NIL | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

That’s for current student athletes. The investigations would be for recruits.
But doesn't that only matter if athletes are contacted directly by boosters? If boosters just throw it out there in the media and kids know what's available, similar to knowing clemson has a putting green and a nap room, it's not boosters recruiting even though it is.

But doesn't that only matter if athletes are contacted directly by boosters? If boosters just throw it out there in the media and kids know what's available, similar to knowing clemson has a putting green and a nap room, it's not boosters recruiting even though it is.

The investigations can start with the HS junior who signed an NIL deal worth up to $8m to attend X university.

Put the kids, parents, hs and college coaches, involved boosters under oath and let chips fall.
By the time the courts settle anything a season or 3 will be over.

The investigations can start with the HS junior who signed an NIL deal worth up to $8m to attend X university.
Isn't it easy enough for him to deny that's why he attended the university? He could easily explain it away by saying the booster offered the contract with no strings attached and the player decided to attend the university because it made logistical sense to go to a school located in the area where he had an endorsement deal. Everyone would know it's a lie, but it would be impossible to disprove unless there is something in the contract promising he goes to a specific school (the height of stupidity). High profile pros go to large market cities partly for the better endorsement opportunities there. This scenario wouldn't be that different.

Isn't it easy enough for him to deny that's why he attended the university? He could easily explain it away by saying the booster offered the contract with no strings attached and the player decided to attend the university because it made logistical sense to go to a school located in the area where he had an endorsement deal. Everyone would know it's a lie, but it would be impossible to disprove unless there is something in the contract promising he goes to a specific school (the height of stupidity). High profile pros go to large market cities partly for the better endorsement opportunities there. This scenario wouldn't be that different.

He signed a contract with a schools collective.

I haven't seen any discussion of the new California NIL bill here yet. If this has been posted already, I apologize.

California appears to have cornered the market on good ideas to destroy college athletics.

I haven't seen any discussion of the new California NIL bill here yet. If this has been posted already, I apologize.

California appears to have cornered the market on good ideas to destroy college athletics.

Very interesting article. The most important section deals with possible NCAA actions in response to the passage of a bill like this.

The article mentions that in response to the passage of the original NIL law in California, the NCAA was threatened by justice with antitrust actions if the org "boycotted" California teams. In that case it seems fairly clear why the NCAA couldn't act, because NIL involves payment from third parties to the players, monies not officially channeled through the school in a quasi-wage capacity. The NCAA couldn't use that as a component of its definition of amateurism, because the players still weren't being paid by the school - outside the scholarship.

The article then says that because of this, the NCAA can't or won't do anything to California teams if the revenue-sharing law passes. I don't think that is a clear conclusion, but it may be correct, although not for the reasons stated.

The difference between NIL and revenue sharing is that one is a direct payment from the school to the players, and the other is payment from third parties. The NCAA's definition of amateurism, on which it claims the authority to govern and regulate, is based on money channels directly from the players to the school. In that regard, the proposed California law is nothing like the previous NIL law - it really is a difference of kind, not degree. So the NCAA should not feel shackled by the prior NIL experience when deciding whether to suspend California teams' eligibility.

But the problem is in the legal status of the amateurism definition itself. Justice Kavanaugh explicitly stated in his concurrence on the recent "educational aid grants" case that he doubted whether the entire scheme of no-pay-for-play-except-for-the-scholarship was truly legal. Even though the issue was not raised in the case, his concurrence is a bad omen for the NCAA. Here's how it goes.

NCAA: Our charter defines amateurism in certain ways, and we have declared players ineligible for violating that amateur status. The California law requires players to be in violation of our amateur status on its face, therefore, all players for California teams are ineligible. Clear as day.

Courts: Now that we're asked to discuss it, your amateurism definition is illegal/unconstitutional, and should never have been enforceable in the first place. You got away with it for a long time, but you're done.

That doesn't change what I said above.

Doesn’t change what I’ve been saying either. Recruiting violations should be investigated including going back to July 1 when some overzealous people thought they could now do anything with the advent of NIL. And of course people would lie. If they didn’t there would be no need for an investigation.

After that school and collective is investigated, they could move on to the Addison kid and USC. Not a HS recruit but he was in the portal. Tampering and making offers is just as wrong. Then they should interview the numerous coaches who have said in interviews that “agents” and “representatives” have been talking to their players, even coming on campus, and trying to get some stats to enter the portal.

Doesn’t change what I’ve been saying either. Recruiting violations should be investigated including going back to July 1 when some overzealous people thought they could now do anything with the advent of NIL. And of course people would lie. If they didn’t there would be no need for an investigation.

After that school and collective is investigated, they could move on to the Addison kid and USC. Not a HS recruit but he was in the portal. Tampering and making offers is just as wrong. Then they should interview the numerous coaches who have said in interviews that “agents” and “representatives” have been talking to their players, even coming on campus, and trying to get some stats to enter the portal.
Listen, I'm not arguing what is happening is right. I'm just saying, if the people making these deals have half a brain, there won't be anything to prove wrong doing. That doesn't mean I don't believe there was any, just that I don't think it'll be proveable.

This whole thing has already turned into a complete shitrow as everyone probably expected. This isn't even close to name and likeness. The sleeze and stink surrounding this whole thing is going to choke a lot of traditional fans away from the sport, especially those who are unluckily stuck as the have nots. The biggest hypocrisy is going to be when some of these schools run into the end zone for the alma mater knowing their only there because some snake oil salesman paid the most to get you there. I hate oversight ,and commissions more than anything, but if anything needs regulation it’s this big stinking pile of dirt that college sports is turning into.

Sabin's last line or 2 tell you everything you need to know about the NCAA's ability to enforce their rules.

Mack Brown: “People are buying players right off campuses”.

Saban, Dabo and the other self-righteous millionaires can cry me a river.
It's not about the money. It's about how the money is being used outside of its intended purpose.

LOL, I love it. Let's make this as bad as it can be as quickly as possible so someone has to act and rein it in.

Sorry, Jimbo, you idiotic dissembling POS. Saban is right in this. Your gang of losers just wasted an objectively outrageous amount of money to buy a recruiting class. No pressure, right? Better do something with that gaggle of gold-plated teenagers, or else your shareholders will be VERY ANGRY with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom