NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

Russ just doesn't get it. He'll never be the best player on a legit title contender unless he significantly changes the way he plays.

He treated that OKC / GSW game like game 7 of the Finals. KD and Steph were laughing at him when he was stealing rebounds.

Agree 100%.. Stealing rebounds and padding assist numbers and then getting pissed when Adams didn't shoot up 14 or so with time on shot clock. Russ is and will always be a me first guy. It's pretty evident. The fact that Steph and KD were laughing at him is case in point. Thunder have a coach that is a great college coach but may not make it in the NBA, George will be gone after this year and Melo just needed out of NY and figured there was some talent in OKC so why not

This is freaky. Wasn't Dwayne Wade just in the NCAA Final Four with Marquette and LeBron in high school in Dacron?

I kinda would like to see kids of Hall of Fame players, particularly a kid with the same name as his all-time top 10 great "old" man, not entertain visions of following in their world-famous fathers' footsteps. Tough acts to follow, particularly for LBJ Jr. and Zaire Wade.

On the other hand, I've caught glimpses of these yutes balling and they definitely got legit game for their ages, so, what the hey, if Dell Curry begot Steph Curry and Mychal Thompson begot Klay Thompson, it might be fun to see what LeBron Sr. and D-Wade begot. Maybe they could become sires when they retire.

Would be cool to see LBJ Sr. hang on till LBJ Jr.'s in the league, if the kid becomes that good. He's as tall as Isaiah Thomas already.

Zaire Wade is dunking in Cleveland almost as much as his father Dwyane

I love watching this clip.
Between Costas and Collins giving Jordan verbal BJs.
Isiah Thomas taking as many subtle cheap shots as he could at Jordan.

The energy and intensity of the game.

The ending.
I love how all the scrub Bulls go up to Jordan at the end like he is The Godfather and they are thanking him(Randy Brown is my personal fave).

I love watching this clip.
Between Costas and Collins giving Jordan verbal BJs.
Isiah Thomas taking as many subtle cheap shots as he could at Jordan.

The energy and intensity of the game.

The ending.
I love how all the scrub Bulls go up to Jordan at the end like he is The Godfather and they are thanking him(Randy Brown is my personal fave).

- Costas was brutally annoying.
- Malone getting stripped there was just...cmon Karl.
- Nobody did any corny little signature celebrations/spazz out pleads for the crowd to cheer for them after making a play. The players were so much cooler back then.

Since it's been a while and I'm contractually obligated to #hatehard every now and again, I thought it was pretty awesome that LeBron stopped playing basketball so he could yell at a ref and get ejected while the other team was heading down on offense.

Really, just a winning play by the king to go defense first on that one.

So when does Billy Donovan start taking some heat?
If I am Boston I call Sam Presti offer him Marcus Smart and a first round pick for Paul George rental.
They have to trade George he won’t resign there.
George rental could push Boston over Cleveland as he would be replacing Hayward for just this year.

If I am Boston I call Sam Presti offer him Marcus Smart and a first round pick for Paul George rental.
They have to trade George he won’t resign there.
George rental could push Boston over Cleveland as he would be replacing Hayward for just this year.

I’m starting to think Westbrook can only work like MVP Allen Iverson in Philly...surround him with a bunch of grinders that are defense first guys.

And I’m just not impressed with how Donovan’s OKC teams have played since he’s been there. I know their bench is weak and they lack perimeter shooters, but they should be better than this. Losing to Orlando? Cmon.

I’m starting to think Westbrook can only work like MVP Allen Iverson in Philly...surround him with a bunch of grinders that are defense first guys.

And I’m just not impressed with how Donovan’s OKC teams have played since he’s been there. I know their bench is weak and they lack perimeter shooters, but they should be better than this. Losing to Orlando? Cmon.

I mean, they were pretty good when they had Durant and Harden. And even when Harden left.

Do I think there is something to what you said? Probably. Especially after last year when Russ took everything on his shoulders and the team had a relatively decent season. And you look at what Oladipo, for instance, has done since leaving OKC.

I mean, they were pretty good when they had Durant and Harden. And even when Harden left.

Do I think there is something to what you said? Probably. Especially after last year when Russ took everything on his shoulders and the team had a relatively decent season. And you look at what Oladipo, for instance, has done since leaving OKC.

I feel like it’s gotten worse the last few years. Even the last year of KD, their offense always seemed very disjointed down the stretch of close games.

I feel like it’s gotten worse the last few years. Even the last year of KD, their offense always seemed very disjointed down the stretch of close games.

Seems like it always was. My turn, your turn.

It's funny, they had Russ/Harden/Kd, and I'm not saying they made this choice, but they ended up with the worst of the 3 players. Not that Russ is bad.

Seems like it always was. My turn, your turn.

It's funny, they had Russ/Harden/Kd, and I'm not saying they made this choice, but they ended up with the worst of the 3 players. Not that Russ is bad.
If I had to choose who I wanted between Paul George and Russell Westbrook I would take George.

Russell is what DW said is Iverson like. He is a volume usage player who is a closer but doesn’t play defense and cares about stats.

Harden doesn’t play defense either and takes a ton of shots but seems like the better teammate.

Since it's been a while and I'm contractually obligated to #hatehard every now and again, I thought it was pretty awesome that LeBron stopped playing basketball so he could yell at a ref and get ejected while the other team was heading down on offense.

Really, just a winning play by the king to go defense first on that one.

Spot on, OG, if LeBron only had that special "it," that drive, that quest for greatness, he'd go down in history as one of the best to ever play the game, instead of leaving a legacy as a slacker and underachiever. Too bad, but, hey, it's all on him.

So, Donovan Mitchell just hung 40 on the Pelicans.

I don't remember him being so dynamic at Louisville. He's destroying NBA players.

So, Donovan Mitchell just hung 40 on the Pelicans.

I don't remember him being so dynamic at Louisville. He's destroying NBA players.
Seriously, he is amazing for a rookie. I've seen a couple people compare him to James Harden. I don't really see that but he has an amazing court vision and a huge ability to get to the hole. People knew how good his defense was but even that is off the charts.

Seriously, he is amazing for a rookie. I've seen a couple people compare him to James Harden. I don't really see that but he has an amazing court vision and a huge ability to get to the hole. People knew how good his defense was but even that is off the charts.
The Jazz really need to find a way to get something of value for Favors. They can't have another free agent walk and leave them with nothing. If they don't move him, my guess is they'll hope they can work a sign and trade out in the off-season to get something back, but they need to be proactive. These bursts by Favors and Burks are hopefully helping to set their trade value.

One (Bald) Old Head's 3 cents' a little more than a quarter into the 82-game season that leads to the all-important 2-month post-season:

The much-maligned East is stronger overall than the West. Stan Van Gundy, like his bro, pretty, pretty, pretty good. Life and hoops are always that much better when the Knickerbockers are legit -- and, for little ol' me, the greatest show on earth is even greater when my first love as a yute in the '60s, the Sixers, are rockin' it.

OKC not OK. Looking forward tonight to C'ing what they look like at home against the Spurs. And, speaking of the Spurs, Pop is the GOAT, on and off the court.

I'm feeling good about my small wager, two hunge, on the Cavs to win it all. I'd derive much more pleasure seeing them beat the golden boys, but they may "have to settle" for Houston. Of course, there's also the "small matter" of the Celtics, looking forward to Cavs at Boston Jan. 3, Isaiah should be playing by then (I'd bet a few shekels he will be). I'm getting chills thinking of the love the Celtics fans are gonna show Isaiah that night.

I thought the gig was up when Kyrie blew town. Twenty-three games into the season, I think the Cavs are a better team without Kyrie, or at least will be when the playoffs start in four months (no maloiks, please, pooh pooh, no major injuries). LeBron's taken his game to another level, has had to do more to compensate for no Kyrie, no Isaiah yet, not even Derrick Rose (probably best for the Cavs, but what a sad story). LBJ's numbers are sick, he's drilling threes, baseline turnaround faceaways and is going to the post more and destroying people. And the passing, the assists-- a thing of beauty. The old man looks to be in better shape and fresher than ever 23 games into in his 15th season. He's already played more minutes than Methuselah in his career and is tied for most minutes per game this season with Paul George and the Greek Freak.

As a card-carrying Medicare Advantage customer and fitness freak, I get a special kick seeing old farts like LeBron and others playing the greatest game known to man- and womankind at such high levels. Vince Carter, who'll be 41 next month, is in his 19th season, and although he's only playing 11 minutes a game for Sacramento and his numbers are not so good, he's still capable of showing the youngbloods that he can still hang.

Some really good young talent in the league, lotta good older talent, globally, the NBA is on fire. I'm a junkie and I don't care, I've kicked some bad, bad, deleterious behavior, this is one addiction I embrace and can't get enough of it.

My name is (not really) Fireball Junior and I approve this message.

Last edited:
I've been texting my buddy this message every few weeks, will do the same here

Kawhi Leonard still hasn't played yet. Weird, right?

I've been texting my buddy this message every few weeks, will do the same here

Kawhi Leonard still hasn't played yet. Weird, right?

Can Kawhi win the MVP with only playing 50 games?

Can Kawhi win the MVP with only playing 50 games?

I remember when Durant got hurt last year, I was looking at most games played by guys who won MVP/made first team all league. Fewest games by an MVP (setting aside the lockout years) in recent history was like 70. And you needed at least 60 or to so make first team all league.

I pulled the list, double checked my work

NBA MVP & ABA Most Valuable Player Award Winners | Basketball-Reference.com

Walton played only 48 games in 78. The fewest since then is 71 by Iverson in 2001. Even in the last few years with the resting situation turned up, it;'s been high 70's.

I remember when Durant got hurt last year, I was looking at most games played by guys who won MVP/made first team all league. Fewest games by an MVP (setting aside the lockout years) in recent history was like 70. And you needed at least 60 or to so make first team all league.

I pulled the list, double checked my work

NBA MVP & ABA Most Valuable Player Award Winners | Basketball-Reference.com

Walton played only 48 games in 78. The fewest since then is 71 by Iverson in 2001. Even in the last few years with the resting situation turned up, it;'s been high 70's.

Think you are right. They'd have to go like 45-5 for him to win it.

Guess Bron will just have to win it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom