NIL | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

The article doesn’t say boosters can pay recruits. It’s been illegal and still is.

They can't pay them DIRECTLY, in pay-for-play recruiting scenarios. But they can use them for local advertising (for my Mazerati dealership rather than Buddy Buckets t-shirts), or for pooled benefits that are not strictly pay-for-play quid-pro-quo's.

From the article that you apparently didn't read on FiveThirtyEight:

"The news may have reverberated more had the NCAA not specifically approved months ago that boosters — who have been banned historically from facilitating benefits to athletes and their family members — are free to enter into NIL agreements provided they operate independent of the university and its athletic department. They cannot push contracts to induce athletes to enroll, either. But that didn’t stop Texas’s Clark Field Collective from providing $50,000 to every Longhorns offensive lineman on scholarship or Built Brands from providing free tuition for every one of BYU’s 36 walk-on players.

The NCAA defines boosters as “any third-party entity that promotes an athletics program, assists with recruiting or assists with providing benefits to recruits, enrolled student-athletes or their family members.” This catch-all label could also include collectives, or groups typically founded by university alumni that pool and allocate financial resources for athletes by way of NIL contracts. "

This is what the NCAA said in its July 1, 2021 guidance:

"12. Can individuals enter into NIL agreements with boosters? Yes, provided the activity is in accordance with state laws and school policy, is not an impermissible inducement and it does not constitute pay-for-play.

13. Do other sections of NCAA Bylaw 12 outside of NIL still apply under the interim policy? Individuals and institutions in states with NIL laws or executive actions with the force of law in effect: NCAA rules, including prohibitions on pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements, remain in effect, but NIL activities protected by state law will not impact eligibility. Individuals where there is no state law or executive actions: If an individual chooses to engage in an NIL activity, eligibility will not be impacted by NCAA amateurism and athletics eligibility bylaws, but other NCAA rules, including prohibitions on pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements remain in effect."

So, if it's advertising for a local business, or promotional appearances, or benefits given to groups of athletes, but not singled out as a "bag for that guy to come to my school", then it's all OK. THE NCAA SAID SO.

A year ago, the NCAA thought of these collectives as banding together to invest in bringing student athletes into the community, like public appearances at Boys & Girls Clubs, or stuff like that. They probably also thought of collectives as a natural extension of initiatives that college athletic departments put together to invest in facilities, or promoting local businesses.

Boosters giving $50,000 to every lineman, or scholarships to every walk-on, toe the line. You are not paying the specific player to come to your school, you're providing benefits to them all.

The NCAA cannot reverse itself now, and have it stand up in court, after it already issued a ruling that said booster groups can fund players, so long as it's not a contract to come play for my school.

That's a loophole the size of the Grand Canyon.

Sometimes I feel like you just want to argue for the hell of it, when you obviously didn't bother to read something that you've wrongly responded to about 3 times.

They can't pay them DIRECTLY, in pay-for-play recruiting scenarios. But they can use them for local advertising (for my Mazerati dealership rather than Buddy Buckets t-shirts), or for pooled benefits that are not strictly pay-for-play quid-pro-quo's.

"The news may have reverberated more had the NCAA not specifically approved months ago that boosters — who have been banned historically from facilitating benefits to athletes and their family members — are free to enter into NIL agreements provided they operate independent of the university and its athletic department. They cannot push contracts to induce athletes to enroll, either. But that didn’t stop Texas’s Clark Field Collective from providing $50,000 to every Longhorns offensive lineman on scholarship or Built Brands from providing free tuition for every one of BYU’s 36 walk-on players.

The NCAA defines boosters as “any third-party entity that promotes an athletics program, assists with recruiting or assists with providing benefits to recruits, enrolled student-athletes or their family members.” This catch-all label could also include collectives, or groups typically founded by university alumni that pool and allocate financial resources for athletes by way of NIL contracts. "

"12. Can individuals enter into NIL agreements with boosters? Yes, provided the activity is in accordance with state laws and school policy, is not an impermissible inducement and it does not constitute pay-for-play.

13. Do other sections of NCAA Bylaw 12 outside of NIL still apply under the interim policy? Individuals and institutions in states with NIL laws or executive actions with the force of law in effect: NCAA rules, including prohibitions on pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements, remain in effect, but NIL activities protected by state law will not impact eligibility. Individuals where there is no state law or executive actions: If an individual chooses to engage in an NIL activity, eligibility will not be impacted by NCAA amateurism and athletics eligibility bylaws, but other NCAA rules, including prohibitions on pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements remain in effect."

So, if it's advertising for a local business, or promotional appearances, or benefits given to groups of athletes, but not singled out as a "bag for that guy to come to my school", then it's all OK. THE NCAA SAID SO.

A year ago, the NCAA thought of these collectives as banding together to invest in bringing student athletes into the community, like public appearances at Boys & Girls Clubs, or stuff like that. They probably also thought of collectives as a natural extension of initiatives that college athletic departments put together to invest in facilities, or promoting local businesses.

Boosters giving $50,000 to every lineman, or scholarships to every walk-on, toe the line. You are not paying the specific player to come to your school, you're providing benefits to them all.

The NCAA cannot reverse itself now, and have it stand up in court, after it already issued a ruling that said booster groups can fund players, so long as it's not a contract to come play for my school.

Sometimes I feel like you just want to argue for the hell of it, when you obviously didn't bother to read something that you've wrongly responded to about 3 times.

None of that is about recruits except this. “They cannot push contracts to induce athletes to enroll, either.”

None of that is about recruits except this. “They cannot push contracts to induce athletes to enroll, either.”

Take your head out of ...

How is a kid getting $600,000 to change schools? By promises of advertising and endorsements from local booster groups.

That's all legal now. What the hell is wrong with you? You think the NCAA is going to suddenly declare this all to be illegal? You're an idiot.

How is a kid getting $600,000 to change schools? By promises of advertising and endorsements from local booster groups.

That's all legal now. What the hell is wrong with you? You think the NCAA is going to suddenly declare this all to be illegal? You're an idiot.

Also from one of your links.

11. What is prohibited under the new policy?
Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:

• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should not use NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunity
upon enrollment);

You’re lost in your definitions.

This is from the original NIL policy last July 1.

“While opening name, image and likeness opportunities to student-athletes, the policy in all three divisions preserves the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those rules remain in effect.”

"The new policy preserves the fact college sports are not pay-for-play," said Division II Presidents Council chair Sandra Jordan, chancellor at the University of South Carolina Aiken. "It also reinforces key principles of fairness and integrity across the NCAA and maintains rules prohibiting improper recruiting inducements. It's important any new rules maintain these principles."

Before NIL, “bags” were illegal for recruiting. Last July, NIL was enacted except for recruiting purposes. Reinforced guidelines recently released, NIL was still illegal for recruiting. Nothing has changed as far as boosters paying recruits anything. It’s always been illegal. No “new law” is being put into place and being made retroactive.

• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should not use NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunity
upon enrollment);
I think you may be missing the point. The letter of the law says they can't pay a kid for enrolling at their school. The actuality is that slimy sneaky boosters will find ways around that and it probably isn't really all that hard. And it's difficult, if not impossible, for the NCAA to monitor. If I don't actually pay the kid until after he enrolls, how does anyone know when I promised him the money? All you have to do is make it clear to recruits that the opportunities for NIL are better at school X than schools Y and Z. You don't even have to target specific recruits. Word gets around, especially when agents are involved.

I think you may be missing the point. The letter of the law says they can't pay a kid for enrolling at their school. The actuality is that slimy sneaky boosters will find ways around that and it probably isn't really all that hard. And it's difficult, if not impossible, for the NCAA to monitor. If I don't actually pay the kid until after he enrolls, how does anyone know when I promised him the money? All you have to do is make it clear to recruits that the opportunities for NIL are better at school X than schools Y and Z. You don't even have to target specific recruits. Word gets around, especially when agents are involved.

That’s why I said they should investigate going back to July 1. Just like “bags” not everything is always going to be caught. It’s also why they said they won’t look in the past unless it was something egregious. But no new rule is in place when it comes to boosters being involved in recruiting.

That’s why I said they should investigate going back to July 1. Just like “bags” not everything is always going to be caught. It’s also why they said they won’t look in the past unless it was something egregious. But no new rule is in place when it comes to boosters being involved in recruiting.
But, as I said, there won't be anything to investigate, if boosters do it creatively/intelligently. All you have to do is sign no contract and issue no money until after a player signs. Word will get around where guys can get the biggest NIL contracts without direct contact with boosters. Boosters can "recruit" without recruiting. If we thought the NCAA was ill equipped to enforce the previous rules, there's no way they can enforce this.

But, as I said, there won't be anything to investigate, if boosters do it creatively/intelligently. All you have to do is sign no contract and issue no money until after a player signs. Word will get around where guys can get the biggest NIL contracts without direct contact with boosters. Boosters can "recruit" without recruiting. If we thought the NCAA was ill equipped to enforce the previous rules, there's no way they can enforce this.

Some of these people weren’t very creative. Some were blatant because they felt NIL was a free for all.

Some of these people weren’t very creative. Some were blatant because they felt NIL was a free for all.
Well it'll be cool to see them get nailed, then. Going forward, I have to believe boosters will get smarter.

Well it'll be cool to see them get nailed, then. Going forward, I have to believe boosters will get smarter.

The smartest thing for them to do is to stay away from recruiting or tampering. But as we’ve seen in the past with “bags”, that’s doubtful.

Not Constitutional, actually. IIRC, the language says "There shall be no ex post facto laws." Although that may be in the Declaration, rather than the Constitution.
Not really a law

The smartest thing for them to do is to stay away from recruiting or tampering. But as we’ve seen in the past with “bags”, that’s doubtful.
Well, that would be the ethical thing to do. How long has it been since big time college sports have been ethical?

Well, that would be the ethical thing to do. How long has it been since big time college sports have been ethical?

Pretty much never. None of this was ever my point though. My only point was the ncaa can investigate going backwards for paying a recruit because the rule hasn’t changed and isn’t new. Whether the wimps do or not is a different story and some boosters will take the risk.

upon enrollment);

Look, I'll make this easy for you.

Water flows downhill. The NCAA blocked only 1 path that the water may take - no direct contracts to come to my school.

Everything else that booster groups do is legal. The NCAA said so.

The water has so many other paths to flow downstream to the athlete, and none of those other pathways are illegal.

But everything boosters do - except for a bag - is now LEGAL.
Do you understand that?
The NCAA said so a year ago in an official document to the schools.
There is nothing to investigate going back to last year UNLESS IT WAS A BAG.
Everything else is now LEGAL.
It's so easy to steer money to people.
Just don't make it a direct contract.

Precisely.

And word is easy to share - just look at BYU saying that every walk-on gets their tuition paid by boosters, or the $50K package for all the linemen at that SEC school, free use of a Maserati, comps at local restaurants in exchange for endorsements, endorsement money from local (big) businesses (think about cities bigger than Syracuse), sneaker contracts, etc. The house or job for the parent, like we used to complain about Duke doing.

ALL OF THIS IS LEGAL BEES. What are they going to "investigate"??

Look, I'll make this easy for you.

Water flows downhill. The NCAA blocked only 1 path that the water may take - no direct contracts to come to my school.

Everything else that booster groups do is legal. The NCAA said so.

The water has so many other paths to flow downstream to the athlete, and none of those other pathways are illegal.

Every quote I’ve posted is from links you provided including their original policy from last July. You can’t use NIL for a recruit to attend a school. It’s always been illegal and nothing about that has changed. They can investigate anything they want going backwards because it’s not based on any new “law”. If you can’t understand that I can’t help you any more.

Precisely.

And word is easy to share - just look at BYU saying that every walk-on gets their tuition paid by boosters, or the $50K package for all the linemen at that SEC school, free use of a Maserati, comps at local restaurants in exchange for endorsements, endorsement money from local (big) businesses (think about cities bigger than Syracuse), sneaker contracts, etc. The house or job for the parent, like we used to complain about Duke doing.

ALL OF THIS IS LEGAL BEES. What are they going to "investigate"??

That’s for current student athletes. The investigations would be for recruits.

Every quote I’ve posted is from links you provided including their original policy from last July. You can’t use NIL for a recruit to attend a school. It’s always been illegal and nothing about that has changed. They can investigate anything they want going backwards because it’s not based on any new “law”. If you can’t understand that I can’t help you any more.

Yes, you can cherry pick pieces where the NCAA says "all our old rules apply", but this is a new thing, and they failed to regulate it. They can't go back and say that these booster collectives are illegal now, after they told schools it was OK, and that boosters could enter into contracts with kids - just not as compensation to come to my school. <wink wink>

All a booster has to say is, "These are the kinds of opportunities that are available to a kid like you if you came to our school."

Anything they do - except for directly giving money to a kid to come to your school in a quid-pro-quo - is LEGAL.

Find the language in those 2 articles that says that there are any limits on what boosters do, other than quid-pro-quo's, which have always been illegal?

Remember we went on probation for kids getting paid for no show jobs at the Y? That's legal now. Getting a flashy car? Legal. Getting paid for it? Legal. Sell clothes; legal. How long before Nike or UA or another athletic apparel company makes deals with these elite HS kids?

World Wide Wes (agent referrals, loans to players or their families, etc.) - so long as they are couched as "being available to somebody with your credentials" as our starting QB or whatever. As long as they say that little bit to couch the transaction, it's all OK now.

Yes, you can cherry pick pieces where the NCAA says "all our old rules apply", but this is a new thing, and they failed to regulate it. They can't go back and say that these booster collectives are illegal now, after they told schools it was OK, and that boosters could enter into contracts with kids - just not as compensation to come to my school. <wink wink>

All a booster has to say is, "These are the kinds of opportunities that are available to a kid like you if you came to our school."

Anything they do - except for directly giving money to a kid to come to your school in a quid-pro-quo - is LEGAL.

Find the language in those 2 articles that says that there are any limits on what boosters do, other than quid-pro-quo's, which have always been illegal?

Remember we went on probation for kids getting paid for no show jobs at the Y? That's legal now. Getting a flashy car? Legal. Getting paid for it? Legal. Sell clothes; legal. How long before Nike or UA or another athletic apparel company makes deals with these elite HS kids?

World Wide Wes (agent referrals, loans to players or their families, etc.) - so long as they are couched as "being available to somebody with your credentials" as our starting QB or whatever. As long as they say that little bit to couch the transaction, it's all OK now.

Nevermind

I'm replying to the first post because there are some things about NIL that really bother me.

I like the amateur athletics model that the NCAA developed over the years. I like that players are not compensated directly, in cash, by their schools. I like that there is a payment-in-kind in the form of a scholarship. I like it that everyone on the team is treated equally in that regard. I note that while this model does not encompass direct salaried remuneration for services rendered, there is nonetheless an objective value to the scholarship, and that Syracuse has been "paying" its athletes more than most other schools for a long time now, according to the rules of the NCAA model.

I believe that being a fan means supporting the team through means not targeted to individual players. It means attending games and cheering. It means donating money to the program for general uses, such as the construction of facilities or general recruiting purposes like airfare for coaches. I believe that boosters who seek to influence a program's success through any means that result in direct payments to, or services rendered to, individual players, are pathetic losers who should be publicly called out and highlighted for their stupidity, and corrosive impact on the sport.

I believe there is a troublesome disconnect between the status of players under the NCAA amateur model, and the status of coaches as ordinary employees of the school. I think a lot of that can be improved through NCAA regulations.

I believe there is a troublesome relation between the value extracted from players' labor and the value of the scholarship. I believe that the conferences' TV contracts for football are a corrupting influence on the sport, in their degree. What is the money used for, though? Is it lining the pockets of Athletic Department administrators? Is it funding non-revenue sports at the school? Is it supporting the general fund? I believe that there should be some measure of equity between the value a player/team brings to the school and the value the school extracts from external contracts. However, I believe that the contracts are out of hand, and I also do not believe that players "deserve" "every cent they are owed" under the NCAA amateur model. I believe that funding for non-revenue sports is worthwhile, and football players need to accept that some of their effort will support opportunities for others.

Now, the concept of "Name, Image, and Likeness" is an interesting one. All three components of that term-of-art are inherent to a person, regardless of circumstance. If they inhere to the individual, they cannot - by definition - depend on context. Let's think about that for a moment.

What is the value of an individual's NIL? How would you measure it on an unrestricted, open market? You cannot simply say that the total cash value of everything anyone is willing to give the person is their NIL value, because intent and context matter. Let's say that Joe Blockhead enrolls at LSU and receives $1 million in "NIL" money his first year. Let's also say that he had a standing offer from Alabama to receive $900K in "NIL" money if he enrolled there. If NIL is an inherent part of Joe Blockhead's identity, why are there different NIL values? If NIL is an inherent attribute of a person's identity, then its objective value should be constant.

If NIL value is context-dependent in advance, then it is not NIL. It is direct payment for anticipated services rendered.

I believe that NIL, in its theoretical proper formulation, allows players to be rewarded for their efforts by people who are not in a position to influence the player's team membership. I believe that Eric Dungey is the exemplar of NIL. He developed an Image that fans liked, and was worthy of direct support. Merchandising was the proper channel. Boosters should not have been able to give him money, nor should the school. But he should have been able to get paid for jerseys sold with his name. (But see below)

NIL should not be a vehicle for a small number of influential boosters (losers) to send money to a player. It should be a mechanism for a large number of people to send money to a player based on Name, Image, and Likeness. There should be a statistical test assessing NIL contributions. NIL has to be a community phenomenon. NIL with a huge statistical outlier contribution should be punished and invalidated.

Going back to the earlier question about NIL in advance. It's a thorny problem and I'm not sure there is any way, in theory, to protect against abuses. Let's say that Texas A&M pools a thousand gazillion dollars for NIL. And their NIL collective (a gang of pathetic losers), decides that the position of starting left tackle at Texas A&M carries with it an NIL grant of $1.5 million. That is not NIL, because it does not make any reference to the inherent NIL triumvirate that exists in the player, not in the position. How would you police that?

I'll tell you how I would police it. NCAA regulations dictate that no player can receive NIL in their first year at a school. If that's going to be challenged in court by losers, then I will suggest that no player is eligible to play in his first year at a school, period, unless it's a grad transfer. Mandatory freshman redshirts, and the reinstatement of transfer rules that require a sit-out year. If that is going to be challenged in court, then such losers can take their "sport" and shove it. I'm out.

Even in the case of an Eric Dungey, I am still somewhat uncomfortable about the theoretical status of NIL. Would fans of Boston College buy Eric Dungey jerseys? Fans of Ohio State? If not, then what does NIL mean? It's not "Name, Image, and Likeness of the person", it's "Identity of the person as a member of sports team XYZ". And to me, that invalidates the concept.

Now someone like Michael Jordan has a better claim to NIL. His status is tied to basketball, but it largely transcends his identity as a member of a team. I see validity in NIL when the identity is tied to a broad class, and not to a very specific subclass.

Even if we allow particular context-specific factors to define NIL, then as I understand it, there at least has to be some business nexus to the commerce. Players can sell merchandise. They can advertise for local businesses. And there is an enforcement hook I would use. Sponsorship deals should be open to NCAA investigation, and players can be declared ineligible if the sponsorship is not justifiable as a legitimate business expense. Is there a measurable return on the sponsorship? Is it within reason for advertising purposes? Does a deal fail the smell test for a legitimate business expense?

To be clear, if a local business awards a player $1M in advertising fees, but the business cannot show that the expense resulted in a reasonable return on that investment, then I would bring down the hammer. And I assume that these business-specific expenditures are accounted and reported. I would do whatever possible to get the business in trouble for tax purposes or other regulatory purposes. If it's a good ad spend, fine. If it's booster diddling, then hammer the loser.

Merchandise raises another interesting avenue for abuse. Some booster (loser) buys 10,000 shirts to funnel money to the player. I'd give the NCAA authority to audit such merchandising businesses and watch for crap like that. Declare players ineligible, and hammer the abusers in whatever ways possible.

Now if you don't think the NCAA has any way to audit or enforce stuff like that, then we get to the end game. NIL is a concept that has some validity in theory. If it is not practicable, though, and has no theoretical mechanism for discernment and prevention of abuse, then it is a veneer of respectability spread on a rotten mold.

Did I mention that I hate corrupt boosters? I would love to see a website, with one page per "factory" team, that identifies significant boosters via their Name, Image, and Likeness. I'd love to see them held up for ridicule on players that didn't pan out. How much money did you waste on QB Joe Schmo? I'd love to see SEO used to boost the boosters' search results so that their public reputation is tied to their corrupt stupidity in ruining college football.

I'd also love for folks to laugh at them in public. At airports, at Starbucks, wherever. If their Name, Image, and Likeness is clear enough, then let them deal with a little ostracism. Thanks for ruining college football. LOL at that QB bust you just paid $2M for. Does your wife approve of the way that you waste money on college football players? A couple simple questions like that, and move along.

Maybe there's a way to make NIL work on a solid theoretical foundation. If it's indistinguishable, even in theory, from a corrupt slush fund for losers to funnel money to college football players, then burn the whole thing down. And let me know how I can light a match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom