NIL Discussion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Discussion

Yea, that’s exactly it.
Hmm, I know my response was sarcastic, but you caught me unawares with your even more sarcastic response. :)

Is there any public information about Wildhack and his approach to NIL available besides that article behind the paywall? It really does feel like Syracuse has decided to ignore NIL entirely.

If I was a top recruit, being offered a class to help me get my own deals would have ended any conversation with Syracuse.

"Wait, Coach Autry, Duke/Kentucky/Alabama/etc. is telling me they already got me five deals worth $2 million, all I have to do is agree to go there and the cash starts flowing. And you're going to give me a chance to do the work myself? Hahahaha." <Click>

I have loved Syracuse basketball since I learned what basketball is... And I would be going elsewhere under those circumstances. Or sending my kid there.

Hmm, I know my response was sarcastic, but you caught me unawares with your even more sarcastic response. :)

Is there any public information about Wildhack and his approach to NIL available besides that article behind the paywall? It really does feel like Syracuse has decided to ignore NIL entirely.

If I was a top recruit, being offered a class to help me get my own deals would have ended any conversation with Syracuse.

"Wait, Coach Autry, Duke/Kentucky/Alabama/etc. is telling me they already got me five deals worth $2 million, all I have to do is agree to go there and the cash starts flowing. And you're going to give me a chance to do the work myself? Hahahaha." <Click>

I have loved Syracuse basketball since I learned what basketball is... And I would be going elsewhere under those circumstances. Or sending my kid there.

I was hoping you were being sarcastic but your last sentence led me to think you weren’t. The problem isn’t SU. SU has none everything they can, and it looks like some are finally stepping up, but it takes two to tangle. You need big money donors or businesses to make a big difference. SU can’t make deals not broker deals for the athletes. They can find people who want to step up and broker their own deals with players. Many su athletes have deals with local businesses but those are the types of deals that NIL was intended for and not the ones that are worth 100’s of thousands or millions of dollars. And those deals are few and far between. If one car dealer in Syracuse said they’d give a player a car, it would be great. Even that Miami QB Vandyke that got a BMW, tagged Drew Rosenhaus in his tweet. I bet Drew had something to do with him getting that car in agreement that Drew will be his NFL agent. There have been numerous articles and interviews about SU and NIL and John has been open all along. We’ve brought in numerous companies to work with the athletes on branding and marketing. But again, most of those are the smaller deals. The big holy grail ones takes others outside of SU stepping up with their pocketbooks open.

People can not share in any kind of detail what is in a paid subscription article. This isn’t anything new.

People can not share in any kind of detail what is in a paid subscription article. This isn’t anything new.
I wouldn't ask you to violate the paywall... I was just wondering if this article is literally the only place Wildhack has elucidated the athletic department strategy in this area.

I am no insider, but I'm pretty locked in, and it feels like there is no strategy.

Losing a kid like Lands because he got better legal financial offers elsewhere after he committed to me seems like just another sign the Athletic department is behind the curve.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ask you to violate the paywall... I was just wondering if this article is literally the only place Wildhack has elucidated the athletic department strategy in this area.

I am no insider, but I'm pretty locked in, and it feels like there is no strategy.

Losing a kid like Lands because he got better offers elsewhere after he committed to me seems like just another sign the Athletic department is behind the curve.

My post wasn’t meant for you. It was about a post that got deleted. I should have been clearer.

The one thing I wonder about these boosters who are putting out millions of dollars for NIL, is it perpetual or sustainable?

Hopefully no.

The idea of basically funding a shadow athletic department superpac like discussed in the Wildhack piece is just gross.

The one thing I wonder about these boosters who are putting out millions of dollars for NIL, is it perpetual or sustainable?
Depends on if they are getting any type of return on their investment. These guys are businessmen. It can't be just for their ego. Unless they are so filthy rich. Or just looking for a tax write-off.

Hopefully no.

The idea of basically funding a shadow athletic department superpac like discussed in the Wildhack piece is just gross.
Not being jerk but why is it gross?

Not being jerk but why is it gross?

The AD has been pretty good through the years asking for brick and mortar type stuff (turf, building, etc) or the AD fund that helps Dino with private travel for recruiting.

If a dollar is going to be spent - at least by me - it's going to stuff like that. Not to pay a scholarship athlete who already gets stuff and be a part of a teenage bidding war.

The AD has been pretty good through the years asking for brick and mortar type stuff (turf, building, etc) or the AD fund that helps Dino with private travel for recruiting.

If a dollar is going to be spent - at least by me - it's going to stuff like that. Not to pay a scholarship athlete who already gets stuff and be a part of a teenage bidding war.
Thanks - I was just curious, and totally respect your view. The AD hinted at the rob Peter to pay Paul scenario (facilities vs players) in his comments. I'm personally good with the player getting money, but totally see the other side too. My big concern is only a few schools will be able to handle both and I don't think we will be one of them.

Amen! I couldn't agree more.

At first thought no, but second thought, some of these guys have been funneling money in like it’s water, do the heavy pocketed boosters just stop doing what they’ve been doing before NIL? The ROI on these deals can’t be great unless you’re looking at local ads or pitching a product.

Buddy is literally the perfect kid to cash checks in the Syracuse market, the name, the smile, and the talent. I don’t know if he maxed out his earnings but it will take a special player to out earn him, that could be tough to entice a kid to come here when we see money just flying around everywhere else.

Basically had an NIL deal in place to get him to transfer to Miami

People can defend Wildhack all they want but every day that Syracuse is not announcing deals like this is another day that Syracuse falls behind. It's all about perception and right now the perception is that Syracuse is playing in the minor leagues and a lot of these other schools are playing in the Big Show.

Why? The floodgates have opened for some in 2022 while others are still sitting on the sidelines.

Do you think the Miami AD or the school are putting up this money? These are billionaires with ties to UM.

Why? The floodgates have opened for some in 2022 while others are still sitting on the sidelines.
I think the difference with this is the public nature of the numbers. Oscar Tshiebwe worked with his complaince office to get NIL deals as a visa student and is rumored to have a $2M deal for next year.

People can defend Wildhack all they want but every day that Syracuse is not announcing deals like this is another day that Syracuse falls behind. It's all about perception and right now the perception is that Syracuse is playing in the minor leagues and a lot of these other schools are playing in the Big Show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom