New OL Coach: Steve Farmer | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Steve Farmer

I fully expect there to be more folks entering the portal after spring practice when the portal re-opens, May 1 - 15. We could add another OL at that time if the coaches feel it’s necessary.

Players who are currently in the portal* and players who enter the portal in May can be added to a roster until classes tart in the fall.

*Players currently in the portal would still need to be taking classes (JC or ?) to maintain their eligibility. The rules used to be players needed 34 units between season to be eligible. I’m not sure if this has changed.
Bingo bango bongo

There's still movement to be had

These numbers should be concerning. A couple of starters or backups get injured and you've got greenhorns as the next man up. We really should be bringing in a transfer or two before camp.

There are many interesting prospects still out there, Willie Parker here being one of them. 4 years of eligibility who had offers from all the big boys.

We're looking at 10 (maybe 11, hopefully 12) for spring practice.

Spring
RF Wes Hoeh 6-4 275
SO Josh Ilaoa 6-3 316
RJR Christopher Bleich 6-6 326
RFR Enrique Cruz Jr. 6-6 302
RSO Mark Petry 6-4 281
RSO Jakob Bradford 6-5 302
RF Austyn Kauhi 6-5 270
SO Kalan Ellis 6-6 375
FR Joe Cruz 6-5 277
GR Joe More 6-5 302

(status unknown)
RSO Anthony Red 6-5 277
JR J'Onre Reed 6-3 317

August
FR Jaydan Bass 6-6 300
FR Trevion Mack 6-6 290
JR Lysander Meolo 6-6 360

These numbers should be concerning. A couple of starters or backups get injured and you've got greenhorns as the next man up. We really should be bringing in a transfer or two before camp.

There are many interesting prospects still out there, Willie Parker here being one of them. 4 years of eligibility who had offers from all the big boys.

Spring
RF Wes Hoeh 6-4 275
SO Josh Ilaoa 6-3 316
RSO Mark Petry 6-4 281
RF Austyn Kauhi 6-5 270
SO Kalan Ellis 6-6 375
FR Joe Cruz 6-5 277
GR Joe More 6-5 302

(status unknown)
RSO Anthony Red 6-5 277
JR J'Onre Reed 6-3 317

August
FR Jaydan Bass 6-6 300
FR Trevion Mack 6-6 290
Looking at that, feels like we'll go Cruz-Ellis-Ilaoa-Bleich-More, with I'm guessing Bradford as the 6th guy.

Spring
RF Wes Hoeh 6-4 275
SO Josh Ilaoa 6-3 316
RSO Mark Petry 6-4 281
RF Austyn Kauhi 6-5 270
SO Kalan Ellis 6-6 375
FR Joe Cruz 6-5 277
GR Joe More 6-5 302

(status unknown)
RSO Anthony Red 6-5 277
JR J'Onre Reed 6-3 317

August
FR Jaydan Bass 6-6 300
FR Trevion Mack 6-6 290
i think 16 is the magic number of OL's on scholarship. We have 15?

The problem is that even with the numbers we have, or think we have, there are guys that are just fillers right now. Don't think you can play OL in the ACC at 270lbs; and we have quite a few of these types. So, actual Olinemen that can play in a game is perilously low.

i think 16 is the magic number of OL's on scholarship. We have 15?

Looks like we have potentially 13 for August unless Red and Reed can be confirmed. That would make 15 if no one leaves.

Might see Barclay shift back to offense too. It's likely that we will have 15 defensive lineman filling 3 positions for spring ball (including Lockett who will likely not participate) and one more arriving in July.

The problem is that even with the numbers we have, or think we have, there are guys that are just fillers right now. Don't think you can play OL in the ACC at 270lbs; and we have quite a few of these types. So, actual Olinemen that can play in a game is perilously low.
They also have a 330 pound guard and 315 pound center coming in. Mack and Bass coming in at 295

It seemed like Schmidt really put an emphasis on bringing in bigger guys. Do people feel the trend will continue with Farmer?

It seemed like Schmidt really put an emphasis on bringing in bigger guys. Do people feel the trend will continue with Farmer?
Based on the first players offered since he joined the staff, absolutely.

Absolutely think so. The smallest returning player on Tulsa's Oline last year was 302. They had a couple incoming freshman in the 280 range, but I'm guessing they were hoping to put some weight on them.

The only lineman we brought in under Schmidt were Schuster and Joe Cruz at 280 lbs in 2022 class. And then the 2023 class of Reed 320, Bass 295, Mack 330 and More 275 are a bigger on average. So there were no small guys there. But some of that may be in part because a couple of those guys are a little older. I think we are going to try to get the best biggest lineman we can. We aren't always successful signing the good big O lineman though. Hopefully that is a new trend with our program being up a little from where it was and we don't have to just hope some of our guys can add enough useful mass. Instead we just focus on them converting that mass to more muscle.

Also i'd think the main determining factor on OL weight would be what Beck wants to bring in for his offense.

Get back to the Orange is the new Fast philosophy. Get some talented and fast receivers in here and run and gun it.

I don't think it's the strategic advantage that it used to be. I'm happy to let the game happen in its normal flow, and let the defense rest. I'd rather not risk too many 30 second three-and-outs in a game, like we used to give up.

Hope is these new coaches bring a few players with them that they were recruiting or in portal.

Hope is these new coaches bring a few players with them that they were recruiting or in portal.
The portal is closed right now so no one is leaving. That means we only have 3 open spots.

The first and second team TEs for Rutgers for 2023 are Johnny Langdan and Victor Konopka.

Langdon attended Don Bosco. Konopka attended Bergen Catholic. Coach Nunzio spent 10 years as the OC at Don Bosco and then 8 years as the HC at Bergen Catholic.

He coached both of these guys the last couple of years as the Rutgers TE coach.

Does it mean anything? Maybe. Maybe not. Just making an observation…..