Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

I know Spallina had 4g and 2a. But looking at the box score... he took 15 shots. There was 76 shots for his team on the day and he took 22% of them. I used to coach a kid that transferred out and it seems like a lot of people are on the way out because of the coaching circus, but mainly because people dont want to deal with the Spallina show. Including Dordevic. I know hes the #1 recruit but I hope hes worth it and we dont have another Jordan Evans/Scanlan on our hands. Hope can live up to the hype while also making the team better
What was the issue with Jordan Evans? Other than he was a #1 recruit who didn't live up to his billing? From all my interactions with him starting in HS he was good and respectful kid. He was a team first type of guy. He had unrealistic expectations placed on him at SU based on his recruiting rankings but I don't ever remember him being an issue like Scanlan.

Regarding these underclassmen - let them transfer. Sounds like they don't want to out work a talented incoming freshmen class. If that's the case, then regardless of their status, they can go elsewhere. Hard to fix a poor work ethic.
Exactly if they are to nervous to compete with talented freshman then they don't belong at SU anyway. This program is trying to get back to being the premier program in college lacrosse. U want to work hard and be apart of it u stay and prove u belong on the field. If not then transfer. If I was the coach that would turn me off I would tell them I want guys who want to compete and work to get on the field so feel free to transfer. BTW we got Simmons and Kirst two solid offensive players to transfer here so not sure about transfers not wanting to come. Not many offense players in the transfer portal much better then Simmons. Not saying there wasn't but the kid is legit. Now I understand if they were upper classman and just want to go to a smaller program to play but if ur young and feel u belong then work ur ass off and show the coaches. If u don't play for a few yrs then transfer ur last yr to go play somewhere. After u worked hard and just not talented enough but this is SU and playing in the top conference highest level of college lacrosse. They should have expected to compete for playing time just coming to Cuse.

What was the issue with Jordan Evans? Other than he was a #1 recruit who didn't live up to his billing? From all my interactions with him starting in HS he was good and respectful kid. He was a team first type of guy. He had unrealistic expectations placed on him at SU based on his recruiting rankings but I don't ever remember him being an issue like Scanlan.
Evans was a class act. I meant more along the lines of having to deal with the pressures of the daunting #22. There's a certain pressure put on the player when they throw on that jersey. I just hope he pans out and we're not jumping the gun by giving the # to him.

I've heard rumblings that several underclassmen went to the coaching staff with concerns and intentions to enter the portal but the coaching staff told them to feel it out through the fall. I do not want to give any names but watch how hot the portal is after the fall. Also heard that is why Cuse had a hard time getting notable offensive transfers. Not a lot of people want to go to a school where a freshman is already guaranteed the keys to the ignition.

Bull dodge to shoot isn't as effective in college, especially against ACC defenders. I've coached against this kid and the amount of picks that have to be set for him to get his hands free. There's a certain athleticism that comes with the ACC that I dont think he possesses. I also know he gets assists- but theyre usually the homerun type. I'd like a stat on how many hockey assists he gets.

Also please check out the box scores from the past few UA games and let me know who has shot over 9 shots in a game. I tried looking but couldnt find...

Who else would even leave? Corsi was one of the promising underclassmen and he already left. Birtwistle is the only other guy I can think of. There isn't anyone else I'd be to worried about. Do feel bad for Birtwistle though as he came on real strong in the second half of the season and I don't think he's going to play a whole lot now

I've heard rumblings that several underclassmen went to the coaching staff with concerns and intentions to enter the portal but the coaching staff told them to feel it out through the fall. I do not want to give any names but watch how hot the portal is after the fall. Also heard that is why Cuse had a hard time getting notable offensive transfers. Not a lot of people want to go to a school where a freshman is already guaranteed the keys to the ignition.

Bull dodge to shoot isn't as effective in college, especially against ACC defenders. I've coached against this kid and the amount of picks that have to be set for him to get his hands free. There's a certain athleticism that comes with the ACC that I dont think he possesses. I also know he gets assists- but theyre usually the homerun type. I'd like a stat on how many hockey assists he gets.

Also please check out the box scores from the past few UA games and let me know who has shot over 9 shots in a game. I tried looking but couldnt find...
Jeez dude just say you dont like the kid... He had close to 100 assist just this year, he has Hiltz like vision. If kids are worried about Joey running the show then they can leave...but they should really watch his HS games, he makes everyone around him better. Ex: Laforge, Carretta, Marsala. They wouldnt have been even half as good if it wasn't for Joeys amazing vision.

Who else would even leave? Corsi was one of the promising underclassmen and he already left. Birtwistle is the only other guy I can think of. There isn't anyone else I'd be to worried about. Do feel bad for Birtwistle though as he came on real strong in the second half of the season and I don't think he's going to play a whole lot now
Granted the names I've heard... weren't really contributors last year. But a few of them were ranked coming out of high school in the 2020 and 2021 class.

I agree Birtwistle was lights out for us the last few games of the season. I hope we're both wrong because I'm a fan of his game. But, I think it'll be tough to make that starting line up.

Jeez dude just say you dont like the kid... He had close to 100 assist just this year, he has Hiltz like vision. If kids are worried about Joey running the show then they can leave...but they should really watch his HS games, he makes everyone around him better. Ex: Laforge, Carretta, Marsala. They wouldnt have been even half as good if it wasn't for Joeys amazing vision.
LOL I don't not like the kid. I think he shoots the piss out of the ball. I just truthfully don't think he's the answer we need, ball carrying-wise. I think he lacks the athleticism/explosiveness. In a perfect world I would love an explosive dodger at X, spallina on the wing and hiltz on the lefty wing.

Did Duke have an exodus of talent when Brennan O'Neill committed? Seems like a similarly hyped freshman who puts up a lots of shots. I don't recall reading anything and Duke gets top kids every year.

Did Duke have an exodus of talent when Brennan O'Neill committed? Seems like a similarly hyped freshman who puts up a lots of shots. I don't recall reading anything and Duke gets top kids every year.
No there was not, but with O'neill... 1. Doesn't necessarily need to be a ball carrier to be productive 2. is a lefty 3. is an absolute freak. He also has the size/athleticism to play midfield, if Duke wanted. Also Duke is pretty used to getting the #1 recruits so I dont think anyone was surprised.

Two different players, two different ball games. Imagine spallina running out the box? The writing is on the wall, everyone knows where he's gonna be...

Two different players, two different ball games. Imagine spallina running out the box? The writing is on the wall, everyone knows where he's gonna be...

I know the point you are trying to make but Spallina did run out of the box a couple of times in both All Star games this summer and he didn't look out of place. In the NLF game he scored a very nice goal that way. Even Mark Dixon stated that he thought Syracuse might try and utilize him out of the box to create mismatch problems. I don't think he's an elite athlete by any stretch of the imagination but I think he's better than a lot of people think. He's faster and quicker than I think people give him credit for.

I don't think its a certainty that everything will run through Spallina next year - Hiltz is still on campus for hopefully the next three years. It was pretty evident that Syracuse was counting on Hiltz last year and things fell apart pretty quickly without him guiding the offense. Spallina isn't going to be the main guy every play like he was in high school, he's going to have to share the load with Owen.

I have no doubt that there will be more transfers after fall ball. Last year there were a bunch of kids who transferred after fall ball. I think some of them were told that there wasn't going to be a place for them come spring time. I imagine that will happen again this year if some players haven't developed enough in the offseason. It's a big roster right now and I count at least eight guys on offense I would be surprised if they got any time. I'm definitely not rooting for them to leave, but there is no way for everyone to stay happy. Another poster said last year when things weren't going well that Gait was heavily invested in the incoming freshman class, there are kids already on the roster who can probably see the writing on the wall. In some ways I am surprised more kids didn't leave (again, given the current size of the roster).

Missed parts of his 1st two seasons with injuries. He showed flashes of what he was capable of, but never quite put it all together.

See I think Birtwistle is gonna play a lot. He showed he belongs the last few games. They could leave him at attack and run Finn out of the box or move him to midfield. I think he will play this yr then next yr when more freshman are ready we won't have Simmons and Kirst so he will still play. He can be very productive so I don't see him not playing and looking to transfer. They have plans for him I would think.

See I think Birtwistle is gonna play a lot. He showed he belongs the last few games. They could leave him at attack and run Finn out of the box or move him to midfield. I think he will play this yr then next yr when more freshman are ready we won't have Simmons and Kirst so he will still play. He can be very productive so I don't see him not playing and looking to transfer. They have plans for him I would think.

That's possible but then that probably means someone like Leo is NOT playing a lot. That's to say nothing of Kempney or Rhoa whom many here assume are going to get significant playing time. They can't all play a lot. Someone is getting left out. It's just a numbers game. I'd be shocked if Birtwistle starts on attack.

as much hype for spallina i think kid will be good no doubt. One thing i’m certain of tho after watching this year and listening to gait talk I don’t see a kid even likes of spallina starting or playing without earning it in gaits eyes. To any player to scared or to worry bout playing time cause he been there longer and don’t wanna prove deserves to be on field then well sorry but next time go to school you know can play without busting your ass or least told will play without proving it. I believe only way get better is by trying to beat out guys know may be better then you even if by lil or a lot. Pushing yourself harder then have is how you will improve more. I think anyone who shows their ready and should be on field will be and Gait certainly will do so. My opinion! Either way can’t wait for this season wish was next week.

Also the potential talent we have who’s to say can’t get most guys time by running 3 mid lines or even switching up attack at times. Would certainly make it hard for teams to plan for you when throw so many guys out there who can burn ya. Also feel some kids these days care more bout their own personal stats then team wins. Get some may have pll dreams but realistically some won’t make it not saying cause not good enough just to much talent and not enough teams to fit everyone. Even some stellar pros not on rosters cause to limited. I truely admire players like death and fairman who changed from what they were so used to cause would benefit team not themselves. So honestly any player who rather be more selfish then team first i’m perfectly fine losing them to transfers even if very talented or not.

Know this is a Spallina thread, but to those worried about Rhoa not seeing as much time as Finn Thomson presumably runs out of the box - Rhoa will no doubt be on man up next season.

Also the potential talent we have who’s to say can’t get most guys time by running 3 mid lines or even switching up attack at times. Would certainly make it hard for teams to plan for you when throw so many guys out there who can burn ya. Also feel some kids these days care more bout their own personal stats then team wins. Get some may have pll dreams but realistically some won’t make it not saying cause not good enough just to much talent and not enough teams to fit everyone. Even some stellar pros not on rosters cause to limited. I truely admire players like death and fairman who changed from what they were so used to cause would benefit team not themselves. So honestly any player who rather be more selfish then team first i’m perfectly fine losing them to transfers even if very talented or not.
Yeah I can see that. Gait could get creative moving guys around and also if a lot of these young kids are ready then why not run out 3 lines and wear teams down in the 4th Q. Our guys will be fresh all game.

Yeah I can see that. Gait could get creative moving guys around and also if a lot of these young kids are ready then why not run out 3 lines and wear teams down in the 4th Q. Our guys will be fresh all game.
yea and think that’s best way to approach it. Not just to keep fresh late in games but if have injuries then have more options to fill in or move around as everyone has seen time and gotten feet wet for most part. Could be a lot of benefits and think could do same as for defense if have guys that can play. Of course in close games down to end yea maby run your top guys little more but keep steady rotation think everyone stays healthy fresh and with the different playing styles of each hard for opponents to not just game plan but make adjustments even mid game.

Main trick is to find out what each player of his is really good at or does best and find way to use those skills to the max you know Bellichk that shiz!

A team that runs three midfield lines is the Bigfoot of lacrosse. They don’t exist.

Given what will surely be a team that lacks a dominate faceoff group, possessions might be hard to come by and the need for “rest” won’t be super important. I could see them rotate a few different guys on the second line, but I don’t think a full three lines is realistic.

A team that runs three midfield lines is the Bigfoot of lacrosse. They don’t exist.

Given what will surely be a team that lacks a dominate faceoff group, possessions might be hard to come by and the need for “rest” won’t be super important. I could see them rotate a few different guys on the second line, but I don’t think a full three lines is realistic.
That is true. We might need a lot of guys mixing in on D with the Fogo situation because these guys are gonna be tired out on the field most of the game. I keep forgetting about our Fogo situation. Hope we still add a veteran who can at least battle out there. I do like the new kid but if he's not working in the weight room hard he's gonna get pushed around. Lasalla will rag doll him.

Im certainly not going to discount everything you said but some your comments simply arent accurate. SU landed two of the more sought after O players and turned down a 3rd grad guy from what inwas told who wanted to come here.

Also Spallina has been double and triple teamed the last 2+ years and hasnt shown an issue getting his hands free. Is he going to have ganes where he struggles and is there going to be a learning curve absolutely. However, Spallina is an elite level talent, go watch that all star game from a few weeks ago where he dusted Larkin, one of the best poles in the class.

That's possible but then that probably means someone like Leo is NOT playing a lot. That's to say nothing of Kempney or Rhoa whom many here assume are going to get significant playing time. They can't all play a lot. Someone is getting left out. It's just a numbers game. I'd be shocked if Birtwistle starts on attack.

Correct. This doesn't even take into account players like Cook, Fiorini, Magnan, Ferris, Tenaglia or Cordes who maybe didn't produce a ton the last few years, but have gotten playing time. Cordes was a first line midfielder when Quinn was injured. Cook has largely been forgotten this offseason (even by me when I started this post). And there are players like Finn Kelly and Blake Borges who redshirted last year but might be ready to contribute in '23.

I'd be bummed if Birtwistle was benched next season. You really couldn't have asked more from him at the end of the season, 13 goals in the last four games of the season, on 52% shooting. That's really good. He'll obviously have a lot of competition next year if he falters but he can score in a variety of ways. Plus I think he could really flourish with pure passers like Hiltz and Spallina inserted into the offense. I think it would set a bad precedent if the staff benched a player like that.

There is room for nine players seeing significant playing time between attack and two midfields next season. I would say that Hiltz, Simmons and Kirst are pretty much guaranteed to take three of those spots. Spallina is as close to a lock as you can get for an incoming freshman. My math says that leaves five open spots.

Off the top of my head, I count 8 being realistic options - Birtwistle, Thomson, Rhoa, Leo, Cordes, Borges, Kempney and Cook (when he's healthy, that is a big question mark). Personally I would like to see the freshmen take a majority of these spots since we haven't seen the more veteran players produce these last few years. Cordes is my darkhorse since he was just a freshman last year and may have made a leap. Should be a very interesting battle for playing time, that's for sure.

Off the top of my head, I count 8 being realistic options - Birtwistle, Thomson, Rhoa, Leo, Cordes, Borges, Kempney and Cook (when he's healthy, that is a big question mark). Personally I would like to see the freshmen take a majority of these spots since we haven't seen the more veteran players produce these last few years. Cordes is my darkhorse since he was just a freshman last year and may have made a leap. Should be a very interesting battle for playing time, that's for sure.
Realistically one of Spallina, Thomson, Rhoa, Kempney, or Leo will probably be playing little to no minutes next season (Spallina the least likely there of course). From some combination of one not being ready right out the gate fresh out of high school or there being an established name that outperforms them. As good as he could be, its possible Leo gets the short end of the stick since we may envision him playing attack for us but he is cleanly beaten out for minutes by Hiltz Spallina Birtwistle and Thomson. I think Kempney and Rhoa have a very good shot at second line minutes but maybe a seasoned vet is capable of more at present. Can never say never on the staff liking Birtwistles game so much that he beats out Thomson. I think he is at least capable of more off the dodge than Thomson at present. Think Birtwistle will see minutes at middie if not attack. Had some nice plays from up top last season, not just behind the cage.

A name like Ferris at attack feels impossibly far down the depth chart now. Same goes for guys like Borges or Finn Kelly finding there way into some minutes this year. It's a tough business we could see some fall transfers. To be clear that would be a transfer due to playing time concerns not the "Spallina show."