New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

New OC/QB Coach: Sterlin Gilbert

so the USF team he was oc for
2017 ran for 315, 376, 312, 390, 212, 378, 217, 279, 250
218 ran for 219, 212, 365, 346, 204, 184, 196

a few bad games too. but still thats a lot of running for pretty good yds. some of it changed when they had QB issues

also
2017 had a 500 yd passing game and 4 350 yd passing game
2018 had a 400 and 2 300 yd games.

how bad was the play calling ?

Look who those two games were against though.

Barnett was decent enough to put up some yards but going dive, dive, punt didn't get us many wins.

2018 schedule was a joke and the only tough games should've been Tulane, UCF and Houston.

Play calling was so easy to guess what was coming it was silly.

I guess we just got spoiled watching a fast high scoring offense that Taggart had us running with Flowers and Mack.

Look forward to seeing what our new coach does and can't wait to visit the Dome soon.

Look who those two games were against though.

Barnett was decent enough to put up some yards but going dive, dive, punt didn't get us many wins.

2018 schedule was a joke and the only tough games should've been Tulane, UCF and Houston.

Play calling was so easy to guess what was coming it was silly.

I guess we just got spoiled watching a fast high scoring offense that Taggart had us running with Flowers and Mack.

Look forward to seeing what our new coach does and can't wait to visit the Dome soon.
USF.png

I didn't watch USF play almost at all while Gilbert was the OC. From what I saw, he did a good job leveraging what he had available to use but I didn't see much.

Thought it would be a good idea to look at the numbers. They tend to provide valuable insight and have not prejudice.

Gilbert was the OC in 2017 and 2018. USF had a really good offense in 2016. Gilbert took it to the next level, got the rushing game up to par with the passing game. They went from 11th to 6th in total offense. If you are unhappy with a team that finishes 6th in the country in total offense, I don't know what to tell you.

The next season, Flowers was gone. The new QB ran it okay, not as well as Flowers, but okay. But he had 12 TDs and 12 interceptions. Could not throw it. I don't blame the OC here. Especially given the QB was even less successful after Sterlin left (as was the whole offense).

To me, the most telling thing is the absolute collapse of the offense after Sterlin left.

View attachment 175458

I didn't watch USF play almost at all while Gilbert was the OC. From what I saw, he did a good job leveraging what he had available to use but I didn't see much.

Thought it would be a good idea to look at the numbers. They tend to provide valuable insight and have not prejudice.

Gilbert was the OC in 2017 and 2018. USF had a really good offense in 2016. Gilbert took it to the next level, got the rushing game up to par with the passing game. They went from 11th to 6th in total offense. If you are unhappy with a team that finishes 6th in the country in total offense, I don't know what to tell you.

The next season, Flowers was gone. The new QB ran it okay, not as well as Flowers, but okay. But he had 12 TDs and 12 interceptions. Could not throw it. I don't blame the OC here. Especially given the QB was even less successful after Sterlin left (as was the whole offense).

To me, the most telling thing is the absolute collapse of the offense after Sterlin left.

I get where you're coming from but those stats are a bit deceiving.
I hope SG works out there and they score a ton of points honestly.

The AAC is garbage and I look forward to seeing what he can do with ACC level talent.

Personally after two years of seeing his offense and play calling, I don't expect much but only time will tell.

He ran about 7 different plays every week which won't work in the big boy league.

My guess would be that Dino sits down with Gilbert and updates him on what he has seen regarding the ACC adjusting to his offense and like the mad scientists OCs are will look at morphing things some. Maybe some new looks, routes out of certain formations, etc. It will partly have Gilbert's DNA and partly Dinos. It should be fun...

The biggest value-add imo will be how he develops the qb position. He has gotten very good production out of his qb's at every stop. I thought what he pulled off with Shane Buechele as a freshman at Texas was nothing short of a miracle. His qb's always seem to play with a noticeable confidence and execute at a high level. That will be a huge step forward this year, imo.

The AAC is garbage and I look forward to seeing what he can do with ACC level talent.

Personally after two years of seeing his offense and play calling, I don't expect much but only time will tell.

He ran about 7 different plays every week which won't work in the big boy league.

We won 10 games in a big boy league running 7 plays.

One thing you don’t understand is the complexity of putting this offense in.

Dino said it takes at least a year and a half for the reps and conditioning to kick in fully. He was right.

You guys were too impatient and paid a horrible price when you got rid of Sterlin. Look at the damage done after he left. Good luck with the rebuild. Scott was a pretty good OC. Hope he can make things work for you down there.

Also hope we schedule a home and home with USF soon. Tampa is a great place to visit, hopefully in November.

The one thing I will always remember from Major Applewhite when he was on staff here in 2005 was being at Chuck’s with him there and him rambling about us Yankees drinking that Labatt Blue chit. He went on about how Texans didn’t drink that stuff.
I wonder if that will be an issue for Gilbert.

The one thing I will always remember from Major Applewhite when he was on staff here in 2005 was being at Chuck’s with him there and him rambling about us Yankees drinking that Labatt Blue chit. He went on about how Texans didn’t drink that stuff.
That sounds like an immature man child looking for a reason to get out of Dodge as fast as he could.

I don't take kind to guys who cheat on their wives with student trainers, but I digress.

Yeah, they drink Lone Star and Bud longnecks. Real beer aficionados.

You can get Shiner Bock in CNY now...he'll be good. Trust me.

No one really drinks Lone Star in Texas. Mostly just tourons.

Shiner Bock is the local beer of choice along with the dozens and dozens of craft beers now for the beer aficionados and posers alike.

Way back when, when I went to the Broken Spoke, those were the beers of choice. Times change. Everybody drinks craft beer now. Guess that why Bud is snapping up craft breweries now.

Didja ever see Gary P. Nunn? He was performing there that night. I got a t-shirt.

Way back when, when I went to the Broken Spoke, those were the beers of choice. Times change. Everybody drinks craft beer now. Guess that why Bud is snapping up craft breweries now.

Didja ever see Gary P. Nunn? He was performing there that night. I got a t-shirt.
I saw Willy at Luckenbach.

The Hill Country of Texas is one of my favorite places in the World. Lived 6 years in Wimberley, TX great place

Things-to-do-in-Wimberley-Texas-this-weekend.png

Ranch-Road-32-680x390.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of Joe Ely. 'Honky Tonk Masquerade' is perhaps my fave Tex country roots album ever.

Gotta get back down there...

Shiner Bock is the local beer of choice along with the dozens and dozens of craft beers now for the beer aficionados and posers alike.
Shiner is one of my all time favorites. Buy it plenty here in OH. Back when I was at Cuse, you couldn't get it at all in NY. Glad they made it up there finally!

I can vouch for the craft beers all over austin. Just to warn visitors... for some reason there are a lot of sour beers in Austin. I think something to do with the grain here. Takes some getting used to. My favorite is anything from Live Oak.

was his offense like ours though in that when you have the numbers in the box you run more? and how much was called vs read plays?

I’d be shocked if Lynch was Co-OC. I can’t see Sterlin coming here to share the role. He was just running his own program and was THE guy at Texas.

I could see Lynch being run game coordinator which is sometimes a thing. And I could also see Lunch and Cav splitting the line btw Tackles and Guards/Center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom