NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 138 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

They can’t really improve the roster in all likelihood so trying to get more out of the roster via a new coach makes sense. It’ll be tough to find an upgrade over him but Nick Nurse might be one and he’s currently available.

I’m gonna miss Bud though.
FWIW

It just seems like a crazy knee jerk reaction to me. The Bucks are in the midst of their best stretch since like the 70s and they just had the best record in the league.
He probably would have been fired a couple years ago if they hadn’t won the title for the same reason. I can’t blame them for thinking they can’t justify running it back with the same crew again and with their cap situation, it’s tough to do much else. I’m curious to see if there’s a bigger shakeup in store though.

I’ll go so far as to say if Lakers don’t win this series I’ll be pretty stunned

Eric Lewis. Has called 3 Fouls on AD, Steph, and Poole. Every game he refs is borderline unwatchable.

They can’t really improve the roster in all likelihood so trying to get more out of the roster via a new coach makes sense. It’ll be tough to find an upgrade over him but Nick Nurse might be one and he’s currently available.

Tyronn Lue should be available soon.

The Lakers gave up on this game with about 6 minutes to go in the second quarter.
Yup. I can go to bed earlier, at least. I’ve been dragging ass, since staying up to 1 AM for game 1 on Tuesday.

Yup. I can go to bed earlier, at least. I’ve been dragging ass, since staying up to 1 AM for game 1 on Tuesday.
AD with the complete no show. Have always loved hating that guy since he picked UK over SU.

Lakers employees and fans complaining about officiating is equal parts hilarious and ridiculous.
Can’t speak for others, but my post is a minor stab at humor.

Can’t speak for others, but my post is a minor stab at humor.
Al Franken would call that kidding on the square.

I'll concede the league might be ensuring the series goes seven games. If anyone gets help in that seventh game, though, it will be the Lakers.

Tyronn Lue should be available soon.
Yeah him and Nurse seem like the very obvious choices. Probably can’t risk going with a first time head coach and anyone short of those two seems like a very clear downgrade.

Yeah him and Nurse seem like the very obvious choices. Probably can’t risk going with a first time head coach and anyone short of those two seems like a very clear downgrade.
Boeheim should be getting the itch by then.

I know he's an LA fan favorite, but this series is starting to look way to big for Austin Reaves. There's no one on the court he can defend.

I got progressively tired of Nick Nurse the last 2 years in Toronto, even when the Raptors had good success in the 2021/2022 season. His bad traits came to the forefront the last few years.

Nick Nurse would probably give the Bucks an initial boost as he brings in his tactics He is the anti-Bud in that he plays his starters crazy minutes. His best before date will expire within a few years with players, but its the NBA that is not that unusual. He might be a good solution to boost the Bucks for a year or two (which in the Bucks franchise success cycle as of today makes sense), before he starts to annoy.

However...

Be prepared for the starters to have their minutes ramped up significantly and have more nagging injuries.

Be prepared for less bench development as Nurse does not trust young players and will never give them a fair shot at anywhere close to rotation minutes.

Be prepared for "distance covered defensively" to ramp up for your players significantly (actually be the league leaders) that over time are easily scouted and don't add any value to your defensive efficiency - actually hurt it.

Be prepared for questionable double team schemes.

Be prepared for more injuries and players not being "Nursed" back from them - instead coming back and immediately going 35 minutes in crazy mileage schemes.

Be prepared for nagging of Ref levels that are very hihg, even by NBA standards, to the point that it might actually be counter productive. When nagging is done more selectively it can be a more effective tool.

Be prepared for terrible challenge calls.

I got progressively tired of Nick Nurse the last 2 years in Toronto, even when the Raptors had good success in the 2021/2022 season. His bad traits came to the forefront the last few years.

Nick Nurse would probably give the Bucks an initial boost as he brings in his tactics He is the anti-Bud in that he plays his starters crazy minutes. His best before date will expire within a few years with players, but its the NBA that is not that unusual. He might be a good solution to boost the Bucks for a year or two (which in the Bucks franchise success cycle as of today makes sense), before he starts to annoy.

