NIL Discussion | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Discussion

Do you think the Miami AD or the school are putting up this money? These are billionaires with ties to UM.
That's exactly why I posted the info about the endowments the other day. Syracuse is not a poor school. It has a lot of alumni who support the school. Syracuse is at 1.8 Billion while U of Miami is at 1.39 Billion. Syracuse just needs to talk to their alumni who are passionate about sports and get them to buck up before it's too late. That's what Wildhack and Syverud get paid to do.

There’s 0% chance LifeWallet knows who Nijel Pack is without some communication with the Miami coaching staff. They have better things to do than to be aware of a Kansas State transfer.

The who is totally different than who is putting up money.

That's exactly why I posted the info about the endowments the other day. Syracuse is not a poor school. It has a lot of alumni who support the school. Syracuse is at 1.8 Billion while U of Miami is at 1.39 Billion. Syracuse just needs to talk to their alumni who are passionate about sports and get them to buck up before it's too late. That's what Wildhack and Syverud get paid to do.

A schools endowment has nothing to do with billionaire fans wanting to buy players for their school.

A schools endowment has nothing to do with billionaire fans wanting to buy players for their school.
I'll agree to disagree. People (alumni) are showing a willingness to donate the Syracuse's fundraising efforts. In 2022 you need to offer more that the ability to play for a HOF coach in the largest on-campus arena. Every booster (me, you and a ton of people a lot richer than us) need to be involved. Or at least a selected few if they are talking seven figures.

I cant believe that we are actually looking at the beginning of the end of college sports as we have known them. At this point i dont see anyway it can be regulated. The only hope is that the schools themselves will police this but im not sure how.

I cant believe that we are actually looking at the beginning of the end of college sports as we have known them. At this point i dont see anyway it can be regulated. The only hope is that the schools themselves will police this but im not sure how.
I think the issue is that the NCAA says you “can’t use NIL for recruiting” but there aren’t any punishments from the NCAA. Schools aren’t going to police themselves lol.

Right but to say that anyone associated with Miami was not involved with the coordination of the NIL deal is ignorance.

Who said that? Of course the payer has to know who to pay.

Nobody has policed Duke and UK for decades. Not sure what the big deal is.

So this means he's essentially going to play pros in a development league instead of amateurs until he can start getting NIL deals in college and then move on to the NBA?

So this means he's essentially going to play pros in a development league instead of amateurs until he can start getting NIL deals in college and then move on to the NBA?
It's still a prep school league. He'll be playing against the other Overtime team members and some games against other prep schools. For example, they played Trey Autry's team this past year (and beat the ever loving piss out of them I might add; they won one of their games against Autry 72-25).

The difference is most of the Overtime team members are being paid a salary and therefore ineligible to go on to college ball when they graduate. Cunningham is forgoing the salary to maintain his options.

It's still a prep school league. He'll be playing against the other Overtime team members and some games against other prep schools. For example, they played Trey Autry's team this past year (and beat the ever loving piss out of them I might add; they won one of their games against Autry 72-25).

The difference is most of the Overtime team members are being paid a salary and therefore ineligible to go on to college ball when they graduate. Cunningham is forgoing the salary to maintain his options.
Thanks

I think the issue is that the NCAA says you “can’t use NIL for recruiting” but there aren’t any punishments from the NCAA. Schools aren’t going to police themselves lol.
Yup, it's the NCAA trying to put into effect a policy that makes little sense and is nearly impossible to enforce. I know, that doesn't seem like the NCAA at all.

Yup, it's the NCAA trying to put into effect a policy that makes little sense and is nearly impossible to enforce. I know, that doesn't seem like the NCAA at all.

I think Georgia passed a law superceding NCAA rules, and rather than just letting Georgia schools buy every player, they just left the barn doors open with no plan for keeping the animals on the farm. No, not like the NCAA at all...

This K-State writer made an insightful point that player unionization may be the only hope at regulating the Wild West or the NIL era, because the NCAA may be too afraid to act.

“This is the new world, ladies and gentlemen. Once the decisions — morally correct ones, by the way — were made to give athletes the freedom to profit from their own image as well as choose to transfer, the barn door was completely blown off its hinges. There is no meaningful regulatory prescription for this that doesn’t impinge on the athlete’s right to market themselves, and no meaningful way to prevent schools from using businesses as proxies to recruit.”

“The long and short of it is this: if the idea of competitive balance is that important, the only — only — solution is the unionization of athletes. That will allow for collective bargaining between the NCAA and the players in order to potentially restrain this Wild West chaos. Until then, buckle up and get used to the new paradigm.”

Last edited:
This K-State writer made an insightful point that player unionization may be the only hope at regulating the Wild West or the NIL era, because the NCAA may be too afraid to act.

“This is the new world, ladies and gentlemen. Once the decisions — morally correct ones, by the way — were made to give athletes the freedom to profit from their own image as well as choose to transfer, the barn door was completely blown off its hinges. There is no meaningful regulatory prescription for this that doesn’t impinge on the athlete’s right to market themselves, and no meaningful way to prevent schools from using businesses as proxies to recruit.”

“The long and short of it is this: if the idea of competitive balance is that important, the only — only — solution is the unionization of athletes. That will allow for collective bargaining between the NCAA and the players in order to potentially restrain this Wild West chaos. Until then, buckle up and get used to the new paradigm.”
Sherm, I think it was you that said somewhere that JB has grossly miscalculated the amounts players would be receiving, saying it would only be the star players.

All it takes is 1 donor/alum who wants to gamble his money on trying to get better players.

At the same time, I think the market will eventually settle. For example, can Texas A&M keep this up every year in football recruiting?

If I'm JW, I start thinking for Compliance to ease up on being conservative. Theres no enforcement right now and I would test the limits until you see enforcement and a case study. Heck theres not even the Yahoo Sports articles like the ones that exposed Reggie Bush's family. You know the old saying, "those who hesitate..."

This isn't much different than sports academies that are run all over Europe and South America looking for the next superstar soccer or tennis player. It's what college sports should be like for revenue sports. Instead the NCAA was laser focused on keeping all of that revenue away from the labor and in the hands of the administrators and coaches.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. You can't keep cashing billion dollar checks and not expect people to want their cut.

To think schools were not involved was very naive from some people on this board.

Involved in what?

The box is open.

OIP.2VgwC0uUkVhc2vNE9I7TfAHaEO.jpeg

boosters now have every legal loop hole needed to buy whatever team they can afford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom