Naes Howard | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Naes Howard

First thing I thought when this went down was that Scissum and/or Winfield were ribbing Naes recently for not being on the team. Obviously that is pure speculation on my part but definitely something that could have set him off.
Either that or they were joshing with him a bit and the next thing you know - bam!

Yes, that's exactly what I took from the article. There was nothing in that article or the info that's been revealed thus far that gives any indication about Howard's motivation, nor anything that suggests that the players did something to "warrant" his rage.

I'd say you are inferring something that wasn't implied. I don't take at face value that those players had done something to "justify" being stabbed--that's a preposterous conclusion to jump to.

I dont get your 2nd paragraph at all. I specifically said twice it wasnt justified.

My point was that he showed up to the party to stab Scissom. The article said he had intent. The article said he ambushed him.

There had to be a reason for Naes to want to go to a specific place to stab a specific person that he knows. DOesnt make it justified - but something happened before yesterday at 6pm that led to the stabbing. I have 3 guesses - money, girls, or the 3rd is scissum said something to coach which ended any chance of Naes getting back on the team. But something happened.

Some people just go bat-@#$@ crazy.

but thats the problem with this. is that he didnt just go bats&*T crazy. he planned and executed an attack. He went to a specific location with a specific person to STAB.

I would actually be cooler with this situation if it was an argument over a card game taht turned into bats*&T craziness. but it was premeditated.

but thats the problem with this. is that he didnt just go bats&*T crazy. he planned and executed an attack. He went to a specific location with a specific person to STAB.

I would actually be cooler with this situation if it was an argument over a card game taht turned into bats*&T craziness. but it was premeditated.
Yeah, that does make it worse...

First thing I thought when this went down was that Scissum and/or Winfield were ribbing Naes recently for not being on the team. Obviously that is pure speculation on my part but definitely something that could have set him off.

Sometimes people feel, true or not, that others are to blame for their situation in life.

So stating something that is true is not okay because he seems to be a nice guy? I'm not doubting he's moved forward. I just think this is an odd battle to fight.
I'm not fighting a battle at all.

My point was that he showed up to the party to stab Scissom. The article said he had intent. The article said he ambushed him.

There had to be a reason for Naes to want to go to a specific place to stab a specific person that he knows. DOesnt make it justified - but something happened before yesterday at 6pm that led to the stabbing. I have 3 guesses - money, girls, or the 3rd is scissum said something to coach which ended any chance of Naes getting back on the team. But something happened.

Here's what the article actually said:

The incident occurred Saturday evening at an outdoor barbecue on the university's South campus to celebrate a student's birthday. About 30 people were present at the time of the stabbing, including five or six football players, the friend said.

The friend said no argument preceded the stabbing, and that it occurred about 2 minutes after Howard showed up.

"Everybody was out there chilling," the friend said. "No one was drunk.

"It literally just happened out of nowhere," the friend said. "It came out of nowhere. There was no argument before. It just happened."
Where's the intent you're interpreting? I'm not sure what you're questioning vis a vis my interpretation, when I asked if he might be mentally ill to show up at an otherwise peaceful, not out of control BBQ, no argument ensued, and then begin stabbing.

Here's what the article actually said:

The incident occurred Saturday evening at an outdoor barbecue on the university's South campus to celebrate a student's birthday. About 30 people were present at the time of the stabbing, including five or six football players, the friend said.

The friend said no argument preceded the stabbing, and that it occurred about 2 minutes after Howard showed up.

"Everybody was out there chilling," the friend said. "No one was drunk.

"It literally just happened out of nowhere," the friend said. "It came out of nowhere. There was no argument before. It just happened."
Where's the intent you're interpreting? I'm not sure what you're questioning vis a vis my interpretation, when I asked if he might be mentally ill to show up at an otherwise peaceful, not out of control BBQ, no argument ensued, and then begin stabbing.

I think what he is trying to say is that we still don't have the why...we now know more of what and how it happened, but the above doesn't really answer the why.

Was it because he went bat$h!t crazy? Was it because of something said about Howard prior to the BBQ? Was it because of some perceived slight against Howard? I think what he is trying to say is that why hasn't been answered yet and the answer to why could be a concern...

LeMoyneCuse said:
So stating something that is true is not okay because he seems to be a nice guy? I'm not doubting he's moved forward. I just think this is an odd battle to fight.

No - bringing it up in a post about a former player stabbing two other players is odd.

Stabbing >>>>>>> Minor Robbery

Not sure how this is not attempted murder but what do I know.

Charges are not necessarily final, further charges could be filed pending investigative results.

Agree with CusefanATL. Something is clearly amiss here. The points in the article RF underlined are the witness' impressions. To him/her it was out of the blue, unprovoked, 2 mins, etc. But he knew where, when and who to attack. With a clear intent to murder - not just Chauncey, but anyone who stood in the way. That's "premeditated" alright. For someone trying ro get it together and make the team, I also have no doubt something serious happened to trigger it. People don't usually snap like that for no reason - sane or not. And this in no way justifies his reaction to any possible action on Chauncey's part.

P.S. Corey Winfield just went to the All Time Favorite SU Athlete of "my" time. And his heroism - literally - outweighs (by far!) any negative impact people may think will befall on the program and the school.

Agree with CusefanATL. Something is clearly amiss here. The points in the article RF underlined are the witness' impressions. To him/her it was out of the blue, unprovoked, 2 mins, etc. But he knew where, when and who to attack. With a clear intent to murder - not just Chauncey, but anyone who stood in the way. That's "premeditated" alright. For someone trying ro get it together and make the team, I also have no doubt something serious happened to trigger it. People don't usually snap like that for no reason - sane or not. And this in no way justifies his reaction to any possible action on Chauncey's part.

P.S. Corey Winfield just went to the All Time Favorite SU Athlete of "my" time. And his heroism - literally - outweighs (by far!) any negative impact people may think will befall on the program and the school.

It didnt have to be all that serious. It could be something as not serious as a girl that sets people pff. Chauncey was either talking behind his back or it was due to something with a chick. I know some say not fair to speculate but with people that age, its typically one of those things.

It didnt have to be all that serious. It could be something as not serious as a girl that sets people pff. Chauncey was either talking . . . . behind his back or it was due to something with a chick. I know some say not fair to speculate but with people that age, its typically one of those things.
Don't believe anyone says it was necessarily "all that" serious. But surely serious enough to Howard. And yes, it could include any of the causes you mention - to a 20-yr old those are all "serious".

The main point of this apparent hair-splitting is that SOMETHING did "cause" it, as in cause/effect. Not just Howard losing it for no reason (i.e. simply going bat crazy) The actual cause itself may well be meaningless per se - aside from self defense (which doesn't appear applicable here). But there definitely had to be some kind of trigger.

Last edited:
It didnt have to be all that serious. It could be something as not serious as a girl that sets people pff. Chauncey was either talking . . . . behind his back or it was due to something with a chick. I know some say not fair to speculate but with people that age, its typically one of those things.
You are right it isn't fair to speculate.

Nobody has any idea what triggered the event, I don't understand all the assumptions. Yesterday it was a drunken fight that escalated. Today it's whatever else when yesterday's theory was disproven. What's next?

I don't understand the need to rationalize this event.

Something that may seem completely rational to person X, may have zero bearing on person Y.

Nobody has any idea what triggered the event, I don't understand all the assumptions. Yesterday it was a drunken fight that escalated. Today it's whatever else when yesterday's theory was disproven. What's next?

I don't understand the need to rationalize this event.

Something that may seem completely rational to person X, may have zero bearing on person Y.
People are overlooking the obvious, he was abducted by aliens and he is infested with an otherworldly parasite that has taken control of his body.