NCAA allows players to return to campus June 1 for voluntary workouts. SU Classes start Aug 24 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA allows players to return to campus June 1 for voluntary workouts. SU Classes start Aug 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he lumped everything then why is CNY opening and nyc isn’t?

A lot of people thought he could have let the regions restarted weeks before when he first extended to may 15th. BTW, That 81 percent approval rating means nothing his bed has been made he will never have the support and backing of the voters of NY for any future political career he pursues the voices he didn't hear he will hear loud and clear in the future. Your underestimate how many people in NY state don't like him.

I don‘t know where you live, but there’s about 100 names on that list. If your town doesn’t have any of these businesses it sounds like there wasn’t much business happening anyways.

There’s no Pizza Hut? No Walmart? No hospitals? No senior Living centers? Maybe now would be a great time to start an Instacart or some other business that‘s found an opportunity here.

30-60 minutes away yes. And most are not hiring beyond normal postings here and there. There is plenty of business here but the majority is still shut down and is locally owned not all big box.

Also business owners have more responsibility than to drop everything and try and find a job. They have a business to try and continue to run even if they are shut down. It's far different from a kid with no job applying. The options are limited and it makes more sense to try and reopen than cut bait and go earn 30 pct of what they did before.

Cannot restart a dormant business without capital and credit. I hope it gets better for your family soon.

Exactly and appreciate it. The Cares Act helped some but not a lot considering there a lot of Independent contractors vs more W2 earners. They are likely going to hang on but with zero reserves left and having to reopen against state mandates to do so.

Yes things will re open but there is already major economic damage much that can't be undone for small business owners. You have to live it I guess to understand it. Do you own a business?

No, I do not. I have a brother than owns a travel agency in CNY. His business is shut down for a long time. He has no clients. Has nothing to do with the shutdown of NY either. Imagine if he took a trip to Disneyland with 8 customers and 2 got Covid19 and died? He’d lose his entire business. Nobody wants to travel right now, because it’s probably not safe. He has to shutdown and live off of his prior earnings. Even when things are lifted, how many clients will he have?

The only thing to do was to shutdown or people die. Lots of them. That‘s exactly what we have seen.

I don‘t know where you live, but there’s about 100 names on that list. If your town doesn’t have any of these businesses it sounds like there wasn’t much business happening anyways.

There’s no Pizza Hut? No Walmart? No hospitals? No senior Living centers? Maybe now would be a great time to start an Instacart or some other business that‘s found an opportunity here.

You need capital or collateral to finance a new business. SBA loans require you to bring cash to the table. Gotta have reserves to make that happen.

A lot of people thought he could have let the regions restarted weeks before when he first extended to may 15th. BTW, That 81 percent approval rating means nothing his bed has been made he will never have the support and backing of the voters of NY for any future political career he pursues the voices he didn't hear he will hear loud and clear in the future. Your underestimate how many people in NY state don't like him.

you don’t reopen when numbers are going up. And every expert said the curves had to be flattened. You might have heard of that.

No, I do not. I have a brother than owns a travel agency in CNY. His business is shut down for a long time. He has no clients. Has nothing to do with the shutdown of NY either. Imagine if he took a trip to Disneyland with 8 customers and 2 got Covid19 and died? He’d lose his entire business. Nobody wants to travel right now, because it’s probably not safe. He has to shutdown and live off of his prior earnings. Even when things are lifted, how many clients will he have?

The only thing to do was to shutdown or people die. Lots of them. That‘s exactly what we have seen.
The travel industry is, and will continue to be completely decimated.

I saw something today that said if we had locked down a week prior, 36,000 less people would have died. Is that on Trump? Maybe if he had taken this seriously in the first place...

he’ll be governor as long as he wants.

I'm very sorry for your brother. Many haven't hung on here and shutdown for good as a result of low demand. We don't have an outbreak here and some of that is low population density more than anything. Everyone worries about their health here too including the health risks from being tossed into poverty. Clearly if the virus was rampant here there would be different takes.

The travel industry is, and will continue to be completely decimated.

I was in Savannah a couple weeks ago. That town lives on tourism. It was a ghost town. I played golf, but the course was in bad shape. Nobody was taking care of it. There was almost nobody on the streets. Very weird. Spoke to a homeless person that had a job a month prior. Told me the cops were not even arresting people unless super serious. Can’t put people in jail either. The Westin I normally stay at had locks on the doors. Hotels never close. These were all closed. Forget vacations. Nobody is traveling for work. It’s bad.

Last edited:

Umm... I would never recommend a 70 year old go work at a hospital, walmart, or senior living center. I'd much prefer him not to. But why should any of us decide what he should do, IF he can operate his own business, that he worked his entire life for, in a safe, responsible, post covid world?

My niece is a nurse that is furloughed, and will be, for some time.

I'm getting a sense there may be some disconnect from different rural areas, and the actual job market.

Im just gonna say. As a trump guy, He made a mistake putting the reopening in the hands of the Governors. It should have been a Universal reopening thats why you have people frustrated in NYC, NJ, Michigan etc because they see other states and people and businesses coming back online. It should have been like I think the president originally planned more of a Universal reopening.
You don’t say

he’ll be governor as long as he wants.

You better hope Trump loses the election this November. Because he said tonight if a second wave hits the country will not be shutdown again the people will not stand for it.

I'm very sorry for your brother. Many haven't hung on here and shutdown for good as a result of low demand. We don't have an outbreak here and some of that is low population density more than anything. Everyone worries about their health here too including the health risks from being tossed into poverty. Clearly if the virus was rampant here there would be different takes.

Thx. That‘s also true. There are untold health risks with not working, not earning income, sitting around, etc.

Hospitals are in big trouble too. They are not seeing their regular patients, so elective surgery is not happening, which is where the highest profits are. Costs for Covid patients is through the roof and many patients do not have health insurance.

I’d like to get back to the economy we had just 6 months ago, if safe to do so.

Last edited:
You better hope Trump loses the election this November. Because he said tonight if a second wave hits the country will not be shutdown again the people will not stand for it.

sad you don’t want both but prefer just letting people die. It won’t happen per your dream.

He may lose because he botched this thing from the start. A terrible economy, historic unemployment and 150k dead Americans will be the reason he loses. If. We have a second wave, companies will lock down. You going to get mad at them?

Umm... I would never recommend a 70 year old go work at a hospital, walmart, or senior living center. I'd much prefer him not to. But why should any of us decide what he should do, IF he can operate his own business, that he worked his entire life for, in a safe, responsible, post covid world?

My niece is a nurse that is furloughed, and will be, for some time.

I'm getting a sense there may be some disconnect from different rural areas, and the actual job market.

I don‘t disagree. I have a friend that is a nurse. She’s worried about being furloughed. Not a lot of outpatient cardiac surgery right now.

I saw something today that said if we had locked down a week prior, 36,000 less people would have died. Is that on Trump? Maybe if he had taken this seriously in the first place...
Thats a political hot take. March 2, NY health secretary said go about your business, no worries. Same day, Cuomo said we will not be like other countries, we are prepared. March 10, Diblazio said it was no different than the flu. The study uses March 1 and 8, iirc.

I dont blame them for those statements. I'd be a political hack if I did. Hindsight is 2020. At that point, a shutdown would have been seen as a Hitler move, by a mad, power hungry dictator, by both supporters and opponents. The study is interesting, but in no way does it reflect the realities that existed at that time.

Uncle Rico would have won states if coach had put him in, in the 4th quarter. Just saying.

Thats a political hot take. March 2, NY health secretary said go about your business, no worries. Same day, Cuomo said we will not be like other countries, we are prepared. March 10, Diblazio said it was no different than the flu.

I dont blame them for those statements. I'd be a political hack if I did. Hindsight is 2020. At that point, a shutdown would have been seen as a Hitler move, by a mad, power hungry dictator, by both supporters and opponents. The study is interesting, but in no way does it reflect the realities that existed at that time.

Uncle Rico would won states if coach had put him in, in the 4th quarter. Just saying.

Had to give you a like for that last sentence. Lol.

sad you don’t want both but prefer just letting people die. It won’t happen per your dream.

I was just saying right from the Presidents mouth cause you have been spouting off at me when the country gets locked down again with a second wave you said it will because of me and people like me across the country well here its from the presidents mouth. If and its a big if cause nobody knows a second wave comes there won't be another shutdown and the people wouldn't stand for it. You don't have to like him u don't have to vote for him in November but he is our president.

I was just saying right from the Presidents mouth cause you have been spouting off at me when the country gets locked down again with a second wave you said it will because of me and people like me across the country well here its from the presidents mouth. If and its a big if cause nobody knows a second wave comes there won't be another shutdown and the people wouldn't stand for it. You don't have to like him u don't have to vote for him in November but he is our president.

states will shut down if they want to. And I never said the country would be shut down with another wave. Certain aspects will be though.

trump can’t close or open a state.
10th amendment. I thought many on the right felt they had a good understanding of said document?

Again. If a state wants to shutdown,with supporting evidence,they have every constitutional right to do so. Its passed legal muster, many times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.