NIL | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

I believe agents are capped at 5% of the players playing contract in the pros, depending on the league. So agents have taken adantage of endorsement deals where there is no such cap.
Ah.

This is a subscriber article, but the headline is interesting.

SMU Pony Express not far behind.
Screenshot_20220809-175339_Chrome.jpg

The NCAA is just sucking up to the big money schools for fear of losing them.
The NCAA has 0 power. Now that they have let the kids make money off of their image (rightfully so)… there is no stopping the freight train they have created.

This is how it's going to work? (Connection to JP Estrella, also.)

So much BS. If the NCAA had any balls they’d shut a lot of this down involving recruits. $8m for a 5 star QB. 100% against the ncaa policy. 100%. Shut Tennessee down, ban Spyre from interacting with any school or athlete and make the player have to sit a year.

NIL is a dream come true for the NCAA.
(1) The schools don't have to pay anything. All the bucks come from private sources. Much better than ever growing stipends for all mens + womens athletes.
(2) Almost all the enforcement headaches go away. Pay for play is legal. Just make sure the schools/coaches aren't seemingly involved (wink, wink).
(3) All the big talent winds up at the big factory schools who can pay the most. This is good for TV ratings which leads to bigger TV rights fees for the 2 super conferences.

Why didn't anyone think of this before? Of course for most of the D1 and even most of the P5 conference members this is going to be a disaster as they get relegated to also rans and eventually left outs in the new era of super conference expansion of the biggest fish.

A number of the regulars from the Fine Mess tailgate met last night to continue to push forward on the initiative to form a collective to support Syracuse athletes.

We made a number of decisions. Here are some highlights:
  • Initial stipend raised to $5000, Balance of pledges collected will be used to front merchandise costs, supplemented by 50-50 funds as needed
  • Profit from merchandise sales will be split with the player. Our half will cover cost of unsold merchandise with balance used as seed money for next year and special guest appearances
  • In addition to our named sponsor we are considering offering a small appearance fee to one non-football playing athlete each week to appear at the tailgate and address fans, potential sign autographs. More to come on this.
  • All merchandise will be from Syracuse University official licensees to ensure quality and give us the right to use University logos and trademarks
  • A canvass letter went out this morning to 24 potential name sponsors (football players) based on criteria discussed. Student athletes are asked to respond with a brief narrative describing why they would be an ideal candidate
  • Executive committee will review responses and select one player to send an offering letter to.
  • Everyone who has made a pledge should have recently received an email from dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com with payment details. If you have not received it, send a PM to Consigliere. Prompt payment will be appreciated.
  • Tentative merchandise offering - T shirts, koozies, autographed photos, and 7 autographed footballs to be used as second prizes for our 50-50
  • Once we finalize merchandise offering you will have the opportunity to pre-order here and pick up at the Louisville tailgate. (We can discuss shipping options, but not sure we want to commit to shipping right now
  • Executive Committee:
  • Project Manager / CFO - Consigliere
  • Merchandise Czar - TexanMark
  • Player Contact - Cuseregular
  • Communications Director - sutomcat
  • Board Members - rrlbees, JRHEETER, giacofan, JeremyCuse, Headmaster 9, GMac1.0, lincolncuse, others?
One big goal of establishing this collective is to do it right. We want to use NIL the way it was designed to work; to help struggling athletes make ends meet and put a little money in their pocket. We aren't going to select true freshman, or a new transfer. We are going to work closely with SUAD and we hope what we do will be used as an example for future collectives set up to support Syracuse athletes.

As communications director, I will be taking the lead on posting updates regarding the collective. One of our first tasks will be to pick a player. There are a lot of good candidates. This is not going to be an easy task.

We want to identify a good player who is also a good person and make them feel appreciated by their extended Syracuse family. We plan to challenge other Syracuse football tailgates to do the same with other players.

Together, we hope to make a difference, one player at a time.

In case you didn't get the email explaining how to contribute or are just now deciding you want to contribute to this cause, here are instructions on how to help, provided by Consigliere. Thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

Please remit ASAP via:
Paypal at dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com
Venmo or Zelle at 315-283-0587

Paper checks can be sent to:
Mark Cupelo
8196 Rachel Court
Baldwinsville, NY 13027

Send me an email when payment is sent so I can track.

As a special, limited time offer, add $44 to your pledge amount and you will be among the first to receive a free, limited edition koozie emblazoned with our new tailgate brand and logo!

Thanks for your support and prompt attention.
I have a golf buddy whose son is a 2 yr starter in the B1G but not Ohio St. BTW, SU recruited him hard and there was interest but he was on the west coast and time ran out.

My buddy went to a talk (at the end of last season?) by the Ohio St head coach who said that the program needed $13-16 mil in NIL to keep his current team intact.

I don't know if this sort of thing is well known or not but wanted to report it in case it isn't.

I can't see that is sustainable unless Universities stop asking for money for facilities

I have a golf buddy whose son is a 2 yr starter in the B1G but not Ohio St. BTW, SU recruited him hard and there was interest but he was on the west coast and time ran out.

My buddy went to a talk (at the end of last season?) by the Ohio St head coach who said that the program needed $13-16 mil in NIL to keep his current team intact.

I don't know if this sort of thing is well known or not but wanted to report it in case it isn't.

Yeah there was a massive amount of press about his comments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom