NIL | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

The NCAA's ruleset is that kids can't be paid to simply attend a school. Period. There has to be some consideration they are giving in return for the NIL. In the cast of the Texas A&M linemen it's participation in a Not for Profit campaign (which is a crock of BS but creative by their boosters none the less).

The issue with the NCAA isn't the rules - like everything it's enforcement and consistency of enforcement. And since I suspect they won't enforce a thing, then the practice becomes the rule at that point. So in effect you're both right.

Exactly. There are a few facts that some people want to deny.

The NCAA has long considered boosters as representatives of a university.

The original NCAA NIL policy said NIL cannot go to recruits.

The updated policy recently reaffirmed that NIL can’t be used for recruits.

Those 3 things are indisputable facts.

The thing that isn’t a fact and is anyones guess is will the NCAA investigate and punish the cheaters.

All I’ve ever said is that NIL for recruits is illegal per NCAA policy. Fact.

Never said collectibles were going away.

Do you disagree that proving "pay to play" is almost impossible?

Any collective can say (as I said to you previously ...): "The kinds of opportunities you would have as our starting QB (or PG, or whatever) are in the range of ... working with .... to promote ....."

That's it. Not Guilty.
The NCAA itself has already said that's OK.

That's why the Brigham Young plan to fund the cost of attendance to all walk-ons - it doesn't single any individual out for his own personal "bag". It's what we offer as part of our benefits. Similarly with that pool for the offensive linemen at Texas A & Whatever.

Exactly. There are a few facts that some people want to deny.

The NCAA has long considered boosters as representatives of a university.

This is true.
The original NCAA NIL policy said NIL cannot go to recruits.

Nope. It clearly said that university collectives are ok, and that "OF COURSE" they are intended to benefit the athlete. The general idea is that this be characterized as advertising and marketing opportunity, not pay for play. As long as you do that, the NCAA said BOOSTER GROUPS CAN DO THIS. Go read it again, the original July 2021 Guidance document. I posted this above, the original one, in this thread. Read ALL of it, not just the parts you like, that support your argument. You have to read and apply the WHOLE THING.

Those 3 things are indisputable facts.

The thing that isn’t a fact and is anyones guess is will the NCAA investigate and punish the cheaters.

All I’ve ever said is that NIL for recruits is illegal per NCAA policy. Fact.

If the NCAA ever really tried to sanction a school over this, based on May 2022 changes to its rules relating to NIL and Booster Collectives from July 2021, they WOULD NOT WIN IN COURT.

FACT. Pay for Play was never OK, but Collectives making deals with athletes was OK. You can't offer it to a recruit, but you can tell a recruit that "these kinds of things are available for somebody like you."

They can try to rescind that a year later, but they can't really enforce it for anything that may have happened between July 2021 and May 2022, so long as it doesn't violate the "Prime Directive" - No (direct ...) "Pay For Play".

But any other advertising and marketing opportunities are pretty much protected by a growing collection of state laws. Did you notice how prominently "compliance with state laws" has appeared in this stuff?

That's a little more than $150K per scholarship player.

Obviously there will be a sliding scale, with certain positions worth more than others.

It's kind of amazing that they've already done the math, and know what their players are looking for, in terms of compensation.

Players' unions are coming soon.

Per the new guidance (see link below), this is correct. The guidance clarifies and amplifies the original guidance (effective July 1, 2021). Now, as before, benefits (i.e., NIL payments) cannot be offered to induce enrollment (i.e., to "PSA's") or to current SA's for performance ("pay for play"). The prohibitions cover member institutions and anyone acting on their behalf, including boosters. The definition of "boosters" is expansive (any individual or entity "promoting" member institutions including collectives). Here is an excerpt from the guidance:

"Specifically, NCAA rules preclude boosters from engaging in recruiting activities, including recruiting conversations, on behalf of a school. Further, NCAA recruiting rules preclude boosters from providing benefits to PSAs and preclude institutional staff members from being involved, directly or indirectly, with the provision of benefits to a PSA. Finally, it is important to note that existing NCAA prohibitions related to pay-for-play have not changed as a result of the Interim NIL Policy."

What a joke. Dump them all. Seriously, "I need $1.5 to stay here," go F yourself. Punk.

The question is whether amount is now higher than what boosters were paying under the table a few years ago.
Guys were paid under table, but hard to believe it was at these levels.

One thing that cracks me up about these booster " collectives"...isn't this term Stalin used in Soviet Union in 1920'-30's...peasant collectives or farming collectives?...hey, the Russians would have liked the college football collectives better...$2 million per year. Stalin stole most of the harvest they produced. If they only played college football instead.

Problem is...even if your team wins title, it will be tarnished...fans will say you just paid a bunch of ringers. Takes a lot of fun out of sport. Big turn off. .my prediction...many die hard college FB fans will flee and turn to NFL. Which will dominate even more than it does now. NFL is King.

Yikes! I said it before and will say it again.

We've only got a couple years before we won't be able to compete, so we better make some hay these next couple years while we have talent that we can still afford.

The rumor on the Women's Basketball board is Fair had a 100,000 dollar NIL deal to go to Miami.
So the Ohio St thought of 13 million might be a little low.
If a school in women's basketball will offer 100 thousand, just think how much 22 football players will cost.

I’m hoping other tailgate groups will also set up at Syracuse.
Happy to chat with leaders of other tailgates and share our story, lessons learned and how best to navigate the process. We would love to see nothing more than each regular tailgate group in Syracuse step forward and sponsor a player with tailgate naming rights $$$.

Ohio State head coach Ryan Day recently remarked that he believed it would cost about $13 million in NIL deals each year for the Buckeyes to continue fielding a competitive roster.

What a joke. Dump them all. Seriously, "I need $1.5 to stay here," go F yourself. Punk.

The question is whether amount is now higher than what boosters were paying under the table a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom