Naes Howard | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Naes Howard

Terrifying. And it clearly shows that this was NOT a situation where the stabbed players were engaged in doing anything wrong, being where they weren't supposed to be, etc.

I wonder if Howard is mentally ill. That article makes it sound like that could be the case.
This sounds like precisely why we have prisons.

Nobody has any idea what triggered the event, I don't understand all the assumptions. Yesterday it was a drunken fight that escalated. Today it's whatever else when yesterday's theory was disproven. What's next?

I don't understand the need to rationalize this event.

Something that may seem completely rational to person X, may have zero bearing on person Y.

so what that people want to know why someone would do something like this. its human nature to be curious.

Winfield was released from the hospital. Scissum's condition updated to fair. Scissum was originally "critical, but stable"

Could this have something to do with Howard not being reinstated to the team this spring...maybe he heard reinstatement in the fall was a no go too.

so what that people want to know why someone would do something like this. its human nature to be curious.
I agree with this. I'd be interested to know what he was thinking myself. I'm only trying to say that speculation really does nothing, except possibly portray the victims as having some sort of culpability.

In my personal opinion you can't rationalize why someone who would do something like this did it. I don't believe our thought processes are the same.

I'm not sure people are trying to rationalize the behavior. I'm curious as to motivation for really no other reason as to determine whether it was really messed up or really really whacked messed up.

I don't really care why it happened. It's one of those events that has no good result. Three kids the age of my youngest were injured and all three will carry the memory of a traumatic event. Life can turn on moments like these. I feel the worst for Scissum & Winfield, but I've seen too many tragic stories like Howard's. Some people are dysfunctional and seem doomed to a series of tragic events. I mourn the impact on the two with physical injuries, on the team, and on a lost kid whose life is teetering on the edge of a deep abyss. Tis an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

From what I am hearing there are incidents happening on campus after Saturday. If the university and authorities don't get a grip on this situation I am afraid someone may lose their life over nonsense.

I agree with this. I'd be interested to know what he was thinking myself. I'm only trying to say that speculation really does nothing, except possibly portray the victims as having some sort of culpability.

In my personal opinion you can't rationalize why someone who would do something like this did it. I don't believe our thought processes are the same.

Well, you are talking about two things... there's a difference between rationalizing and wanting to know someone's motive. You can speculate why someone did something without rationalizing it IMHO.

From what I am hearing there are incidents happening on campus after Saturday. If the university and authorities don't get a grip on this situation I am afraid someone may lose their life over nonsense.

start it before the University and authorities. The people need to get a grip on the situation.

Sounds like something out of a movie. Hope he gets mental health help during/after his prison time.

Last edited:
Wow. I hope he can turn his life around.

He said he would not consider remaining at Syracuse to work toward his degree if he was not allowed back on the team.

"That isn't an option for me," Howard said. "School isn't an option because it's giving me headaches and I know I'm not a teacher or tutor. I play sports, and I will finish my life as a football coach."

Sounds like something out of a movie. Hope he gets mental health help during/after his prison time.

well... hes a head case.

but fits in with my 3rd guess - he essentially blamed them for his departure and thats why they were targeted. But, regardless of how bad that night could have been or may have been - this article speaks volumes to his psyche and I doubt they even care to open an investigation into that night.

It's scary to think of how much worse it could have been - if he had a bigger knife or if he nicked their necks.