However...

Be prepared for the starters to have their minutes ramped up significantly and have more nagging injuries.

Be prepared for less bench development as Nurse does not trust young players and will never give them a fair shot at anywhere close to rotation minutes.

Be prepared for "distance covered defensively" to ramp up for your players significantly (actually be the league leaders) that over time are easily scouted and don't add any value to your defensive efficiency - actually hurt it.

Be prepared for questionable double team schemes.

Be prepared for more injuries and players not being "Nursed" back from them - instead coming back and immediately going 35 minutes in crazy mileage schemes.

Be prepared for nagging of Ref levels that are very hihg, even by NBA standards, to the point that it might actually be counter productive. When nagging is done more selectively it can be a more effective tool.

Be prepared for terrible challenge calls.
Re: some of Nurse's issues:
  • It seems like Nurse spread the minutes out pretty well up until the last two seasons when the depth wasn't really there IMO
  • Bud doesn't play young guys at all/Milwaukee doesn't have any young guys so that wouldn't be a change lol. If anything, Nurse seems to trust young guys more than Bud/Milwaukee did.
  • I don't think Bud has ever won a coach's challenge. I'd be shocked if there's a worse coach in the league at that.
  • The Bucks training staff is pretty remarkable so feels like it may be a good fit.
  • Nurse's complaining will definitely annoy me; I know that for sure. I know the fact that Bud almost never complained about anything drove a lot of Bucks fans nuts, but I was totally fine with that approach personally.
My main concern with Nurse is that he may be too dramatic a change relative to Bud. But on paper, pretty much all the reasons we theoretically fired Bud for are things that Nurse does well.

Re: some of Nurse's issues:
  • It seems like Nurse spread the minutes out pretty well up until the last two seasons when the depth wasn't really there IMO
  • Bud doesn't play young guys at all/Milwaukee doesn't have any young guys so that wouldn't be a change lol. If anything, Nurse seems to trust young guys more than Bud/Milwaukee did.
  • I don't think Bud has ever won a coach's challenge. I'd be shocked if there's a worse coach in the league at that.
  • The Bucks training staff is pretty remarkable so feels like it may be a good fit.
  • Nurse's complaining will definitely annoy me; I know that for sure. I know the fact that Bud almost never complained about anything drove a lot of Bucks fans nuts, but I was totally fine with that approach personally.
My main concern with Nurse is that he may be too dramatic a change relative to Bud. But on paper, pretty much all the reasons we theoretically fired Bud for are things that Nurse does well.
Appreciate the analysis from both of you. Doesn’t sound like either one would be a great fit with the Clippers. The Clips need a coach who can manage a lot of depth and who will commit to developing the younger players.

Appreciate the analysis from both of you. Doesn’t sound like either one would be a great fit with the Clippers. The Clips need a coach who can manage a lot of depth and who will commit to developing the younger players.

If the Clippers are still purely in win-now mode, Nurse might make a good choice. (yes it will likely compromise the development of the youth that are not firmly established in the rotation yet).
This is assuming Nurse largely abolishes his current defensive system which I think he would do with the Clips - no way Kawhi and George could play that way -- they can be good defenders but not in a chase / create chaos system, where injuries would be a real concern

Nurse and Kawai were a pretty good fit in 2019 - and he works well with veterans -- I suppose guys like Siakam, Anunoby, FVV did continue to get better under him as well, but they were all established rotation players before he became head coach. Other than those guys since 2019, there has only been one homegrown player that has really cracked the rotation in 4 years (Chris boucher) -- part of that is on management, part of it is on Nurse.

I don't think Nurse is a bad coach.. neither is someone like Bud. But he had issues with mgmt. and his defensive approach and minutes mgmt. were just a poor fit in terms of how he managed the current Raptors personnel. He had lost his touch with this team, and players were tuning him out -- which makes sense when you have guys, who are good defenders, play a hard mileage defensive system that is not working in part because of the scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom