NIL Discussion | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Discussion

Plus McGusty,a 6th year senior, was actually the star on the team. Wong should be the leader this upcoming year. McGusty should sue for back pay. :rolleyes:
McGusty, along with Leaky Black, are two of the best names to have ever played the sport.

He’s not a one man show. These very ADs and their own administrators are as much of the problem.
I realize the NCAA goverance and yes the ADs are culpable. Still Mark has been beyond inept and deserves the majority of the blame.

Imagine what the Pearl, Ewing, DC, Shaq, the Fab Five, Grant Hill, etc. could’ve gotten from NIL?

I don’t even know who most of these kids on the good teams are.
Speaking of the Fab Five, Chris Webber got a six-figure payout in a birthday cake from a booster.

Speaking of the Fab Five, Chris Webber got a six-figure payout in a birthday cake from a booster.
Right.

If he could’ve gotten paid for all those #4 jerseys sold, and all those Nike shoes and black socks sold though?

The recruiting success the womens basketball team seems to be having doesn’t appear to be NIL related. The portal is working for FLJ without bags.

The recruiting success the womens basketball team seems to be having doesn’t appear to be NIL related. The portal is working for FLJ without bags.
Women's basketball seems like it is a couple decades behind the men. The lack of money has kept it a lot purer.

Most of the players seem to care primarily about the team, not themselves.

Hope it (the team orientation) stays that way for a while longer.

Of course you have to create some parity and a level playing field through guardrails and regulation. Even the pro leagues do it with salary caps, free agency, etc. The Power 5 conference programs are bigger than each of the pro leagues. You still have to try and create a level playing field within the Power 5.
Valid point - It's also worth noting that many (if not most) Euro leagues exist without salary caps, drafts, revenue sharing etc.

I think the NCAA just put these “retroactive rules” but then want the Fed Gov to help enforce them like the FBI scandal lol.

Last edited:
The issue is equal and full enforcement. If there’s no teeth to this or the NCAA continues to avoid going after large land grant state powers to steer clear of political complications, nothing will change except for those smaller, less powerful schools who can’t afford to fight them.

I can hear the old plausible deniability strategy - “how were we to know what boosters were offering?” defense, going viral. Tough for the NCAA to punish any big time issues after vindicating UNC from the lack of institutional control charge from those no show academic classes.

I was actually cool with the NCAA ceasing to pretend to care... At least they were being honest. And there is something romantic about college sports with the haves and the have nots. It's like Hoosiers. If we manage to win a national title in football or basketball now, it will be David and Goliath, with our mostly amateurs going up against highly paid pros.

Whether I'll still be a fan, or if I'll be paying attention to actual pros instead, it's hard to say.

Love it!

We need something like this. I should be able to buy a shirsey for anyone on the revenue sports teams. Or any student-athlete.
Prime example why those shark tank kids should have partnered with Cuban. Not sure if Cuban is partnered with this NIL company but can those kids get these kind of deals done all by themselves.

Last edited:

We need something like this. I should be able to buy a shirsey for anyone on the revenue sports teams. Or any student-athlete.

Is this different than players trunk?

Is this different than players trunk?
In theory, probably not. On that link, Campus Ink claims to be the largest NIL company, but the key is who can lock up the most schools. However, if IU signed with Campus Ink, wouldn't it seem to go against the concept of NIL, that the players can make their own deals.

Which brings us to this link on the IU page which is from last August. IU has every student-athlete listed with their Twitter and Instagram accounts listed to make it easier to contact the students directly to make deals. Is Cuse doing that?

In theory, probably not. On that link, Campus Ink claims to be the largest NIL company, but the key is who can lock up the most schools. However, if IU signed with Campus Ink, wouldn't it seem to go against the concept of NIL, that the players can make their own deals.

Which brings us to this link on the IU page which is from last August. IU has every student-athlete listed with their Twitter and Instagram accounts listed to make it easier to contact the students directly to make deals. Is Cuse doing that?

Yes SU is. They use Inflcr which is the largest in the business. Every SU athlete is in the database with the ability for an approved NIL group like the Fine Mess to reach out to individual players.

Yes SU is. They use Inflcr which is the largest in the business. Every SU athlete is in the database with the ability for an approved NIL group like the Fine Mess to reach out to individual players.

Gotcha. Approved groups have access to the students. Makes sense. I thought it was a little weird that IU gives everyone access to every student-athletes social media information. Not that it's not public information but why make it so convenient for any Joe.

Gotcha. Approved groups have access to the students. Makes sense. I thought it was a little weird that IU gives everyone access to every student-athletes social media information. Not that it's not public information but why make it so convenient for any Joe.

What Indiana is doing is making it easier to contact a player through their social media rather than having to find them on twitter or Instagram which can be done by anyone. We can do that ourselves if we wanted to. Many posts here have been made linking a players social media. The Inflcr system not only allows you to contact the player but also lists the NIL opportunities and any requirements etc. and is almost like a job listing which allows for the player to reach out too.

Oh no... It's retroactive. This means we're getting the death penalty for giving Ballard two slices and a Coke off campus.
He only got one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom