NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 137 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

I think I asked this in the thread around this time a year ago; who is the next American born player to win MVP? Tatum and Morant were the guys that came to mind last year
I think Tatum is probably the overwhelming favorite to be the next American born MVP. After that, I think I might look towards the super young guys that aren't at that level yet; guys like Anthony Edwards, Paolo Banchero, etc. I don't really see guys like Ja, Booker, and Shai reaching that level personally.

I see the Lakers have 11 FTA this half and the Warriors have none. So that’s how it’s going to be…
1683133235722.jpeg

I think Tatum is probably the overwhelming favorite to be the next American born MVP. After that, I think I might look towards the super young guys that aren't at that level yet; guys like Anthony Edwards, Paolo Banchero, etc. I don't really see guys like Ja, Booker, and Shai reaching that level personally.

I was going to throw SGA in there but he's Canadian. (Yes, that is North America. So lets go with US born instead). He scored 30 a game this year, he's probably gonna be first team all NBA. If the team makes a jump to real contender status in the next few years I could see him having a shot

Agree Tatum would be the favorite. I could see Booker going nuts in a year or two and scoring 30 plus a game and having a darkhorse case, but Tatum def strikes me as a better potential candidate.

I was going to throw SGA in there but he's Canadian. (Yes, that is North America. So lets go with US born instead). He scored 30 a game this year, he's probably gonna be first team all NBA. If the team makes a jump to real contender status in the next few years I could see him having a shot

Agree Tatum would be the favorite. I could see Booker going nuts in a year or two and scoring 30 plus a game and having a darkhorse case, but Tatum def strikes me as a better potential candidate.
I totally forgot Shai is Canadian tbh. I think I’d probably say he has a better shot at MVP than Ja or Booker moving forwards but obviously he is not American, so moving on.

Here's another interesting MVP thing

The last #1 pick to win the MVP was Lebron back in 2013. So, it's been 10 years. Eyeballing it, this is technically the longest time we've gone without a #1 pick winning MVP. We had a 5 season stretch between 04-8, 6 seasons from 81-86. Also, the first 8 MVP's weren't a #1 pick. (Russell was a #2, Wilt was a 3, but that was a territorial selection, so I think maybe you should really count him as a 1. Not exactly sure how that worked, I feel like he was the consensus top player)

I think MVP for American-born players is really only Tatum.

Embiid, Luka, Giannis and Jokic are going to be in the top tier of players for a while. Tatum is there, most of the time, is right there and they may have a year where they grab like 60 wins at some point.

Mitchell, Booker, etc... I don't think are at that tier.

I still think Steph could sneak in an MVP if he plays enough over the next few years would be my only 'maybe'.

Saw this great tweet a few days ago. I can't link it right because twitter appears to be down for me, but it broke out the results of a playoff game based on how the series had progressed so far.

When the home team wins game 1, they win game 2 74% of the time. When they lose game 1, they win game 2 77% of the time. Pretty amazing, because to me at least, you would think if all you knew was the home team won game 1, that would be an indication they were the better team and would be more likely to win game 2, but not. (Also, fwiw, the home team wins game 1 about 73% of the time)

You see this throughout the series too, if the home team is up 2-0, they win game 3 43% of the time, but if it's 1-1 they win game 3 48% of the time.

The pull back towards even in these playoff series is really something. Chalk it up to whatever you want to. I am sure there are theories!

I think MVP for American-born players is really only Tatum.

Embiid, Luka, Giannis and Jokic are going to be in the top tier of players for a while. Tatum is there, most of the time, is right there and they may have a year where they grab like 60 wins at some point.

Mitchell, Booker, etc... I don't think are at that tier.

I still think Steph could sneak in an MVP if he plays enough over the next few years would be my only 'maybe'.
I'd add - with health and interest the big question - Kawhi. I could see him piecing together one last stand.

But at least they gave Embiid the MVP
Great season, but should have been Joker. Numbers and record should be the tie-breaker.
Voter fatigue and journalistic pressure and the Kendrick Perkins issue.

Great season, but should have been Joker. Numbers and record should be the tie-breaker.
Voter fatigue and journalistic pressure and the Kendrick Perkins issue.

I don't disagree but I think it's 90% voter fatigue. Happened to LeBron as well for several years.

Saw this great tweet a few days ago. I can't link it right because twitter appears to be down for me, but it broke out the results of a playoff game based on how the series had progressed so far.

When the home team wins game 1, they win game 2 74% of the time. When they lose game 1, they win game 2 77% of the time. Pretty amazing, because to me at least, you would think if all you knew was the home team won game 1, that would be an indication they were the better team and would be more likely to win game 2, but not. (Also, fwiw, the home team wins game 1 about 73% of the time)

You see this throughout the series too, if the home team is up 2-0, they win game 3 43% of the time, but if it's 1-1 they win game 3 48% of the time.

The pull back towards even in these playoff series is really something. Chalk it up to whatever you want to. I am sure there are theories!
One of the best bets in sports gambling is hammer the NBA team that lost game 1 at home.

One of the best bets in sports gambling is hammer the NBA team that lost game 1 at home.
My dad’s words to me and my brother growing up: “bet the ranch on ____tonight”, in those scenarios. And yeah, usually was right.

The Bucks canned Coach Bud? Unless there is some drama behind the scenes that I’m not aware of that is absolutely nuts to me.
They can’t really improve the roster in all likelihood so trying to get more out of the roster via a new coach makes sense. It’ll be tough to find an upgrade over him but Nick Nurse might be one and he’s currently available.

I’m gonna miss Bud though.

They can’t really improve the roster in all likelihood so trying to get more out of the roster via a new coach makes sense. It’ll be tough to find an upgrade over him but Nick Nurse might be one and he’s currently available.

I’m gonna miss Bud though.
It just seems like a crazy knee jerk reaction to me. The Bucks are in the midst of their best stretch since like the 70s and they just had the best record in the league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom