New Clemson Athletic Facility | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New Clemson Athletic Facility

Can't speak for gmoney, but I've personally seen Memphis, Cincinnati, Jacksonville State, Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Birmingham Southern (D3), MTSU, Vanderbilt, South Alabama, Ole Miss, Western Michigan; those are the ones I can remember. Of those, we're on par with South Alabama, Ole Miss, Memphis, and (maybe) JSU. Western Michigan now has a few billionaire donors, and a number of multi-millionaire donors, willing to throw a ton of money at the program and the school. We've got better bling than MTSU and Birmingham Southern. Ole Miss, if I remember correctly, was improving/building stuff. South Alabama now has the money to finally build their on-campus stadium and improve their current facilities. It'll take them a few years, though. The others are better than SU.

All that being said why did you send your kid to SU then?

Maryland is doing their indoor facility now,,,and yet somehow their lockers beat the heck outta the Texas lockers last week.

My point is at some level it's diminishing returns.

Agree. I don't think anyone wants or believes we can compete with these schools. But at the very least we need to compete with pier schools. Does a tomb looking locker room with cheap plywood lockers and a rug with the wrong shades of blue and orange say on par. No one on their right mind can say that. Yes it's an upgrade from a poor high school locker room but that's all it is.

You're making crap up, I'll bet Kaiser's next hundred beers that you've never stepped foot into any of our locker rooms and seen the wood, etc...

Depends on what you want. If you want to compete with FSU, Clemson, 'Bama, Tennessee, Florida, etc, or the more affluent G5 programs, you're pretty much lacking everything. If it makes you feel any better, SU is pretty much on par with Ole Miss, Memphis, Southern Miss, South Alabama, etc. in terms of facilities and such.
I guess that's what I'm curious about. I don't expect us to ever compete with the factories, but amoungst FBS and P5 schools, where do we fall and what is needed? I know you've mentioned access to quality food and nutritionists. Are we behind peer schools with S&C equipment/facilities, rehab facilities/staff, academic support, player lounge/furniture, fun extras like TVs, video games, putting greens, indoor electric go cart racetracks, etc.

Like someone said earlier we need to catch up on the essentials like access to quality nutrition and should invest wisely in budget friendly dress up.

All that being said why did you send your kid to SU then?

Maryland is doing their indoor facility now,,,and yet somehow their lockers beat the heck outta the Texas lockers last week.

My point is at some level it's diminishing returns.
He chose SU because of Daoust and Bullough. Would bet my kidneys that the reason DeVito, Pierce, Sampson, and White committed are Babers and his staff. Trust me when I say it wasn't because of the facilities.

And I say, that as of right now, the least of SU's worries are "diminishing returns" as it pertains to facilities, etc.

image.jpg
"pier schools"??? How many schools actually have docking facilities for the wealthy yacht owners?
Mike Hopkins school has something cool on the water.

I guess that's what I'm curious about. I don't expect us to ever compete with the factories, but amoungst FBS and P5 schools, where do we fall and what is needed? I know you've mentioned access to quality food and nutritionists. Are we behind peer schools with S&C equipment/facilities, rehab facilities/staff, academic support, player lounge/furniture, fun extras like TVs, video games, putting greens, indoor electric go cart racetracks, etc.

Like someone said earlier we need to catch up on the essentials like access to quality nutrition and should invest wisely in budget friendly dress up.

Yes.

We're probably a bit better when compared mid-level G5 programs.

For everyone complaining, cut a check when you can, if you can. Syracuse is a small, private school that just happens to have a football team. For the success the University has attained with no big time boosters is a miracle in itself. This University has the rich and wealthy alumni. It is on the Syverud to repair the relationships that were damaged and establish new ones with those that haven't. That's how the problem is solved. The ACC payout has to be spread throughout the department to account for the money the other sports lose.

For everyone complaining, cut a check when you can, if you can.
IMG_0579.JPG

The fact that I continue to go watch this team in the Dome the last 15 years is my donation. Hell, I should be able to claim this as a charitable contribution on my taxes.

You're putting an awful lot of words in my mouth...
I am. Look at the context of the conversation. We're talking about Clemson's over the top facility. You asked why we have a program then. The implication is that we shouldn't have a program if we can't spend money like Clemson.

I'll take one more stab at this for our "special" members of the board like you sufandu. The post I replied to was pointing out that the locker room at Manley was the one that mattered. Not the one at the Dome. I said they both suck, which they do compared to almost every P5 school, some non P5 schools and even many high schools in football factory areas.

Do you comprehend the evolution of the tread now? I didn't bring it off track. I was just pointing out the obvious to everyone else except you and a hand full of people on this board.

Also if you bothered reading the thread before you post you would see that I said that I'm not in favor of dumping a ton of money on locker rooms. I think the money could be better used in other places for a university that will never be in the same stratosphere as the Jones.
I understand the status of our facilities just fine. I even respect you having an opinion about it. What I don't respect is the dickish manner with which you express it. I purposely responded in a dickish manner.

I actually appreciate people that provide insight or intelligent opinion. Saying "xyz sucks" isn't that. I've enjoyed the back and forth with bcubs9497. He contributes respectfully, despite having more reason than most to care nothing about our program.

IMO, private universities without high level donors (and endowments) and with lower undergraduate student enrollments will always be behind spending on major football programs.

I wish we could compete against the large public schools that invest heavily on facilities, but I just don't see it happening. We have more in common with Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Duke, USC, Vandy, BC, and Wake then FSU and Clemson. BTW, Cuse is behind all of those private schools in size of endowment other than Wake.

Only way Cuse invests a significant amount in football facilities is if a high level donor specifically says, "Here's $50M to go towards the Dome and Manley." I guarantee you that if there is an alum out there with that kind of coin, they are also being targeted by Advancement to direct those funds elsewhere at the university.
Yeah. I just looked at some pics of Stanford's too. Other than dressup stuff, they weren't that different. The rows were actually closer together than SU's. It had a nice drop ceiling, but that versus the exposed industrial style is more about personal preference. If the player lounge is similar to Jackson St like bcub said, that certainly needs an upgrade along with the functional stuff you mentioned.

Wow. Does SU really lack a conference room for team meetings like that or was that meant to illustrate that the player lounges are similar?
They're similar.

I don't think he is saying that. I think he's refering to our culture in general. We worship sports and demonstrate that by how we spend/donate our money. There is research for cancer, ALS, HIV, various genetic disorders, etc. that would benefit from the money being donated to schools in the hopes that we impress 17 year olds to come play for our team so that we can be entertained. Of course there is nothing wrong with rooting for our teams, but it should be prioritized properly.
You summed that up for me perfectly.

For everyone complaining, cut a check when you can, if you can. Syracuse is a small, private school that just happens to have a football team. For the success the University has attained with no big time boosters is a miracle in itself. This University has the rich and wealthy alumni. It is on the Syverud to repair the relationships that were damaged and establish new ones with those that haven't. That's how the problem is solved. The ACC payout has to be spread throughout the department to account for the money the other sports lose.
I agree with this post, but on the donor front, SU seems to frustrate its graduates. I am not entirely sure why, maybe it's as simple as the high tuition historically but when you combine that with athletic spending, or Dome renovation, alumni tend to think about spending money so local residents can have a better seat, or scholarship athletes can play more x-box while there is little to no spending on academic facilities or better educators, creating devaluation of the degree they spent so much on, you can see some of the challenges with fund raising. Now make that worse by having a previous administration that literally had a negative impact on the ratings while spending to improve Centro routes and downtown warehouses, you have a steep hill to climb.

You're making crap up, I'll bet Kaiser's next hundred beers that you've never stepped foot into any of our locker rooms and seen the wood, etc...
No I haven't been in there but I can tell quality furniture. Zoom in on the lockers they are mostly plywood. You can see the edge banding. But yeah clearly I just make stuff up

No I haven't been in there but I can tell quality furniture. Zoom in on the lockers they are mostly plywood. You can see the edge banding. But yeah clearly I just make stuff up

I've seen them up close and you're wrong. Also saw what it was before and those did stink.

I've seen them up close and you're wrong. Also saw what it was before and those did stink.
Well unless they decided to put an edge banding on for the heck of it then it's plywood. Looks to me like a cabinet grade plywood or Syracuse somehow found the widest boards in existence. There aren't any seams where boards were joined together to make them wider. The bases maybe but I don't see anything on the walls. I'm not saying they are bad just not very high end. I build cabinets and furniture as a hobby so i know what to look for.

Well unless they decided to put an edge banding on for the heck of it then it's plywood. Looks to me like a cabinet grade plywood or Syracuse somehow found the widest boards in existence. There aren't any seams where boards were joined together to make them wider. The bases maybe but I don't see anything on the walls. I'm not saying they are bad just not very high end. I build cabinets and furniture as a hobby so i know what to look for.

Understood and I am a bit of a snob with stuff. When I saw them I thought the furniture was fine, the layout bugged me (rows and not open space).

Honestly the sweetest locker room was women's lax.

Understood and I am a bit of a snob with stuff. When I saw them I thought the furniture was fine, the layout bugged me (rows and not open space).

Yeah they aren't horrible but the build lacks the wow. I get the fact these aren't the main locker rooms but I think we need every advantage we can get and this just isn't the wow we need. These builds should have us complaining they spent too much not man these would have been great ten years ago. I just hope this was a stop gap for the remodel or new stadium

Why the heck doesn't Stickley donate then? :)