NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Wade is awesome, and he did carry them to the title in those playoffs, but Shaq was first team all NBA in 06. He was still pretty damn awesome.

Though I do think it's possible Anthony Davis right now is better than Wade was in the 2010-14 time frame. Davis really is unbelievable.

I think Wade is probably the third or fourth best 2 guard ever? Which is pretty amazing for a guy who couldn't really, like, shoot.
I'm just not buying it on Davis until he actually does something.

Wade is awesome, and he did carry them to the title in those playoffs, but Shaq was first team all NBA in 06. He was still pretty damn awesome.

Though I do think it's possible Anthony Davis right now is better than Wade was in the 2010-14 time frame. Davis really is unbelievable.

I think Wade is probably the third or fourth best 2 guard ever? Which is pretty amazing for a guy who couldn't really, like, shoot.

It’s hard to compare a SG to a PF/C. Both were/are elite players. Like top 3-5 in the game in their primes.

I think a difference is that Wade was your standard 6’5 two guard, where Davis is a freak. He’s 6’10-6’11 or whatever and a great shot blocker, but he can also handle guarding a guard on the perimeter should he get switched onto one. What you can do defensively with him is insane. And then he can post up, shoot fairly well from outside, is an effective passer and ball handler for a post player, and a freak athlete running the floor or catching oops.

Wade is already a made guy with 3 ‘chips, and Davis hasn’t won a thing. That is a fair point. But I think Davis’s ceiling is higher than Wade’s. It’s higher than almost anybody whose played. Comparable to guys like Garnett and Hakeem in freakish overall ability for 6’11+ guys and career arc.

Things certainly worked out for LeBron & Wade -- two titles -- but what I mean, or am trying to say, is that Davis, at 26, is a better player & complement now than Wade was by the time LeBron arrived.

This may sound like a really minor gripe but it really irritates me that Nike has our classic golds looking like some damn highlighters and completely butchered our classic purples. Cmon. It’s one of the most iconic and unique home/away uni’s in sports...get the damn color and design right.

I'm old enough to remember when LeBron was in high school, had hair, had no children, had no outside shot.

Lakers are fun to watch. Lotta nice parts. Defense is sick, polar opposite of last season. Chemistry seems to be pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Lakers haven't lost a road game so far, No. 1 could well be in the near future. They end a 5-game roadie at Indy Tuesday and -- hello -- at Milwaukee Thursday.

A third of the way into his 17th season, I dare say LeBron's having his best season yet with the best running mate he's ever had, the Brow. Man, I love the frickin' NBA.

I’m old enough to remember when you were a Cavs, Heat and Cavs fan again! ;)

I'm just not buying it on Davis until he actually does something.

Believe you may have mentioned that before. I get it. think we'll be able to revisit in May

And i dont mean that in an a-hole way or anything

Milwaukee. Clippers. Someone stop the Lakers please. I can’t take it.

It’s hard to compare a SG to a PF/C. Both were/are elite players. Like top 3-5 in the game in their primes.

I think a difference is that Wade was your standard 6’5 two guard, where Davis is a freak. He’s 6’10-6’11 or whatever and a great shot blocker, but he can also handle guarding a guard on the perimeter should he get switched onto one. What you can do defensively with him is insane. And then he can post up, shoot fairly well from outside, is an effective passer and ball handler for a post player, and a freak athlete running the floor or catching oops.

Wade is already a made guy with 3 ‘chips, and Davis hasn’t won a thing. That is a fair point. But I think Davis’s ceiling is higher than Wade’s. It’s higher than almost anybody whose played. Comparable to guys like Garnett and Hakeem in freakish overall ability for 6’11+ guys and career arc.

He really is incredible.

He's also in a great situation for him, it's possible because he's a big guy he can't really be the absolute #1 offensive option on a title winning team. (which is similar to KG, and I wonder exactly what Hakeem would look like today) But he can be an amazing 1A guy as o primary scorer, and he's great at everything else.

Those are the only two teams I’m worried about based on everything I’ve seen so far, though I do think Philly could potentially be a monster later in the year. Still think they need a guard who can handle and score off the bench(like a Crawford or...a Dion if he’s right) though.

A Lakers/Clippers WCF would be a lot of fun.

I get what you're saying, but is the formula for greatness a complete skill set plus height and length? That's it? Just seems anticlimactic.

