NCAA allows players to return to campus June 1 for voluntary workouts. SU Classes start Aug 24 | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA allows players to return to campus June 1 for voluntary workouts. SU Classes start Aug 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbers are cutting hair in people's backyards, apparently a bigger than thought underground market.

Anyway this is getting off point. If the Dome can get 6k-8K it might be a strange home field advantage considering the acoustics of the place.

6k is my mathematical estimate. Unless we cheat some how. Maybe some standing room with social distancing?

And handling of the situation is what it reflects.

Cuomo is learning as he goes, as is everyone. Disinfecting subways cars is pointless though, yelling at people walking in parks is going against what we are learning. He has a fool for partner in NYC so I feel for him there. He has a much better attitude towards other parts of the state - which to this point it's a good thing SU is far away from Manhattan.

Why not argue both?

Personally, I'm not getting my hair cut, but theres some logic that might indicate 1 person might be able to reasonably provide a "safe" service for 25 folks a day, no? Mutual ppe, etc... heck, use a hydrochloric acid air filter(removes 99% plus of virus) between clients? Dentist offices are doing that, around me. I'm confused with some of the "absolutes". Am I off, in that regard?

Yes, and things are starting to open. Each state is different. The gym I go to put in one of those air filters. I still have not gone back. That’s where people are breathing the heaviest.

don’t get me started on liberty. No way we should be playing them. Not last year not this year.
I don’t want to blame last years season on the fact we started it in Falwell’s backyard but :rolleyes:

He has a much better attitude towards other parts of the state - which to this point it's a good thing SU is far away from Manhattan.

I disagree 100 percent with u on this. His base is downstate he could care less about any other region outside of the NYC Tri-State otherwise we here in CNY could have been a further ahead in the reopening process if he didn't lump the rest of the state in with NYC Tri-State.

I disagree 100 percent with u on this. His base is downstate he could care less about any other region outside of the NYC Tri-State otherwise we here in CNY could have been a further ahead in the reopening process if he didn't lump the rest of the state in with NYC Tri-State.

CNY is part of the New York. What was he supposed to do?

The owners are fine. Players too. Buy they are losing a ton of money. They want to get back to business too, if possible.

If a barber or bar owner needs to find work temporarily to feed their families they can find work. There are plenty of places that are doing well right now and are hiring. Kroger is one. Amazon. Walmart. That‘s life right now.

Not where I am. There is no other work. People are losing more than income, it's everything. My father is a barber for 42 years. If not for the fact I'm still working and have been able to support him and a few other family members who are business owners it would be even worse. It's still not good now. I think your take is ignorant of the realities of small business owners, union workers and many others who don't have the alternatives you suggest are an obvious and easy fix.

These folks are not anarchists, they are simply trying to survive.

You're a dead ender. I said he was better in other parts of the state, you can read that a lot of different ways.

Not where I am. There is no other work. People are losing more than income, it's everything. My father is a barber for 42 years. If not for the fact I'm still working and have been able to support him and a few other family members who are business owners it would be even worse. It's still not good now. I think your take is ignorant of the realities of small business owners, union workers and many others who don't have the alternatives you suggest are an obvious and easy fix.

Can‘t imagine your father wants to get or spread Covid19 to his clients, right? If he has no customers, or a bar or restaurant has no customers because people are justifiably worried about getting infected, what would he/they do?

Not shutting down for a few months was not an option, for obvious reasons. Not eveyone is a small business owner either. There are risks inherent to small business owners. This is one.

There are plenty of places that are doing well right now and are hiring. Kroger is one. Amazon. Walmart. That‘s life right now.

You might want to check that. There are currently 40 million unemployed Americans. It's the highest # in American history. If those places have 40 million openings? Cool. I'm guessing it's slightly less than that.

Can‘t imagine your father wants to get or spread Covid19 to his clients, right? If he has no customers, or a bar or restaurant has no customers because people are justifiably worried about getting infected, what would he/they do?

Not shutting down for a few months was not an option, for obvious reasons. Not eveyone is a small business owner either. There are risks inherent to small business owners. This is one.

I went to my doctor yesterday. She wore a mask, I wore a mask. She wore gloves and it was for a blood pressure test. Assuming his dad did the same what's the difference?

Yes, and things are starting to open. Each state is different. The gym I go to put in one of those air filters. I still have not gone back. That’s where people are breathing the heaviest.
I'm not hitting a gym, either. (Despite a current unexpected, overwhelming need...lol) But yeah, those filters are effective. Cool. There is a formula to properly ventilate/filter a space, based on flow and cubic square feet. If they post (or know) that #? You should be safe. If they look at you funny when you ask that question? Move along.

Last edited:
You might want to check that. There are currently 40 million unemployed Americans. It's the highest # in American history. If those places have 40 million openings? Cool. I'm guessing it's slightly less than that.

See it everyday on Linkedin.

Not shutting down for a few months is not an option. Not eveyone is a small business owner either. There are risks inherent to small business owners. This is one.

This is such a distant take. You aren't even in the ballpark. Every possible precaution has been taken and will be. It's a choice of the customers to be a patron or not. Also, we are talking about a community with 30 total cases and the rest in a funeral home. You don't get that there is no economic recovery for some folks, there is no alternative job or source of income out there. He isn't sick or infected, is in a location with no outbreak and still takes a lot of a precaution.

You can't just take what happened in NY and overlay it to every small town in America. It's not realistic or accurate.

You're a dead ender. I said he was better in other parts of the state, you can read that a lot of different ways.

I don't follow what you mean then. The way i read it.

And handling of the situation is what it reflects.

It's going to be years for all these governors and mayors stories to be told. Strategically he did the right thing being everywhere, that's for sure.

This is such a distant take. You aren't even in the ballpark. Every possible precaution has been taken and will be. It's a choice of the customers to be a patron or not. Also, we are talking about a community with 30 total cases and the rest in a funeral home. You don't get that there is no economic recovery for some folks, there is no alternative job or source of income out there. He isn't sick or infected, is in a location with no outbreak and still takes a lot of a precaution.

You can't just take what happened in NY and overlay it to every small town in America. It's not realistic or accurate.

Well, they can’t NOT shut down wherever you live. There are only 30 cases because they did the right thing. Be glad. Things could be a lot worse. Things will re-open in time. If people want to get a haircut then he’ll be fine.

See it everyday on Linkedin.

Cool. That was 1,027,000 job openings. 39 million to go. Happy those jobs are available. Is this a case where the big corporations shut down the Mom and Pop?

That sucks. :-(
Best of luck to you and your Dad.

I posted a graph showing 40% to 85% of small business, going under within 4 -6 months. Small business account for 53% of the economy. That's real, too. I hope those stats are wrong.

Last edited:
None of which do anything for most of our local community here. They aren't hiring here.

I don‘t know where you live, but there’s about 100 names on that list. If your town doesn’t have any of these businesses it sounds like there wasn’t much business happening anyways.

There’s no Pizza Hut? No Walmart? No hospitals? No senior Living centers? Maybe now would be a great time to start an Instacart or some other business that‘s found an opportunity here.

If he lumped everything then why is CNY opening and nyc isn’t?

Cool. That was 1,027,000 job openings. 39 million to go. Happy those jobs are available. Is this a case where the big corporations shut down the Mom and Pop?

Those jobs are still open, eh? Those 40 million are collecting unemployment, right? Would imagine lots of the people that lost their jobs will be able to go back once business improves. Once it becomes safe fo people to do the things they once felt comfortable doing. Like traveling. Imagine the airlines, rental car companies, hotels and cruise lines are suffering too. These aren’t necessarily state lockdown related. It’s consumer driven too.

Well, they can’t NOT shut down wherever you live. There are only 30 cases because they did the right thing. Be glad. Things could be a lot worse. Things will re-open in time. If people want to get a haircut then he’ll be fine.

Yes things will re open but there is already major economic damage much that can't be undone for small business owners. You have to live it I guess to understand it. Do you own a business?

Status
Not open for further replies.