NIL | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

Completely illegal but the NCAA has no balls.
It's not that they have no balls. It's that they have no leg to stand on. We can know why he went there. The NCAA can know why he went there. But if he gets paid to make appearances, endorse products, sign autographs, etc, there is no proof that he is getting paid to go to Miami. He's getting paid for his NIL. I hate it. And it's exactly what I said would happen. But it's the world we live in.

It's not that they have no balls. It's that they have no leg to stand on. We can know why he went there. The NCAA can know why he went there. But if he gets paid to make appearances, endorse products, sign autographs, etc, there is no proof that he is getting paid to go to Miami. He's getting paid for his NIL. I hate it. And it's exactly what I said would happen. But it's the world we live in.

This is the interim time where the money is crazy. This guy could just as easily flop and be a complete waste of $$$.

According to the article he certainly is getting paid to go to Miami. He’s agreed to the deal and turned down a bigger one from Florida. It’s exactly what the NCAA policy says to can’t do. Word for word.

According to the article he certainly is getting paid to go to Miami. He’s agreed to the deal and turned down a bigger one from Florida. It’s exactly what the NCAA policy says to can’t do. Word for word.
It doesn't matter how a writer frames it. What matters is what's written in the contract. If the contract states he is getting paid for legitimate NIL reasons, it's clean on paper regardless of what we all know. And it's an easy argument for anyone to make that they would choose to live and attend school where his NIL deal is established. Everyone knows it's dirty. As long as the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed there's no PROOF of wrong doing.

It doesn't matter how a writer frames it. What matters is what's written in the contract. If the contract states he is getting paid for legitimate NIL reasons, it's clean on paper regardless of what we all know. And it's an easy argument for anyone to make that they would choose to live and attend school where his NIL deal is established. Everyone knows it's dirty. As long as the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed there's no PROOF of wrong doing.

He’s not a member of the Miami football team. Thus it’s illegal.

It's awesome. Thrilled for the kid.

Life changing money at that age because a grown man cares so much about what he can do in a game.

It's legitimately fantastic. And it's also revealing just how absurdly out of whack the value of some student-athletes has gotten relative to a full scholarship.

It's awesome. Thrilled for the kid.

Life changing money at that age because a grown man cares so much about what he can do in a game.

It's legitimately fantastic. And it's also revealing just how absurdly out of whack the value of some student-athletes has gotten relative to a full scholarship.

I’d be thrilled if Miami was severely punished and the kid was declared ineligible.

It’s illegal because it’s contingent on him going to Miami.

That is clearly stated in the rules that NIL can not be contingent on where you go and that’s why this is illegal.

The amount of money and paying him for endorsements, not illegal. Having it be contingent on him going to Miami, is in fact illegal and why the NCAA has been down in Miami investigating.

However, the NCAA isn’t going to do anything and that’s the issue.

Not before he cashes them checks though.
Yes! Let the monies change hands, and then let the loser who paid out not get value for his expenditure.

It still takes two to tango, but in all this I would much rather see these boosters get screwed. They are the primary problem.

It’s illegal because it’s contingent on him going to Miami.

That is clearly stated in the rules that NIL can not be contingent on where you go and that’s why this is illegal.

The amount of money and paying him for endorsements, not illegal. Having it be contingent on him going to Miami, is in fact illegal and why the NCAA has been down in Miami investigating.

However, the NCAA isn’t going to do anything and that’s the issue.
Everyone knows it. The problem is that you can't prove it. Most people that recieve legal NIL money are going to get it locally/regionally. All he has to say is he chose Miami because he knew the market was a better one for NIL opportunities. He can lie and there's no way to prove he's lying. The NCAA isn't going to do anything, not because they don't want to, but because they can't. This all started with athletes filing lawsuits. The NCAA isn't going to get sued over something when they know their case is so difficult to prove.

He’s not a member of the Miami football team. Thus it’s illegal.
No. It's Illegal if he gets paid to go there. If I want to hire a high school kid from California to endorse my product, it does not affect his eligibility. If I pay him to go to SU it does. As long and I word the contract intelligently and everyone maintains the lie, there is no way to prove it is illegal, regardless of what everyone knows.

I get it. You're frustrated by the dirtiness of it all, but you're angry at the wrong people. This is not something the NCAA has the teeth to regulate. It's too easy to circumvent the rules. Anyone with half a brain knew it would be this way.

No. It's Illegal if he gets paid to go there. If I want to hire a high school kid from California to endorse my product, it does not affect his eligibility. If I pay him to go to SU it does. As long and I word the contract intelligently and everyone maintains the lie, there is no way to prove it is illegal, regardless of what everyone knows.

I get it. You're frustrated by the dirtiness of it all, but you're angry at the wrong people. This is not something the NCAA has the teeth to regulate. It's too easy to circumvent the rules. Anyone with half a brain knew it would be this way.
Exactly. We all knew this was going to happen, and what are we getting angry at - that money is going to players rather than good old State U which can provide them with the best education available and help them transition from boys to men ...all while netting State U millions of dollars? That ship has sailed and in my opinion sailed years ago.

Exactly. We all knew this was going to happen, and what are we getting angry at - that money is going to players rather than good old State U which can provide them with the best education available and help them transition from boys to men ...all while netting State U millions of dollars? That ship has sailed and in my opinion sailed years ago.

That’s not what I’m angry about

I think the kids deserve to be paid for their NIL. It’s only fair

What I don’t like is the poaching that is occuring via the transfer portal and with high school recruits.

It’s being documented that these larger than life collectives are saying “hey if you sign with us you will get this money.” It explicitly says that you can not use NIL as a recruiting tool, period. That also means boosters can’t say anything either about potential money they will get. I would strongly doubt that Ruiz is NOT a booster.

What I don’t like is the poaching that is occuring via the transfer portal and with high school recruits.

It’s being documented that these larger than life collectives are saying “hey if you sign with us you will get this money.” It explicitly says that you can not use NIL as a recruiting tool, period. That also means boosters can’t say anything either about potential money they will get. I would strongly doubt that Ruiz is NOT a booster.
I totally understand and get your point - I guess I just don't think it is any different than what has been happening. It is just more out in the open and therefore more organized. Again, I totally see the differing opinions on this, just think the schools and "adults" have had it their way for a long time and now they need to compete a bit more or decide they don't want to play under the new rules.

Players are allowed to seek out comps and programs can say so and so who played here got X.

It's all stupid.

If the NCAA shows some teeth and imposes punishment on the Miami’s and USCs who are clearly violating the regulations as written, and if the offending school challenges in court, keep in mind this would be a civil, not criminal matter. Burden of proof is not beyond a reasonable doubt, it is based on a preponderance of evidence. Preponderance of evidence certainly exists that Ruiz and Miami are using NIL in recruiting efforts and inducement to transfer. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. And I have to think there are more institutions in the NCAA like Syracuse and Pittsburgh who are outraged and frustrated than Miami and USC who are abusing the spirit of the initiative

If the NCAA shows some teeth and imposes punishment on the Miami’s and USCs who are clearly violating the regulations as written, and if the offending school challenges in court, keep in mind this would be a civil, not criminal matter. Burden of proof is not beyond a reasonable doubt, it is based on a preponderance of evidence. Preponderance of evidence certainly exists that Ruiz and Miami are using NIL in recruiting efforts and inducement to transfer. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. And I have to think there are more institutions in the NCAA like Syracuse and Pittsburgh who are outraged and frustrated than Miami and USC who are abusing the spirit of the initiative
Unrelated to the topic at hand, this is one huge reason why I want nothing to do with having Miami as a permanent partner in any scheduling model. Not that some other ACC schools won't attempt the same. Miami is already blatantly going all in on NIL inducements and already has access to some of the best talent pools in the country even before NIL.

The other question would be how the NCAA thinks it would be viewed in the court of public opinion. I think their assumption is that they would be viewed as the bully, especially if it's the athlete bringing the lawsuit. Most already see them as the bad guy and I don't think they want to make that worse.

Is all of this illegal (per the current rules), YES. Clearly.

At the end of the day nobody is going to push to really stop this or enforce rules. I don't think the powers that be care that much anymore. I truly don't.

This is the new reality of college sports. Get on board or get left in the dust.

Some people are clearly confused or can’t read. Other ncaa nil policy clearly states, as it always has even before NIL that recruits can’t be paid to come to your school. Schools have been punished in the past. Schools have been mandated to cut ties with boosters who are thought to cheat. And what happened last year with the fbi even getting involved? Didn’t our own Tony Bland lose his job? People act like the ncaa can’t act. They can if they have the balls which they probably don’t. They’re investigating Miami and have interviewed Ruiz. Nail their asses.

Some people are clearly confused or can’t read. Other ncaa nil policy clearly states, as it always has even before NIL that recruits can’t be paid to come to your school. Schools have been punished in the past. Schools have been mandated to cut ties with boosters who are thought to cheat. And what happened last year with the fbi even getting involved? Didn’t our own Tony Bland lose his job? People act like the ncaa can’t act. They can if they have the balls which they probably don’t. They’re investigating Miami and have interviewed Ruiz. Nail their asses.
The difference is pre-NIL/Supreme court ruling vs. Post. FBI and Tony Bland was pre-NIL/Supreme Court ruling. Wild wild west now

Spoke to a few SEC boosters and they think NIL is only going to grow. Some boosters think (SEC) schools will eventually tell the boosters to donate to the NIL consortiums , instead donating to the schools, as the schools won't need to money due to the bump in tv revenue the SEC is going to get.

I dont see it changing until some part is ready to come in and regulate (and i am not smart enough to predict who or what that looks like). NIL money is only going to grow. Like mentioned before, the ROI to the booster is helping their team recruit (which some estimate recruiting is 80%-90% of the driver to win these days), and the benefits associated with that.

Last edited:
They won't do anything because they would have to investigate Texas A@M.
We know there were shenanigans there, but they won't touch the SEC or Big 10. The NCAA needs to go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom