NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

Exactly this will all work itself out. Cycles in all sports.

We're in the second decade of this cycle and its still gaining steam. The East sometimes can have a 1 or 2 year contender but the majority of the best teams and players are always in the West.

Bron isn't doing pressers or anything until later in the summer, but he did have time to go cruising while not GMing...

Bob Myers is the best GM in the league. I'm not sold on the Warriors falling off a cliff anytime soon as long as Curry stays healthy. If KD leaves they probably just make a run at someone else.

Here is what I don't get about LeBron if he is going to wait a year for the Lakers next summer why didn't he just sign another 1 year deal in Cleveland and try to win the East again?
I think he could have atleast convinced himself he could beat Boston next year and get to his 9th straight Finals.
Going to LA and with that roster struggling to get out of the first round is a little puzzling. LeBron has earned the right to basically get to live in LA but I don't get it if he is playing the wait till next year's FA route.

Cooper was called a 3point assassin back then with his career 34% from 3 mark. I am going to guess Cooper made three 3's for the Lakers total of 3?

Lakers made 1 3 in that game. They made 10 the whole series.

They scored 153 points, and were 1-4 from 3. Sure wish the guys now played defense as well as they did in the 80s, amirite?

Boston and Philly are fine. The Knicks and Bulls in theory seem like they should matter except they don't. Both have laughable front office and ownership issues and they struggle to even get a meeting with star players let alone needle moving superstars. It's possible that maybe someone like Kyrie might have spent his life dreaming of playing in NYC but is he going to take a lot less money and go to a less competitive team to do so? Highly unlikely. So good luck overpaying the 2nd tier guys and going nowhere which has been the case for decades in NY. The Bulls have a shot to be competent if they add another high lotto pick next year but they still need to figure out how to resolve Lavine's contract situation before they even get there.

People can laugh at the front offices but money and cities talk. Boston and philly are not fine at the moment. Boston is an organization with banners as the one goal, they need to add a top 10 piece to do that. Philly is about to end a 5 year rebuild that will see them still far behind Boston and arguably not the 2nd best team in the East, they will add a top 10 piece as well or try. Chicago’s already talking Anthony Davis and New York will add large pieces after whichever point guard they land, kyrie being the most likely option. Brooklyn, its only a matter of time imo.

People can laugh at the front offices but money and cities talk. Boston and philly are not fine at the moment. Boston is an organization with banners as the one goal, they need to add a top 10 piece to do that. Philly is about to end a 5 year rebuild that will see them still far behind Boston and arguably not the 2nd best team in the East, they will add a top 10 piece as well or try. Chicago’s already talking Anthony Davis and New York will add large pieces after whichever point guard they land, kyrie being the most likely option. Brooklyn, its only a matter of time imo.

I agree with basically none of that.

If the front offices aren’t good, the city doesn’t matter as much. Lots of teams are talking Anthony Davis. Philly and Boston are in good shape for the foreseeable future.

NY and Brooklyn have always been a mess and there’s not much in place right now to suggest that’s going to change any time soon. NY has KP. Brooklyn...well, time is passing and eventually the disaster of the Boston trade won’t matter anymore and maybe they can put something together.

Here is what I don't get about LeBron if he is going to wait a year for the Lakers next summer why didn't he just sign another 1 year deal in Cleveland and try to win the East again?
I think he could have atleast convinced himself he could beat Boston next year and get to his 9th straight Finals.
Going to LA and with that roster struggling to get out of the first round is a little puzzling. LeBron has earned the right to basically get to live in LA but I don't get it if he is playing the wait till next year's FA route.

I think the Lakers roster as currently constructed is underrated honestly. I think they're already better than Cleveland was last year and I'd guess they make it to the 2nd round pretty easily; possibly the WCFs.

But I think the reasons for LeBron leaving this year are:

1. There was a better opportunity for him to contend for a title this year in LA than Cleveland IMO
2. His family wanted to live in LA.
3. He can begin his recruiting efforts a year in advance/gives the Lakers time to get pieces gelling together.

If the front offices aren’t good, the city doesn’t matter as much. Lots of teams are talking Anthony Davis. Philly and Boston are in good shape for the foreseeable future.

NY and Brooklyn have always been a mess and there’s not much in place right now to suggest that’s going to change any time soon. NY has KP. Brooklyn...well, time is passing and eventually the disaster of the Boston trade won’t matter anymore and maybe they can put something together.
I know its a long time ago but in 2010 during LeBron's first FA he put Brooklyn and Knicks in his final 6 teams to consider.
Players are attracted to NYC.
The problem for each organization is what you said NYK-James Dolan and Brooklyn the stupid KG/Pierce trade.
Both teams will appeal to FAs with max offers the problem is the ownership for Knicks sucks and the Nets are cleaning up losing 3 top 8 picks.

In the East if I had to guess which teams could turn it around faster than most it would be NYK, Brooklyn and Miami because all 3 will always appeal to FAs.

Talking doesn't equal anything and the money is the same no matter where you go and actually less if you leave your current situation. They were both talking about landing LeBron in 2010 and the Bulls about Carmelo except neither one actually signs anyone of consequence besides the Knicks settling for Amare in 2010 after they lost out on their top targets. Neither team currently or in the immediate future matters in any way whatsoever. The Knicks can add Kyrie tomorrow and would still get swept by GS or Houston. Boston is developing their own top 10 player in Tatum and were one of the 4 teams left standing without arguably their 2 best players playing a single minute in the playoffs. Chicago better keep talking about Anthony Davis because that's all they are going to be able to do. He's not a free agent until 2021 and that's if he somehow decides to turn down the largest contract in the history of basketball next summer.

I think the Lakers roster as currently constructed is underrated honestly. I think they're already better than Cleveland was last year and I'd guess they make it to the 2nd round pretty easily; possibly the WCFs.

But I think the reasons for LeBron leaving this year are:

1. There was a better opportunity for him to contend for a title this year in LA than Cleveland IMO
2. His family wanted to live in LA.
3. He can begin his recruiting efforts a year in advance/gives the Lakers time to get pieces gelling together.
I agree the roster is better than Cleveland but they aren't in the East.
I don't see them winning 2 playoff series next year. I would bet its more likely they win 0 than 2.

Utah/OKC/Minnesota/Denver are all hard teams. That isn't including Houston/Golden State.
Points 2 and 3 are on the money IMO and make a lot of sense,

That’s fine, we’ll see. Money and NYC will talk, as it always has and will continue to do. Anthony Davis will not be the only piece in play.

We're in the second decade of this cycle and its still gaining steam. The East sometimes can have a 1 or 2 year contender but the majority of the best teams and players are always in the West.
Maybe - just not sure its a big deal. East has won what 5 or 6 titles since the PIstons in 04? Generational players have landed in the west since Jordan. Not sure that is attributed to anything but luck, circumstance and bad Eastern Conference GM's.

As a Knicks fan, I want KD in FA. I know the Knicks are the Knicks, but KP, Frankie Smokes and Knox aren't a bad set of assets to build from and will look a lot better with KD in there (I'm not sure if they can all stay with him signing a max).

Separately, Klay, as an NBA fan, would love to see him go to Philly. If they signed Klay, got JJ at a discount to be a bench guy, they could be an incredibly fun team to watch.

That’s fine, we’ll see. Money and NYC will talk, as it always has and will continue to do. Anthony Davis will not be the only piece in play.

Davis is on record he wasn’t want to leave.

Every team has money and NYC while being NYC hasn’t brought anybody good in as a free agent in a long time.

Players want to win these days and are willing to sacrifice either location and money if not both.

As a Knicks fan, I want KD in FA. I know the Knicks are the Knicks, but KP, Frankie Smokes and Knox aren't a bad set of assets to build from and will look a lot better with KD in there (I'm not sure if they can all stay with him signing a max).

Separately, Klay, as an NBA fan, would love to see him go to Philly. If they signed Klay, got JJ at a discount to be a bench guy, they could be an incredibly fun team to watch.

I really don't want to do this to myself, but do they really have a shot at KD? That would be something

At some point, you have to think someone really good is going to see the opportunity back East.

Hayward can't be the only meaningful import. He just can't.

I really don't want to do this to myself, but do they really have a shot at KD? That would be something
Here's the case for it - nobody can use the "rangs" criticism against him. Looking at his legacy, they can bust on how he got them, but he's won the discussion about getting them.

So how does he enhance his legacy?

Bring a title to an historic franchise in the dumps.

Is there a better place to do that than the Knicks?

Here's the case for it - nobody can use the "rangs" criticism against him. Looking at his legacy, they can bust on how he got them, but he's won the discussion about getting them.

He would be a hero. It would be (to an extent) like Messier winning in '94 if he won a title.

Last edited:

We need to embrace our historic futility! I do think, assuming they win the title this year, there's a decent chance he walks.

The idea of KD interacting with the NY media on a daily basis. LOL

Money and NYC have always been there. With the exception of a couple seasons, the Knicks have been bad/mediocre for two decades.

The league is more interesting when they are good so I would like to see it, but there’s no evidence in place for me to think they are on the rise.

Money and NYC have always been there. With the exception of a couple seasons, the Knicks have been bad/mediocre for two decades.

The league is more interesting when they are good so I would like to see it, but there’s no evidence in place for me to think they are on the rise.
I do not think the knicks are on the rise. I’m just saying they’ll have the ability and will likely close on attracting some of the top 20 talent from the west after next season. Whether or not this leads to playoff runs is something else entirely. Im saying that the concentration of talent will balance out in time, not necessarily the balance of power.

Dolan's feud with Oakley doesn't help the Knicks.
If Dolan sells the Knicks and somebody like Jay-Z was part of the group even a figurehead spot the Knicks would vault up in relevance.
The Curry trade was the Knicks version of the KG/Pierce trade. That set them back and finally Donnie Walsh had them trending up but Dolan/Isiah pissed him off and he left. Jackson came in did nothing but make the Knicks run an offense that only works when you have elite talent see. Triangle and spent the money stupidly.

They have a decent GM and good HC now. Develop your kids don't trade any first round picks and don't sign players to long term contracts outside of KP. Don't do any Hardaway Jr, type signings.

The knicks suck. I'm not getting my hopes up for Durant.

Dolan did at least open up the possibility to sell the team with the news MSG is going to spin off the Knicks/Rangers

Magic should offer the TWolves Ingram and Deng for Jimmy Butler.
He should start with Lonzo and Deng but if he has to give up Ingram do it.
Butler and KAT hate each other.
Give up Ingram but unload a bad contract and Thibs get Deng back + a young player to ruin on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom