New OL Coach: Steve Farmer | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Steve Farmer

But Bass, Mack, Moeolo and hopefully Reed all arrive by July.

What is the average amount of OL's on a roster? I know it depends on each school in a sense but what does SU usually carry?

I don’t know the answer but I do know DeLeone used to say he liked 16.

Thanks Bees.

I wonder how much of a "battle" that is between the HC and coaches on numbers and their comfort level of having X/Y/Z on their roster. DeLeone obviously had some pull with Paul so he may have got the number he wanted more often than not.

Thanks Bees.

I wonder how much of a "battle" that is between the HC and coaches on numbers and their comfort level of having X/Y/Z on their roster. DeLeone obviously had some pull with Paul so he may have got the number he wanted more often than not.
You would hope that OL is an area where quick transfers are less likely - most guys need a redshirt year.

I’ve had coaches tell me they like to have 15 - three full lines.

That makes sense. Seems like the # SU has currently cross training is essential because of a lower # of OL's.

You would hope that OL is an area where quick transfers are less likely - most guys need a redshirt year.

Agreed, they have to be smart and talented enough to be thrown right on the field with the synergy needed for the group to work together and it isn't easy.

The problem with having too many OL is they can’t do much on special teams. What ever happened to Red?

True on kick off/punt returns but for blocking for XP/FG it certainly helps.

He’s crouching a bit too. Have met him - he’s bigger than this picture conveys.
You're right, looks like he is being considerate to his teammates, and not wanting to block them out of the photo. Positive tweets to Reed's commit too, even though they play the same position; seems like a good kid.

Clearly one of the most important assistant coach positions in the program.

Guy has been stationed in Tulsa OK, Lubbock TX, Logan UT, Charleston IL, and Monroe LA. All of which will make Syracuse NY in comparison feel like a garden of paradise, culture, and sophistication.
Can he teach the oline not to false start? Please!!!!

A3C83258-F1B2-43BD-BE2D-0C12BE14307A.jpeg

Who are thee guys?
L - R,
1) More ?
2) Ellis
3) Joe Cruz
4) Petry
5) Illoa
6) Bleich
7) Bradford
8) Shrader
9) Hoe
10) E. Cruz
11) Kahui
13) Coach Farmer

Ten OL in that picture with Farmer and four more coming by July. Almost three full lines.

I fully expect there to be more folks entering the portal after spring practice when the portal re-opens, May 1 - 15. We could add another OL at that time if the coaches feel it’s necessary.

Players who are currently in the portal* and players who enter the portal in May can be added to a roster until classes start in the fall.

*Players currently in the portal would still need to be taking classes (JC or ?) to maintain their eligibility. The rules used to be players needed 24 units between seasons to be eligible. I’m not sure if this has changed.

Last edited: