NIL | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

The rule should just be no NIL until after athletes are on a campus for a year. That would really slow the play for pay down (though likely not eliminate it)

NIL is a speed limit with zero police. Its unenforceable as there isnt any organization to enforce it. The NCAA is useless for enforcement. It has to be done by the conferences.

Yes ..it's legal way of what most would call..
Well, cheating. It has to be legislated out. These are slush funds. All the Aggie recruits are millionaires. This guy who is NIL attorney is a paid hack.

This is the new normal???

The only reason it is legal as yhere sre no real rules. This is the Wild, Wild West.

There are rules and it’s not legal. Boosters including collectives are representatives of a school and the ncaa has reinforced that and said no no to recruiting.

There are rules and it’s not legal. Boosters including collectives are representatives of a school and the ncaa has reinforced that and said no no to recruiting.
Correct. These slush funds were not the purpose of NIL. However, the schools are left out of any implication cause the booster can dodge culpability by simply saying, " oh, this is for XYZ company...this in not the university involved"...really just a front for cash...pay to play. It's nothing but a sham. Booster money. Nobody is fooled.

The other major problem is the NCAA has declined to enforce these provisions due to fear of lawsuits. The NCAA is toothless. Useless. They have no enforcement wing or capability in NIL...you can have all the laws you want. Legislate daily. Have 1000 laws and statutes. But if there is no legal enforcement, no policing authority or administrative authority or penalties...its all just a worthless scrap of paper.

These guys like Ruiz at Miami do whatever they want. Wild Wild West

Last edited:
NIL is a speed limit with zero police. Its unenforceable as there isnt any organization to enforce it. The NCAA is useless for enforcement. It has to be done by the conferences.
Correct. I agree...The NCAA is a rotting fish. In regards to NIL there is no DA...no police...no judge. No punishment for offenders. As I said elsewhere, without a policing mechanism, why obey any rules? Because it's the right thing to do?...Miami, USC, Texas A& M would have a good laugh over that one.

The solution is what you referenced...Top 5 conferences break away from NCAA and form own entity...and this will be tough as the P5 is top heavy...SEC and B10 are first among P5...they aren't cowtowing to the other 3 conferences. This makes it very tough to get concerted action or agreements when there are divergent goals and lopsided power.

College FB is not the NFL. Alabama and Georgia don't want to accept equal status with Vandy and Duke. One team..one vote. College FB rejects this. But that is how the NFL became a mega juggernaut...Green Bay is every bit the equal of the Giants. Jacksonville is the equal of the Bears. Size of metro population and total franchise value?...doesn't matter. No one of 32 teams has special position. Equals. Same status. One vote.

If college FB can't do this...the sport will be wrecked in a few years. Only solution is break away from NCAA...create viable system with policing authority and no special rules...can't have a repeat of the old Jerry Tarkanian joke, "when UNC or Kentucky have a Level 1 violation...the NCAA gives the death penalty to Cleveland State or Long Beach St"

Last edited:
Saban doesn’t like having competition to buy players. Teams can now pony up and out spend him. He doesn’t like it.
Thats BS. Listen to his interview.

Thats BS. Listen to his interview.
Saban is not a nice guy. Never was .. But he does not cheat. He doesn't have to cheat. His tremendous work ethic, record and legend recruit itself.

Jimbo Fisher I would not trust as far as I could throw a 16 wheeler. He parses words with his good ol boy BS..." We haven't paid a dime to any of these recruits"...???" Well, nobody said you did Jimbo...we said a slush fund built by school boosters is funding this disgrace...your answer for this, " Texas A & M has nothing to do with this. That is NIL money. Those are the rules. We have nothing to do with this."

Ah, the hear no evil...see no evil Rick Pitino defense.

No...BS response. There are no rules...well, there technically are, they mean nothing as none are enforcable... cause the NCAA has been stripped of all authority. There is no longer a policing authority. Boosters are flagrantly breaking rules with slush funds...this is NOT how NIL was designed.. You know exactly what is going on...Jimbo is a fraud.

Saban is not a nice guy. Never was .. But he does not cheat. He doesn't have to cheat. His tremendous work ethic, record and legend recruit itself.

Jimbo Fisher I would not trust as far as I could throw a 16 wheeler. He parses words with his good ol boy BS..." We haven't paid a dime to any of these recruits"...???" Well, nobody said you did Jimbo...we said a slush fund built by school boosters is funding this disgrace...your answer for this, " Texas A & M has nothing to do with this. That is NIL money. Those are the rules. We have nothing to do with this."

Ah, the hear no evil...see no evil Rick Pitino defense.

No...BS response. There are no rules...well, there technically are, they mean nothing as none are enforcable... cause the NCAA has been stripped of all authority. There is no longer a policing authority. Boosters are flagrantly breaking rules with slush funds...this is NOT how NIL was designed.. You know exactly what is going on...Jimbo is a fraud.
I think you’re delusional if you don’t think Saban cheats. The SEC gives players money just for visiting.

I think you’re delusional if you don’t think Saban cheats. The SEC gives players money just for visiting.
I don't think he does...just my opinion.. I cannot prove it...he sells the NFL...the draft picks...the titles...it works. Now he admits they have NIL, but within scope of rules...Saban is pointing out the problem is that other schools are using booster slush funds and no school...including Alabama...can compete vs this...

I really doubt Saban cheated. He is not a very nice person. He is driven and a bully and tyrant. Who is a great football coach. Even Saban admitted he has tried to ease up on the bully part of his personality...that he went too far..I think he realizes unless he brings up what is happening, Alabama will fall behind. They will...

I don't think he does...just my opinion.. I cannot prove it...he sells the NFL...the draft picks...the titles...it works. Now he admits they have NIL, but within scope of rules...Saban is pointing out the problem is that other schools are using booster slush funds and no school...including Alabama...can compete vs this...

I really doubt Saban cheated. He is not a very nice person. He is driven and a bully and tyrant. Who is a great football coach. Even Saban admitted he has tried to ease up on the bully part of his personality...that he went too far..I think he realizes unless he brings up what is happening, Alabama will fall behind. They will...

I assume you also believe players went to Duke because of Coach K and "brotherhood" and not because their parents got new homes and jobs.

Of course, coaches like Krzyzewski and Saban are smart enough to have plausible deniability when it comes to their players and/or their families receiving improper benefits. So, why Saban may not "cheat" because he is not directly involved in Alabama's bag network paying recruits, it does not mean the Alabama football program is clean.

Just to add insult to injury, a poster on our board said that Addison's family showed up at the Pitt football apartments to move his stuff out and they were all wearing USC gear.

Just to add insult to injury, a poster on our board said that Addison's family showed up at the Pitt football apartments to move his stuff out and they were all wearing USC gear.
Why not? They know who is buttering the bread...

Honestly, you shouldn't have to prove he doesn't do something, rather those who accuse him of cheating should prove it. Not a fan of Saban, or Alabama more specifically, so just me being pedantic again.

Honestly, you shouldn't have to prove he doesn't do something, rather those who accuse him of cheating should prove it. Not a fan of Saban, or Alabama more specifically, so just me being pedantic again.
Right...that is one of the problems with the current NIL...Jimbo Fisher is already using it..."prove I cheated". Prove it!!

Well, that is hard as the boosters who create these slush funds don't talk...and they stay away from HC to avoid collusion...they just cheat...the Fisher's know exactly what is happening and turn their heads away. It's just a crazy coincidence every recruit gets a million $$!! Like Pitino and Calipari did for years..."Oh, I had no idea. Never saw anything!"...much like Sgt Schultz in Hogans Hero's..." I know nothing...nothing!!!"

Most commentators who I've read so far disagree with you that the NCAA didn't already let the horse out of the barn.

Saying "no pay for play" is very, very easily circumvented by collectives, which the NCAA had already OK'd without any real regulation.

Most commentators who I've read so far disagree with you that the NCAA didn't already let the horse out of the barn.

Saying "no pay for play" is very, very easily circumvented by collectives, which the NCAA had already OK'd without any real regulation.

That article is an opinion and doesn’t change anything I’ve said.

That article is an opinion and doesn’t change anything I’ve said.

Dozens of articles come to the same conclusion.

I showed you the wording of the NCAA's guidance from July 1, 2021. They have as much chance of rolling NIL collectives back as the would have a chance at winning an antitrust lawsuit.

You're living in denial. Why don't you show us some articles from all the commentators who agree with you?

Are you in charge of university compliance in recruiting or something?

I have no idea why you are so insistent about taking a position that is pretty indefensible, legally speaking.

You can't establish a deal for Name, Image, and Likeness until you have Name, Image, and Likeness.

The whole point of this stupid charade is that NIL is a person trading on aspects of his own inherent identity. Until a particular person enrolls at a school and establishes that his identity is marketable, monies thrown his way are pay for play. Monies guaranteed to "the starting left tackle" regardless of who it is are targeting the "NIL" of the position, the jersey, not the player. And that is not NIL. It's cheating.

Didn't I read somewhere that players aren't allowed to wear their jerseys when appearing in NIL-related activities, also?
Kids are known through recruiting sites now. To an extent, they already have NIL to sell. The Manning kid is a bit of an outlier, but you can't say he is unknown, and therefore in marketable.

Are you in charge of university compliance in recruiting or something?

I have no idea why you are so insistent about taking a position that is pretty indefensible, legally speaking.

The NCAA's ruleset is that kids can't be paid to simply attend a school. Period. There has to be some consideration they are giving in return for the NIL. In the cast of the Texas A&M linemen it's participation in a Not for Profit campaign (which is a crock of BS but creative by their boosters none the less).

The issue with the NCAA isn't the rules - like everything it's enforcement and consistency of enforcement. And since I suspect they won't enforce a thing, then the practice becomes the rule at that point. So in effect you're both right.

Dozens of articles come to the same conclusion.

I showed you the wording of the NCAA's guidance from July 1, 2021. They have as much chance of rolling NIL collectives back as the would have a chance at winning an antitrust lawsuit.

You're living in denial. Why don't you show us some articles from all the commentators who agree with you?

Never said collectibles were going away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom