definitely something that could have set him off.