I get what you're saying, but is the formula for greatness a complete skill set plus height and length? That's it? Just seems anticlimactic.

We’ll see. His best teammate in NO was...Jrue Holiday? In the west? KG in Minnesota/Hakeem post Sampson injury, everyone else suspended for coke type teams.

Believe you may have mentioned that before. I get it. think we'll be able to revisit in May

And i dont mean that in an a-hole way or anything
Not taken in a bad way. It's a hill I'll die on every time. I can only tolerate so much hype on a player before "have they won" on a very simple level can be answered. I'm not even talking rings. If you're that good, you should be able to drag your team into the playoffs most seasons. If you're an all-time great, yeah, you probably need multiple deep playoff runs at least.

Until then, I get excited about guys looking to breakthrough (Luka), but they don't get the OiG stamp of approval until they show they're not a loser. And even then, I may reserve the right to be a hater (Harden), because I'm a flawed human being.

I’m old enough to remember when you were a Cavs, Heat and Cavs fan again! ;)

I'm knuckle-tappin', dappin', high fivin', low fivin' and applauding you. I'm busted. Very well-done! :)

I was a Lakers fan for a few years in the '60s -- big fan of Zeke from Cabin Creek, Happy Hairston, the majestic Elgin Baylor and Gail Goodrich with his left-handed corner shots. But I fell hard for Wilt and went all in on the Sixers till he moved west to LA.

I had my Cavs periods after that, essentially 'cause they came into being my first year outta college when I was a cub sports reporter in Akron.

Then came LeBron and my fandom and passion traveled with him. Once he retires, I'll just go back to rooting for whoever plays the Celtics. :);)

Those are the only two teams I’m worried about based on everything I’ve seen so far, though I do think Philly could potentially be a monster later in the year. Still think they need a guard who can handle and score off the bench(like a Crawford or...a Dion if he’s right) though.

A Lakers/Clippers WCF would be a lot of fun.

I think they need more than that honestly. Aside from Milwaukee just going cold (which is totally possible, see last year's ECF), I don't really see anyone in the East hanging with them unless Boston or Philly make a very major move (which they both have the pieces to potentially do).

This Lakers season is like the 2007-2008 Boston one. That Celtics team came right together with KG/Pierce/Allen and good role players to become 66-16. That Celtics team was new but bonded on a trip to Italy. The Lakers trip to China had to help their chemistry and being around each other.

I think the Lakers will go in that range.
Clippers will be there in the end though.

Bucks/76ers ECF unless Boston makes a move.

Trying to decide who has had it worse Redskins or Knicks fans?
Both tentpole franchises with crap owners. Insane fanbases that are being gutted.

I don’t think the Lakers are built for the playoffs. Way too dependent on two players. They will run into a defense that will limit James or Davis (if not both) and that will be that.

Knicks beat the Hawks 143-120 tonight. I know the Hawks are just as bad as the Knicks, but giving up 143 points to the Knicks should be grounds for immediate dismissal of the entire coaching staff.

Was discussing this with a friend tonight.
In soccer you can loan players to other teams.
Do you think that concept could work in the NBA.
Teams could loan players for a season rather than trading them. They would retain their contracts for the future but it would allow players to experience different organizations while the team struggling retaining the players and getting compensation for a bad season.

Could this work?
Say the Warriors know their are done this year but they could loan Draymond for the season get some stuff for him and be able to bring him back.

Teams could loan players for a season rather than trading them. They would retain their contracts for the future but it would allow players to experience different organizations while the team struggling retaining the players and getting compensation for a bad season.

Could this work?
Say the Warriors know their are done this year but they could loan Draymond for the season get some stuff for him and be able to bring him back.
Sounds crazy.

I'm in.

Knicks beat the Hawks 143-120 tonight. I know the Hawks are just as bad as the Knicks, but giving up 143 points to the Knicks should be grounds for immediate dismissal of the entire coaching staff.
It looked like an intramural game and I got about a dozen text from my anti-NBA guys saying "this is better than college hoops?"

Could this work?

I am totally in on it as an idea, i love it conceptually, but I'm not sure how it would really work.

Take Draymond, I guess the Warriors could get some stuff for him, but like, presumably he goes to a good team who is trying to make a deep playoff run, are the Warriors really going to love the idea of him playing all these minutes for someone else, on their dime?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom